iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 395xp

Started by jokers, May 04, 2001, 01:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jokers

Anybody running one? How does it compare to anything else which would be comparable that you have experience with? What are you using it for? Looking forward to your replies. Russ

Tom

Hey jokers,

I don't know what a 395 is but it sounds BIG.
I use a 61 and have had it for about 6 years.  I want a new saw but can't seem to be able to wear this one out. :)

Corley5

I bought one in March to finish cutting some maple timber.  It'll cut!!  It replaced a 2094 Jonsered that I'd had for years that was a VERY good saw but it was getting old and was no longer reliable.  I wanted a 2095 but no one around here had one and I needed a saw.  I'm absolutely satisfied with the 395 but red and black are still my favorite colors.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jokers

Thanks for the feedback Tom and Greg. The comparison that you offered, Greg, was just the kind of info I`m looking for. Anyone else tried one, maybe offer a comparison to an 066 or anything else you might consider similar? Russ

Tom

Hey Corley5....Me too....but I still like my Husky

Jeff

I'm a BIG saw guy, not a little chainsaw guy. My saw needs to be 5 to 6 foot in diameter. With that said, I know little to nothing about chain saws so Tom, what the heck is that picture?? Somethun to do with Georgia I guess
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Jeff,
I admire big saws and the guys that carry them.  Anything bigger than my 61 would be like me at the Thanksgiving table where my eyes are bigger than my stomach.

I like red and black too.  That picture represents the only red and black I've got. Handsome, isn't it?

Gordon

I don't own anything near the 395xp, well I've got a 288xp. That is my biggest saw. The next in line is the 272xp and then the 51. Love all of them, start on the second or third pull. Nothing better, they keep their rpm up in the cut real well and that is what counts. But nothing beats cubic inches on the big stuff.

I do own a Stihl brushcutter. Got a deal on that I couldn't pass up.

Crazy_Canadian

Hi Russ, I heard the 395Xp has two rings as does the 372XP. Husky is making some real nice saws now. I ordered a 357XPG, but I wont get it from Sweden till Oct.
 I bet my Walkerized 372XPG will out cut a stock 395 though.
 John

Tom

Hey Crazey_Canadian

I accidentally found the Walker Chainsaw site a couple of days ago. Funny you mentioned it.  What do they do to a saw to make it better that would cause someone to ship them one?

Crazy_Canadian

Hi Tom, Walkers does a few things to a saw according to your requirements. I had three 372XP's done for logging. It brings a whole new meaning to the word chainsaw. I dont ask Walkers to many questions, rather I prefer then to just work their magic. I know they port intake and exhaust, defeat semi fixed jets, increase compression and rework the muffler. This adds one additional Hp to a 372 and its like having a stock 066 in your hands with the lighter weight. the 372Xp has nil to no vibration. Due to the lower temp that the Walkerized saw runs at, (about100 degrees), the saw will last much longer.
 Walkers have been reworking saws for 30 years for chainsaw racers and loggers and are located in Naniamo B.C. and will gladly talk if you call them at 250-753-8309. All I can say is that I am more than happy with their work after using a saw professionaly for over 20 years. Madsens does the same thing but are limited by law as to what they will do to a saw, since we all know that if the Americans cant sue you they will shoot you.;-)
 John

jokers

Hey John, what if I get the 395 Walkerized? Think it will outcut a 3120 or 088. Oughta be one wicked saw. Can`t figure out why you can`t get a 357, they seem to be all over around here. If you want to have your dealer get one from a local to me dealer, like say, Commercial Cutters, I could get it up to you, or even send it right to Walkers for you. Russ :P

Aussie

I bought a new 395xp today it works very well, cuts very quick. I have a 24 inch bar on it at the moment but will put a smaller bar on for cutting firewood and I may also cut some slabs with a larger bar.  I don't have alot of experience with chainsaws, my previous saw was a old Homelight (C7 I think) it was probably about 35 years old. I have used a stihl 064 and an 090 as well. I like the husky because it seems to be balanced very well and it does cut great and also not much vibration.

Tom

Hey Aussie, welcome to the Forestry Forum.  There is a Chainsaw class on the Timberbuyer home page.  I found it interesting and helpful.

Aussie

Thanks Tom, I'll check it out!

CHARLIE

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanJ

Out of all the walkerized saws I've had none of em lasted for more than six months! If you want to get some REAL power out of your husky send em my way, I will show you the meaning of power! Walker charges way too much also! After my last saw that walker did blew up, I started doin em myself! I do more that walker does also, I could tell you but then everyone would be doin it ta their saws. I have had my 394 for two years now without a problem! I replaced the casing last month, but the head and piston are still in tip top shape! The way I do saws, THREE additional hp is gained! I limit my models to 394 right now because of lack of parts! I have done fallers' saws who have been going to walker for years, and they all have come back wanting there new saws done as well! My sign is P+ just above the gas tank, if you see one of these saws, that is one of my creations!

DJ

Jake

Dan, what do you charge to tweek a 395xp and where are you located? Jake

Timber_Tramp

Hi Russ, I just bought a 385XP but havent tried it yet.
 Heres a good saw though for blocking firewood. Its got 3/8 pitch RS chain with an 8 tooth an cuts rather fast.
 John
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1426327&a=14078100&p=57118423&Sequence=0&res=high

Timber_Tramp

CHARLIE

OK....that did it!  I'm gonna have my Craftsman .2 cc  bored, stroked, ported, balanced and hamstrung. Then I'm gonna go find me the biggest tree I can and cut it into toothpicks. :o :o 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

jokers

I`ve been lurking around a couple of other places lately where the talk has frequently turned to saws modified by Sawracr (Jon Ruppely) Ken Dunn (KDHotsaws) and Ruppedoggy  (Mike Ruppely), and I`ve got the answer I`m looking for. The 395XP is a good saw with plenty of potential, but Ken Dunn is getting nearly 8 HP out of the 372XP, a saw I know well, with good longevity. The 372XP is the perfect combo of low weight and balance for me and this seems like the way to go. Maybe I need a 385XP modified by sawracr as well since they are reputed to cut with an 088 Stihl or 3120 Husky at several pounds less. Tim the tool man better look out. Russ

John_Boisselier

Anyone have a link to  any of the saw modification outfits?  We run both Stihls and Huskys on our jobs, but I'm the only one around here who can handle one of the big saws all day 084, 088, 2100 etc).  If we could get some high powered smaller saws, we might actually get some reasonable production out of someone besides me, and I might get a break too. ;D   I'm not looking for racing saws, and would prefer a magic wand or a laser, but anything reasonably close in a chainsaw with good durability works for me.  Thanks.
The Woodsman

jokers

Try www.walkerssawshop.com or kdhotsaw@hotmail.com. Walkers looks like a good value for the money with some significant gains but Ken Dunn is getting some outrageous horsepower with good longevity, albeit at a higher cost. Ken says he has one faller who has used the same modified 371XP Husky for more than three years so far. He claims to get between 7.5 and 8 HP out of a 371 or 372. I think I`m gonna have me one of those. Russ

Thank You Sponsors!