iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sochi Winter Olympic Games

Started by Magicman, January 25, 2014, 09:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Forget the publicity and political hype, I love watching the Olympics; Winter or Summer does not matter.

Pat and I were volunteer workers at the 1996 Atlanta Summer Games, and were asked by the Salt Lake City Olympic Committee to work at their 2002 Winter Games, but declined.  We will always wonder whether we should have??

Anyway it will be a refreshing change from the usual TV programming.  I look forward to watching.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

What I like too is to see the country that they are in. The history of it,the cities and the country life and the heritage and the people. I wonder how much I will see about Russia.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

I enjoy watching the Olympics but this is one that I wouldn't go to in person. I sincerely hope it's uneventful in respect to the threats.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Qweaver

Me Too Magicman.  Soft chair, hot coco, deer chili, flickering fire and big screen TV.  Sarah and I will not get much work done those days.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Roger2561

A friend of mine who I grew up with was saying that he feels the Olympics is a waste of time to watch.  He said that the interest in it we had as kids is no longer there.  I mentioned to him that when we were kids all we had was 2 TV channels to pick from for our viewing pleasure; either you watched the news or the Olympics.  Today, with the hundreds of channels available to us there are too many distractions, so of course viewership and interest will be down.  Plus, when they, the networks broadcast the events it's not live anymore, it's taped.  With the computer one can watch the event live from work (not me) or where ever you happen to be at the time.  What will help us where we live is we have 3 or 4 youngsters from neighboring towns who will be competing.  I will watch to root them on regardless of how they do.  One of them is the reigning Olympic gold medalist and reigning national champion in moguls.  She has an excellent shot of bringing home the gold again.  Good luck to all the US athletes and stay safe.  Roger   
Roger

Ken

My wife and I are both looking forward to watching the events.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

thecfarm

Roger,what is the name of the mogul champ? I might not catch it,but just in case.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roger2561

Quote from: thecfarm on January 25, 2014, 02:32:21 PM
Roger,what is the name of the mogul champ? I might not catch it,but just in case.

Her name is Hannah Karney of Norwich, VT.  She attended Hanover High School in Hanover, NH.  She's a real sweet kid, down to earth.  The kind of athlete one would want their kids too look to as a roll mode.  If she does indeed win gold again this year, she'll make history doing so.  It seems that champions past have never been able to win Olympic gold in back to back Olympics.  She wants to change that part history.  Last year at the world championships she won gold in the same event which was history in itself. That's never happened before so she has a great chance of repeating as Olympic champion.  I'll be rooting her on.
Roger

thecfarm

Hannah Karney,got it. I'll be rooting for her too.

LAZERDAN

Hannah Kearney - TeamUSA.org        She brings some serioius credentials   I think we all should back her, kinda of like a forum adoption.  It dosen't get any better Hannah from Hanover   GO HANNAH  USA       Lazerdan  (sorry I can't get the link to link )

moosehunter

I was going to start a post about Olympic games connection but there are already two in this thread! My brother in law is the ski tech for the Chinese aerial team. The ones that jump straight up in the air doing all manor of flips and twists. I will still be rooting for the American team but for him just being involved is a dream come true. Rumor is that the Chinese and the Americans are the only two aerial teams that have a full time ski tech. He has been traveling with them for about a month now. I enjoy watching just about any Olympic event.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

clww

We'll be watching as much as we can once the games start.
My wife was an alternate for the '72 Munich games US swim team. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

DonT

I always look forward to watching the Olympics.We get to watch some sports that are not always in the limelight,and watch some great athletes do there thing.I especially like the womans hockey,not played by professional athletes but some pretty good hockey games.Unfortunately I just read that the Canadian govt has issued a travel warning to anyone planning on attending the games,that they do not consider the area to be safe and advise against going, in light of the security concerns. Sad really.

WDH

The Olympic Games are my favorite sporting events.  I never miss watching them.  Ever. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

florida

I enjoy the athletic part but can't bear the non-stop interviews and "color" as they call it. I think they show about 20 minutes of commercials during every hour too. I record it and watch the next night so I can blitz through all of that junk.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Stinny

The winter Olympics got me thinking about my old home town of Brattleboro Vt. My family lived there until 1967. I was 3 when we arrived, and 13 when we moved back to Maine. As a kid growing up, there was only one activity that I remember with so much interest now... ski jumping. The Brattleboro Outing Club had an amazing youth program for young jumpers, and I was one of them. Our next-door neighbors had 6 boys and most of them were jumpers too. We worked out, trained, competed in many jumping meets and dreamed about someday jumping at Harris Hill. Brattleboro's Harris Hill is a 90 meter ski jump that has been launching athletes into the air for 90 years. One of only 6 regulation sized and maintained hills in the US (they even have snow making), it's story is pretty cool. If you have any interest, you can go to their website... www.harrishillskijump.com

Back to my time there... I was too young to jump that hill but I sure do remember it well. Our youth program had us there all the time packing the outrun (the landing area below the jump). We'd start at the bottom, pack up with our 8' jumping skis, and ski back down to do it again. I remember being terrified just skiing down that outrun, never mind jumping. Thankfully, we moved before I had to face that demon. The biggest hill I ever jumped on was 30 meters. Even won a Maine state jumping event as a senior some years later (that's mostly because the guys I jumped against were only on the jumping teams at their schools because their coaches begged them to take their downhill skis off and give jumping a try). To this day, I have a great amount of respect for those who launch off those big jumps. According to a really good Yankee Mag article about Harris Hill, the reason ski jumping no longer is part of every northeast high school ski team's program is because of the "agony of defeat". Yup, that iconic intro to ABC's Wide World of Sports, where the jumper loses balance on the in-run and takes a bad tumble off the side of the jump. No matter that he was not badly hurt, that was too much for the school boards across the NE. Too bad really... I've always thought giant slalom and downhill was far more dangerous. Anyway, if you enjoy the Olympics, catch at least one of the jumping events and watch em fly. I sure will.

Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

blackfoot griz

A young lady (kid?) from Whitefish, Montana made the team.  15 year old Maggie Voisin apparently is the youngest participant on the US team.  Hope she does well!  She just won a silver medal at the winter x games.

WDH

Too bad that they don't have a Tree ID Event  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

:D
I think that would be during the Summer Games.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

No, it would be more sporting without leaves  :D.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 27, 2014, 09:21:26 PM
No, it would be more sporting without leaves  :D.

The terrorist would slip in a Powder Post Beetle on you.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pigman

Quote from: WDH on January 27, 2014, 09:10:06 PM
Too bad that they don't have a Tree ID Event  :).
You would only get silver. Dodgy would get gold. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Don't count the old dog out yet.

Magicman

Two days until the opening ceremony !!!

sandhills

Quote from: blackfoot griz on January 27, 2014, 09:30:17 AM
A young lady (kid?) from Whitefish, Montana made the team.  15 year old Maggie Voisin apparently is the youngest participant on the US team.  Hope she does well!  She just won a silver medal at the winter x games.
Don't know about the rest of you but at 15 and made an Olympic team, I'd call her a young lady!  I do believe she's earned it  ;).  Thanks blackfoot griz, I don't follow sports all that much but I'll be watching for her now.

Magicman

Even watching failures and stuff that I have no idea what they are doing is better than the normal TV programming.

Those snowboarding gals were very acrobatic to say the least.   :)

Magicman

I would agree that the opening ceremony was Dazzling.  OK maybe long and drawn out, but an entertaining display of lighting technology.  It was a nice beginning and I hope that the terror concerns subside.

thecfarm

The ballet did not do much for me. A few minutes is fine,but on and on it went. I know in Russia that is a big deal from what they was saying. I did not stay up for the whole thing. Like that floor show and all of the light shows.
Let the games begin.

chain

They must have lost a continent, seeing only four interlocking circles last night. I think they said there were 88 countries participating, the highest total ever for winter O.

I think they should add another winter sport...mountain logging & skidding with horses. Russia, Canada, would be in as well as USA. All that glitters is not Gold, there's a log in there somewhere!

Magicman

I heard on the news that they "fixed" the ring for the Russian broadcasts.   ;D

Brucer

Yep. They did a few trial runs before the games, and filmed them. When things started to go wrong during the actual ceremony the Russian broadcast manager had them punch in one of the earlier videos. That's what appeared on Russian TV and any overseas broadcasts that tied directly into the Russian feed.

Canadian and US broadcasts were from their own cameras and showed what really happened.

The IOC says it's all OK. I guess the spectacle is more important than the technical :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

Yup, it is still more interesting than whatever is on elsewhere.   ;D

fat olde elf

Sochi brings back memories.  I was asked to manage the flowers and decorations for the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid. I spent over 30 days there and Bonnie and I were in the arena when the US beat the Russians. I was given a participants medal for my efforts. We all had infinite credentials and could go virtually anywhere. All of our meals were at the Hilton and we had our own double wide trailer.

Security was fairly tight but nothing like the deal today. I still think the Olympics are great but I hate cold weather !!  Say your prayers..........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: fat olde elf on February 09, 2014, 02:34:09 AM
Sochi brings back memories.  I was asked to manage the flowers and decorations for the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid. I spent over 30 days there and Bonnie and I were in the arena when the US beat the Russians. I was given a participants medal for my efforts. We all had infinite credentials and could go virtually anywhere. All of our meals were at the Hilton and we had our own double wide trailer.

FOE, WOW! This is something to be proud of. Pretty neat if ya ask me.  smiley_thumbsup

red oaks lumber

david
your just jelous about the double wide trailer :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on February 09, 2014, 10:56:08 AM
david
your just jelous about the double wide trailer :D

That's pretty funny Steve.  :D
Sing it all together now, "WELL WE'RE MOVING ON UP.......".  :D

WmFritz

Quote from: fat olde elf on February 09, 2014, 02:34:09 AM
I spent over 30 days there and Bonnie and I were in the arena when the US beat the Russians.

You must be referring to hockey, of course. That place must have been on fire!
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

clww

We watched the ski jumping earlier. I think that takes a lot of courage! 8)
Watching the bi-Athlon competition now.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

The games continue to be a breath of fresh air from the normal TV programming.   :)

WDH

I love them.  A special treat, for sure. 

Chuck White

I'm not really much of a Hockey fan, but when I got to my brothers house this morning, the U.S.A. vs Russia hockey game was in progress.

Reminded me of the 1980 game in Lake Placid, final score USA 3/Russia 2.

I'll tell you what though, those are 2 good teams and no one would have anything to feel ashamed of if they lost.  Very professional!  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I was proud to see several USA athletes earn medals yesterday and last night.  I'm gonna be sad when the games end because the Olympic activities continue to be entertaining.   :)

thecfarm

There are many stories that brightens my day.

clww

I watched the figure skating/ice dancing finals with my wife last night. ::)
Great to see us get the Gold! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

Those competing are the best in the world .I enjoy the olympics and I don't really like other sports events .To me I get more enjoyment out of watching paint dry as watching a football game or worse yet golf .

Magicman

I root for our Canadian friends except when they are competing against the USA.  :)

Magicman

The ladies hockey game was a thriller.  A disappointment for the USA team, but a hard fought victory for our Canadian friends.

Ken

I have been really impressed with the sportsmanship and friendship amongst the athletes.  The competitors are the first to congratulate the others at the end of their competition. 

Quote from: Magicman on February 20, 2014, 07:03:34 PM
The ladies hockey game was a thriller.  A disappointment for the USA team, but a hard fought victory for our Canadian friends.
Although I had to work I was able to listen to the game on the radio.  Very exciting finish.  Watched the highlights tonight on tv.  The Canadian men vs the US men tomorrow should also be a great game.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ryan D

The women's gold medal final today was one of the most exciting games of hockey I can remember ever watching, male or female. My heart was pounding just sitting there watching it. I watched the women's curling final before that too which we won!!! Lots of freezing rain here today so it wasn't too hard to convince myself to stay home  :) and it was worth it.

DonT

Freezing rain day here,so great day to sit by the fire and watch Olympic hockey.I hope todays game is as good as yesterdays,womans game.

Magicman

We have had a few disappointments but also some nice wins.  Overall it has been a nice change from the normal.   :)

I'll be sad to see it end.

Magicman

Congratulations to team Canada for their Gold Medal Hockey win.   smiley_thumbsup

drobertson

We watched a little last evening, saw a great story of a Russian family meeting their daughter who they gave up for adoption early in their marriage.  The daughter was raised in America with some birth defects, but has become quite the athlete,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!