iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood MX34 Experience ?

Started by wannabeonetoo, December 24, 2010, 09:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannabeonetoo

So has anyone got any "real world" experience/feedback on the new MX34 yet ??
I'm shopping for a mill & don't want to rule one of these out,they look like a good manual mill for the "buck".

Thanks again.......seems as though I'm always asking for mill advice  :-[

Steve

fishpharmer

I don't know the first thing about MX34.

This place is about helping folks out. I ask a lot of questions and I fully expect to ask lots of questions about "mill advice" in the future.  Ask all you want, that's how you learn.  Someday, you will give the answers. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

tazz

I use a MX34 and I think its a pretty good machine. Of course this is my first mill and I've been sawing less than a year but it seems to do a pretty good job. If I were in the market and had the money I would go for a mill with all the hydrolics though. It can get pretty labor intense trying to roll a 32" log over with a cant hook. If you go for this machine you might want to upgrade to the larger engine. Mine has the 16hp on it and it bogs down in those large oaks and I have to go really slow. Also, they advertise that it will cut 13' length, I can only get about 12'-6" on mine. I have cut as large as 32" diameter and I believe it would have handeled two more inches.
Hope this helps.

gizmodust

Steve, If I'm not mistaken, the MX34 replaces the LM2000, which is a good horse.  I've run mine for >4yrs. now.  It
will make you sweat on the big ones, but the smiles are still the same.  Haven't had any major problems.  Good entry and learning machine.  Have to agree with "tazz" though, a larger engine would be better.  Just my .02.  Good Luck.
Always liked wood with alot of character

Thank You Sponsors!