iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12x16 TF on treated deck frame?

Started by JustPlaneBen, October 07, 2017, 09:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustPlaneBen

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and new to timber framing. I'm in the process of building a small shed/cabin in the woods. It's primarily going to be a storage shed, but I'm going to insulate it and put in a small wood stove so that it can be used as a workshop or living space. I am a builder by trade, and have some left over materials that I can use to help keep the cost down. Anyway... I decided on a 12x16 size, and set 6 concrete block piers last weekend. I have the material to do a 2x8 pressure treated deck frame, and I have rigid foam to insulate the floor. I have a couple sheets of advantech, and was going to buy a few more, and that would be the floor system. I was then planning to just build a simple stud frame with rough sawn lumber, sheath, and insulate with rigid foam. But... I think it would be a lot more fun to build a timber frame, something I don't have much experience with. It seems that the 12x16 Garden shed from Jack Sobon's book is a popular choice, and it would fit on the piers I'e already set.

So... down to my question. Being that I have the lumber to build a floor, and it will be a lot cheaper than purchasing the floor timbers from a saw mill, would it be reasonable to build a 12x16 timber frame on a PT 2x8 and advantech deck frame? In thinking it over, it seems fine to me. The 6 posts would basically sit directly above the 6 concrete block piers that I have already set. My only concern is how to attach the posts to the frame. I was thinking of doing a mortise of sorts on the bottom of each post, so that they would have a small shelf that would rest on the corner of the deck frame, and then extend 8" down so they could be through bolted to the 2x8...

I still need to get a price on timbers from a local saw mill before I commit to doing this rather than a stud frame, but I think it would be fun. Also, I live in upstate NY, so we do have snow. The floor frame is a 10" off the ground at it's lowest point (ground is not level). If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd love to hear 'em!

Ben

Crusarius

I don't have any of the info you are looking for but I have thought about the same thing. So, welcome to the forum, I am now along for the ride. Wherabouts in Upstate ny?

Dave Shepard

You can create mortises in the 2x floor framing to accept stub tenons on the bottoms of the posts. Simpson makes a variety of straps and nailer plates that you can run down the outside of the post to the sill boards and cover with siding.

I am raising a 12x16 Sobon shed at Old Austerlitz tomorrow, for the Austerlitz, NY historical society's fall festival.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JustPlaneBen

Thanks for the input. Using simpson hardware is a good idea. I was thinking of just carriage bolting it, but a nailer plate could do a nice job of tying it together. I'm up in the Adirondacks, a couple hours from Austerlitz, but I'm tempted to run down there tomorrow to observe the process.

Dave Shepard

It was nice meeting you, and thanks for all the help. I'll be doing it again next year.

With a bunch of help, some volunteers, and some people roped in from the audience, we raised a 12x16 shed frame today.

A friend of mine nailing up a pine bough:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

VTKubotaM6800

Hi JustPlaneBen, I know this post is quite old but I was curious if you ended up completing the TF on top of pressure treated 2x8 deck? I am about to begin a similar project and was wondering if there was anything to learn from yours.
M6800, Farmi JL 601 winch, Titan BX26S chipper, Pronovost P-860 snowblower, Woods 9000 backhoe, Stihl MS362C-M

kantuckid

I would consider the many versions of hex & torx head larger screws found in log & timberframe use now days for this Op's situation.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!