iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white pines---lower branches dying

Started by wolf nemeth, July 25, 2016, 10:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf nemeth

Nope, it's not  the pine bark beetle, because this seems to be a process  of  about 3 weeks, where the needles just start dying very slowly, always the lower branches first. No real scarring on the branches, just  dead needles.  Anybody have an opinion?
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

WDH

Could be normal needle cast.  Pine needles only live for about 3 years, then they die, fall off, and are replaced.  They typically die the furtherest from the branch tip or bud as these are the oldest needles on a branch.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wolf nemeth

Well, I hope you're  correc, but  these pines are 25 years old and only one of them is doing this. We have had pine bark beetles in the past, though (although I have read that white pines are not affected by them)  which only the pheremone packets manage to  keep in  check.

WDH

You very well might have something worse.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

~Ron

wolf nemeth

Hey Ron, that's a great site. thanks.  I read a lot of the articles, but I think  your allusion to overcrowding may be the answer. The trees were  planted 10 feet apart----25 years ago. Now they're 24" diameter, with huge lower banches that perhaps cannot compete any more....

curdog

Matsucoccus scale and Caliciopsis pinea canker is the info we got back from a pathologist about white pines with the same symptoms.

wolf nemeth

Curdog,  did the pathologist recommend any specific treatment?

curdog

The last email I received said that they were taking cultures to verify the disease /diseases that were affecting the trees.  I haven't heard back yet. But I think that this is something that has popped up in a few of the counties that border Tennessee in western North Carolina. I haven't noticed any in my area of the foothills, but we don't have the extent of white pine that is found further west.  I'll pass along anything I find out.

Rural

Quote from: wolf nemeth on July 27, 2016, 03:15:45 PM
Hey Ron, that's a great site. thanks.  I read a lot of the articles, but I think  your allusion to overcrowding may be the answer. The trees were  planted 10 feet apart----25 years ago. Now they're 24" diameter, with huge lower banches that perhaps cannot compete any more....

In my 30 yr old pine plantation in SW Ontario with trees at 10 - 12' spacing ALL but those on the outer rows have no live branches for 10 to 20' up due to  lack of light, this is normal in such plantations (unless they have been thinned) so far as I can tell. So long as the tops are green things should be fine!

ppine

Losing needles in early fall, often fakes people out, sometimes foresters.
Can you show us some photos?
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!