iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eggs

Started by Peter Drouin, February 21, 2014, 06:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Why do some eggs look good and some have wrinkles? I have had chickens before, but what's up with this ? A good one and one with wrinkles :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have 12 hens and I don't know which one is doing it :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I've seen it kinda like that,BUT never that much. This year layers? I have found some with just about a skin around them. No shell,just a soft skin.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Red Good

Old hen maybe ? lol
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Him-roids.  :D :D :D :D :D or Her-roids.  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Raider

If we got "skin"eggs, it was because we were short on Oyster shell for the hens. Could be older hens also.

Peter Drouin

All 1 year old and I do give them grit,
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ken

There's the problem.  Feeding them grits

Oops  Just reread your post and you said grit.  Is that just a single serving of grits? :D
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Alexanderthelate

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You probably had that egg in a kiln dryer just to fool us.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LeeB

If they are only 1 year old, I suspect it has to do with an immature hen.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Nick_William

Could possibly be Infectious Bronchitis. I don't believe it's anything to be concerned about if your chickens all look healthy and I'm pretty sure they become immune to it too.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Alexanderthelate on February 21, 2014, 07:44:27 PM
Calcium shortage?
True! Now this may seem hard to believe but one reason they say for the demise of the ringneck pheasant in Ohio was because of prilled fertilizer .The hens couldn't tell the difference  between it and the small stones neccessary to make egg shells. As a result they layed  eggs with no shells or so the story goes .

thecfarm

That's why I asked how old. I has some weird ones in the first year. I let my out of the fenced in area some. I would also bring them green stuff and leaves to scratch and peck around in. Made great compost too. I also brought some Scratch and Feed. Man.they loved that stuff. I would throw some of that stuff on the ground and they all would run for it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Alcranb

At the beginning of the laying cycle soft shells can be common. Keeping a pan of oyster shells in the pen will help. The grits are helpful for them to grind their food especially if they're Southern birds (sorry I couldn't resist  ::) ) but do little for shell development.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Peter Drouin

1 or 2 times a week I give them a 5 gal bucket of grit which is sand with gravel mix. They all look good and eat a lot, fresh water all day and a clean house. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

According to Ask. com there is more than one reason for wrinkled egg shells!

http://myjournalkohn.blogspot.com/2013/04/why-did-my-chicken-lay-that-strange-egg.html
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tree-farmer

One of our hens a few years back used to lay the occasional wrinkled egg. No rime or reason they we could determine. She has since retired on the 401 dumpling plan. I kind of miss getting the surprise odd ball egg.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

goose63

Happy birthday Tree farmer  8) 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

chevytaHOE5674

Like stated above grit is good for their digestion and helps their bodies grind food up. It does not help provide them calcium to produce a good egg shell.

Our hens have free choice access to oyster shells, this way they can get the proper amount of calcium to make a good hard shell. Can usually tell when the shells get low because we will start getting soft or deformed shelled eggs.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

petefrom bearswamp

Tree-farmer you made me chuckle.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

drobertson

I've never seen one of those wrinkled eggs,  but thanks Chuck for the link, good stuff there,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I know that I would "blow" that egg and keep that shell.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

We always had kind of "free range " hens when I was a kid and gave them oyster shells .

I have no idea how they do caged layers but assume it's in their food ration .

When my daughter had the ducks we just fed them high protien laying mash.I never counted them but I'd say each hen layed maybe 50 60 before she let them build a clutch and incubate them .Lawdy 60 70 80 little yellow ducklings  waddling around ,that was a hoot . About mid June my pond looked like it was on the international flyway except a white Pekin can't fly .

36 coupe

Dont fuss,I see one now and then.Usually from old hens.Its a quite a process to make an egg Only the hen knows how.

Thank You Sponsors!