iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crusarius’ sawmill build - started with Linn Lumber basic kit

Started by Crusarius, September 18, 2017, 01:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

from the engine? no. The only issue I have is the 2 posts design has a tendency to walk instead of roll. walking is when one side moves then the other moves. This may only happy when I get sawdust buildup on the rails. last time I was cutting I took my scrapers off to see if I needed them. Yup. I need them :)

One of the modifications I have been thinking of doing is moving the sawframe closer to the mast. I doubt that will do anything for the walking problem but may make it go up and down easier.

proptorudder

I built my mill using Linn Lumber plans. There is a lot of weight hanging out and it can be a challenge to raise the carriage. I added a set of rollers to the slides which did help a lot. I might consider a power unit later but for now this works. I also designed a different blade guide roller mount. I'm not a big fan of drilling large oversized holes to make adjustments but that's just me. I could post some pics if your interested in seeing my changes. 

Crusarius

sure. love to see them. may help many other ppl in their builds as well.

I agree with the large holes but understand why they did that. I have a mill, slotting holes is easy. not many ppl have that capability.

Crusarius

hey, I like that. I kept trying to figure out how to do the bearings. Kept thinking making pivoting hinges and all sorts of complex solutions when all I needed was 2 adjustment bolts. Sometimes I feel so dumb. Especially when I over complicate things.

Thanks for the pics I may have to implement those on my mill. Right now I am fighting with slow raising.

Magicman

Quote from: proptorudder on November 14, 2018, 11:13:22 AMDid you have any vibration problems with your mill?

If you have vibration while sawing it could very well be coming from those orange belts not seated in your bandwheels.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

proptorudder

I posted the pics out of order. Sorry about that. The top roller is a bearing of course but the bottom is a drill bushing with bronze bearings. I wanted to keep the thru bolts 1/2 inch and also keep the OD small to provide clearance for the acme screw. 

Crusarius

ahh. thats nice. super simple. I like simple.

ever have any problems with sawdust buildup?

proptorudder

I was hoping that was the problem but when I checked it with a dial indicator it was nearly perfect. I may remove them and try regular belts.

proptorudder

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bwstout

I tried the orange belts and the head vibrated so bad I thought it was going to jump off the bed. I would bet if you go to regular belts you will not have the vibration problem, at lease this cured my problem. I do have a DIY shade tree mill ;D
home built mill

waynorthmountie

Crusarius.

Check out this old guys build. Pay attention to his backstops and how he swings them up from the otherside. Only improvement i could think of is for them to swing the other way do a sawhead bumper would push them out of the way.

Esko's Homemade Bandsaw Mill - YouTube

Crusarius

That is a pretty slick setup. I do like his clamps. 

Right now my mill is all torn down getting painted. I need to get this build thread caught back up. Maybe I will have time over thanksgiving.

I feel bad letting it get so far behind but life always seems to get in the way.

petefrom bearswamp

I thought about that too Lynn.
I tried them and could never get them seated properly as per bwstout
They were hanging on my wall as decoration, but I dont know where they are now.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ljohnsaw

That mill of Esko's is pretty neat.  Watch the companion video for more details.  I like his blade guide bar.  He turned the square stock 45° so it will always stay true - very clever.  His head lift is simple, fast and easy, too.  I wish I saw this before my build.  Interesting theory on the linear guides for the head but seems to work for him!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

hmmm. will have to try to remember to look those up later. I wish I did more learning before building my mill but now that I have been cutting with it I learned quite a bit. I am designing V2 as we go. I don't know if I will ever build it but it can be fun to play :)

Crusarius

So I have not updated this thread for quite some time. I just finished rereading the entire thread and realized its pretty well up to date. I am currently working on painting it so I can get it out of my garage and be able to have a little more work space.

The trailer is 90% complete. probably making a big mistake painting it cause I still need to add toe boards and finish the storage box on the front. I don't think either of those are going to be effected to much with the paint. The box will probably be built then screwed into place. I have a kool idea in my head for the toe boards but that probably will not get done till next spring.

Here is what I finally ended up with for the log clamps. I have about 10 hours on the engine and at least 8 hours have been with the latest clamp design design. I am really liking them they are working great. My only problem was the point on the sleeve was contacting before the point on the arm. So before painting them I moved the point a little to hopefully fix that problem. These clamps have held some pretty big stubborn logs in place with absolutely no movement.

Crusarius

So you guys ready for the great color reveal? Unfortunately, it did not end up as obnoxious as I wanted but the 2 colors do clash very nicely. :)

Crusarius

Trailer in its all glorious primer grey.

Base color.

And now for the contrasting color. This color is being used anywhere there is a pinch point. It should be visible enough at night to prevent mishaps with ppl running into the trailer. And hopefully help prevent me from damaging me.

And here is a real nice picture for color contrast.

Hope the colors did not disappoint that much :)

Crusarius

Hmm that list pic is kinda offset. Its a darker blue and a green for the contrast color. 

sumday

Colors look great! At least you'll be able to tell which rig is yours in the parking lot....

Crusarius

haha funny story bout that. good thing my key didnt work in the other guys sled :)

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

btulloh

HM126

Thank You Sponsors!