iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best way to sharpen stakes?

Started by xlogger, May 14, 2012, 06:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

What's the best way to sharpen tomato or any stakes? Looking for a large pencil sharpener :D.
I was talking to a feed store today about selling him some.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Shotgun

Howdy XL,

You might want to use the Forestry Forum's "Search" function.  It's a winner, and it will give you quite a few hits on sharpening stakes.  If you haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, it could be a useful tool for you. Look for it toward the top left side of any page and then just follow your nose.

Good luck,

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Larry

Quote from: xlogger on May 14, 2012, 06:49:06 PM
Looking for a large pencil sharpener :D.

I'm guessing NC might have a surplus of those things...used to put the points on tobacco sticks.  Know any baccer farmers?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sealark37

Tobacco sticks don't need points.  You tie the leaves to the sticks and hang them in the barn to cure.  There are pointing dies available that can be powered in any way you want.  The problem is holding and feeding the stick while it is being sharpened.  Regards, Clark

Peter Drouin

Hudson works good for me :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Papa1stuff

Do you dry the lumber before cutting the stakes?
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Peter Drouin

No , I cut  sharping and bundel green :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

We have a Hud son. Broad axe is faster, simpler, and cheaper. And, it never clogs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

js2743

Quote from: sealark37 on May 14, 2012, 07:36:01 PM
Tobacco sticks don't need points.  You tie the leaves to the sticks and hang them in the barn to cure.  regards, Clark

if your growing burley tobacco you need pointed sticks, so they dont fall over in the field when you put the tobacco on them.

Jim_Rogers

I use a Hud-Son pointer my self.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

tyb525

I wouldn't want to use a broadaxe for any kind of production. Even if the machine is slower it doesn't get tired or risk cutting it's toes off like a human does.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Peter Drouin

I don;t know, I can sharpen stakes as fast as I can pick them up :D :D they have to be green and you have to have sharp blades. rain today so I did some 5' stakes . I make 10 to a bundle made 20 or so bundles in about 20 mins. the hun-son works good for me. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

That sounds about right, I figured about 7 seconds per stake, making about 500 at a run.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

snowshoveler

500 at a time...wow.
I can hardly make myself cut 100 stickers at a time.
I am impressed.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

xlogger

I found that hudson did make one and I sent off for more info on it. Has anyone seen a used one for sale around?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

xlogger

How's anyone market on stakes? I was talking to the feed store the other day and they sell the oak 1.5X1.5X6 for $1.39, so I'm sure they would not pay $1.00 probably less. That's would be $1.00 per bd ft or less if I wholesale them. I get $1.00 flat sawn now when I sell any and I would have to sharpen the stakes and saw more on the mill. Maybe not a market to look at.

bandmiller2

Just got done tipping 300 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 stakes on my tablesaw,upside down pyramid.Not hard and goes quick and plenty good unless your making a liveing with stakes.Caution at least wear eye protection or better full face protection saw  will throw little pieces in you face occasionaly. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jim_Rogers

bandmiller2: Happy birthday......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

bandmiller2

Thanks Jim,this b-day was almost forgotten nephew got married the same day.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!