iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 detroit vs mf perkins 4.248

Started by vtlogger1973, October 26, 2010, 10:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtlogger1973

i am considering buying a78 230 TJ with a 4 cyl perkins engine, but i am unfamiliar with this motor.  I own a 230 with 353, and like it alot.  Is anyone out there able to compare the two for me.  Horsepower, fuel consumption; longevity, availability and cost of parts, cold weather starting, etc.  I wouldnt know a new one from one that was worn out (perkins). and that is my only hangup about this machine.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if thr perkinws failed, could it easily be replaced with a detroit?     thanks

fishpharmer

Welcome to the Forestry Forum vtlogger1973! 8)

Not much skidder experience for me.  I can share my experience of owning a farm tractor with the 4 cylinder Perkins 248 engine.  At 3000 hours the engine has been trouble free.  Fuel consumption seems reasonable, I can run a 8-10 hour day on 21.7 gallons.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mark K

Welcome to the forum. I have a 225 with a 353 and have had good luck with it. One of the other loggers around here has a TJ with a 6cly 360 perkins in it. Been a real good machine for him. Pretty good on fuel and starts good as long as the glow plugs work. We have a couple of perkins engines on the farm in our Whites and Olivers. Held up very well and are fairly cheap to rebuild. Good luck
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

aksawyer

Am very familiar with both engines.Both, as you all know, have their individual advantages.The perkins are never having any catostophic failures,such as the other higher reving motors,(two stroke detriot).The perkins builds its power much slower than almost all the other engines.But once you own one it will be with you forever.They just dont blow-up....The detriots are strong running engines they last fairly long,cheaper to rebuild,at least up here,.If your machine is an auto tranny you should lean towards the detriot,as the quicker power is better for the hard to break loose turns.Aksawyer       12 degrees out today   still very little snow.

Thank You Sponsors!