iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log splitter stalling

Started by dugan978, February 07, 2014, 01:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dugan978

i have a old log splitter i got on CL for cheap. it was meant to run off a tractor. switched the hoses around and put a 8hp motor on it and a pump. the engine and pump came off another splitter and both were working fine before. i hooked everything up on the new splitter and when it starts it runs for a few seconds and then shuts down. almost like theres something blocking the flow. could it be the relief valve needs to be adjusted? please let me know thanks.

beenthere

Quoteand when it starts it runs for a few seconds and then shuts down.

Meaning the engine quits ? Sounds like hooked up wrong for oil to flow from the pump through the valve bank.
But need more description of the problem, and a bit more about your connections from the old rig to the new.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
We'll try to get you fixed up and splitting.   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

Could be the inlet and outlet hoses on the valve switched. If not that, then probably wrong type of control valve, closed center. Need open center valve for motor driven system.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, dugan978.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Farmerjw

If it worked before, right now I don't think I could even turn over my log splitter let alone get it to run.  So if you are in the single and below zero temps and your splitter isn't in a heated shop, fluids may just be to stiff. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Old Iron nut

If you have a modern motor with the automatic low oil level shutdown on it that may be the problem. I once had to diagnose a motor like that with the same problem. Turns out the owner was a bit on the cheap side and did not have enough oil in the motor. He had quite a few laughs and kidding from his buddies on that one! Cheers, Old Iron nut.

gspren

I think pineywoods has it nailed, closed center valve. If there is a plug looking thing on the valve body its possible to convert it to open center like you need with a motor driven pump. Lots of John Deere tractors use closed center hydraulics.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

clww

I agree with the previous posts. Check the engine oil level and the hydraulic hose routing. If these are good to go, let it warm up quite a bit if it's cold out. I run my splitter ram through four complete cycles without any wood pieces, regardless of the outdoor temps, each time I use it. I would also check the fluid level in the hydraulic reservoir. If it is low, that may cause a stall, too.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

coxy

try a thinner oil I run atf in all mine never had any problems  with them they start in the cold much better

r.man

Does it stop as if it was just turned off or as if the load snubbed it. The first could be an oil safety switch and the second could be valve incompatibility or reversed hoses.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

gspren

Since the OP said it was originaly used on a tractor I am still thinking it's a closed center valve, many tractors used closed center hydraulics and the valve just wont work on an open center system without modification. If you can post some close up pics of the valve we can probably tell. It's often a simple hacksaw modification to convert the valve.

two-legged-sawmill

Welcome to the Forum, dugan978. I ran in to that problem back in 1954 when I was building a woodsplitter using scrounge-up parts.  It done exactly what you described! Pineywood recognized the problem. It would be nice to hear what you find? Low engine oil wasn't being used yet. What part of the country do you Hail from?  Dan sr
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

dugan978

sorry guys been wicked busy and from saying the term "wicked" you can probably already tell im from good ole mass. this is the latest the engine will run for a few seconds then shut off. but when i go to start it again its really hard to turn over. like oil is stuck somewhere. i dont believe its low oil shutoff. the motor was running fine on other splitter. i have it going from tank to pump from pump to inlet on control. then from there bank to tank. then the two hoses for the back and front side of piston. i will try to get a picuture of my setup. thanks.

beenthere

Will the engine run fine without the pump connected to it? i.e. it won't "shut off".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dugan978

i will have to try doing that. it starts up no problem. just once it starts pumping it makes a weird noise and cuts right off.

thecfarm

dugan978,welcome to the forum. Sounds like the guys are onto something here. The fluid has no place to go and it binds up and stalls out the motor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dugan978

It's pushing oil to controls but not out of controls. My theory is something is wrong in the controls or need to be fixed and so it's not letting oil circle through it. It's going to the valve and it has no where to go causing the engine to shut down

sandhills

That's closed center hydraulics as Piney stated, set up for a tractor (JD has closed center and IH open, makes it a lot of fun when you have both  :D).  You want to find the plug on the valve bank and change it over to open center so the fluid has a place to go without using the controls on the valve.  The ones I've worked on usually just take a shorter plug, and welcome to the forum.  Keep us posted on what you find.

dugan978

I really have to get some pictures up. I have no clue what to do to switch it over

pineywoods

Not much doubt. you have a closed center valve, probably off a john deere tractor coupled with a positive displacement gear pump. An open center valve has a passage to allow oil to pass straight through until the lever is pulled. Then oil is diverted out to the cylinder. Closed center has no pass-through passage, has to be used with a special pump that has some type of internal pressure relief valve. Some valves can be converted. Nothing wrong with your motor. It is being overloaded and stalled trying to pump oil through a completely plugged off passage. Try surpluscenter.com for a replacement valve.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sandhills

Best way I can describe it, along your control valve that the levers are mounted on (this is without looking at one in front of me) there should be a plug on the outlet end if memory serves correct.  It looks about the same as where one of the levers would be, unscrew it and it will be a "plug" inside, longer for closed center, shorter for open center.  That plug is what is denying oil to flow past the valves when you're not using any of the levers on your splitter, by shortening it a small amount it will allow fluid to flow by when valves aren't in use.  My disclaimer is I've only switched a few and don't have anything here to look at or go by, other than your description of the problem.  The plug may unscrew from the bottom of the valve body also, someone else here who knows a lot more than me will be along shortly  :).

EDIT:  sorry Pineywoods already did,wasn't paying attention  :)

snowstorm

a closed center valve dose not have a releif in it. they are used with piston pumps and the releif is at the pump. so its power on demand. if it runs 3000psi then you have 3000psi waiting at the valve ready to go to work. just buy a new open center valve. some have the plug to convert them some dont

dugan978

I will check to see if plug is accessible.

gspren

If I lived closer I'd trade you valves, my tractor mounted splitter has a open center and I want to get a closed center for it, actually I want one that's convertible so I can switch it since my old 1956 JD620 is open center and my 1988 JD2355 is closed center.

dugan978

ok i think i have found it where can i get a shorter plug?

Thank You Sponsors!