iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Question About A SawDust Blower

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 21, 2018, 10:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Lets say I have a 2 hp motor.
I want to know how far that motor can blow sawdust down a PVC pipe going straight out of a shed.

Now on the other end, how far can a 2 hp motor suck up sawdust?

Is there a formula to figure it out?
I can't find a chart anywhere.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pineywoods

I don't have an exact answer but I can give you an example that works. I use 6 inch metal stovepipe, cheaper than pvc and readily available, plus no static problems. My 2hp blower is about in the middle of a 50 ft run of pipe. 25 ft suction and 25 ft blown. I do once in a while get jams from dripping wet cypress sawdust or stringy cedar bark. Pics in my gallery and posts in the sawmill section..There is one short section (about 2 ft) of 5 inch flex hose. My blower is a 2hp harbor freight..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks Piney, its funny but that is exactly where I would be getting my 2 hp motor.  :D
I looked at it the other day.

Your info is a big help.
Thanks. :)

YellowHammer

I use 10 foot of 4 inch flex on the mill.  Then a plastic ball joint, which is necessary.  The 5 foot of fixed to an elbow and 15 feet of 6 inch to what used to be a 2 hp grizzly blower then out about 15 feet to the dump bin.  A 2 hp was marginal, it would clog when I mowed high speed through wide poplar, or similar.  With your wide head, that may be even more problematic.  I now have a 5 hp Timberking, no clogs, no waiting.  Much, much better.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

paul case

I have a 2hp grizzly on both my mills with about 12 to 14' of flex 4'' and hard plastic out side about 10' with no problems. The blowers do have a screen on them that catches a piece of bark once in a while.

I tried the HF blower and burned 3 of them up and took my money back after the third one. The grizzly are much better. The sawdust has worn out the ''shell'' on one of mine and we reshelled it with 1/8'' sheet metal. We have one blower that has been in use for us over 5 years. Still works good.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

A word about the HF blowers. The have 2. Avoid the free standing blower unit, go for the shop dust collector and discard the bag and cyclone.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

Easy to make swivel. Take the rubber gasket out of the elbow and grease the end of the pipe. Spring keeps the joint together and allows it to turn. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sandsawmill14

I cant say for sure on a 2hp but at work we blow wood pellets or sawdust (depending on which we have for fuel) about 80'out and then about 20' up into a cyclone on top of a bin with a 5 p blower but it is slick pipe flex pipe really cuts down the length you can use because of friction unless you spend alot of money on the pipe  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

POSTON WIDEHEAD

OK, new question. Looking at Dave Shepard's photo, where did you get the rubberized hose at the top of your pic?
o can't find them any where around here. i was thinking now, maybe a RV place my have them.

Dave Shepard

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet from Grizzly Tools.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

Woodmaster has the stuff cheaper than Grizzly. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

YellowHammer

I noticed this picture had my whole dust collection system in it, including the ball swivel and blower.  The metal pipe is Lowes ductwork, the flex hose is from Amazon, as well as the swivel.  I also have it with a T where it services all the tools in my shop, and its seen in the picture going through the wall.   

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

OK....now......where can I order a 5 hp motor that is 110 or 220....NOT 3 phase.
I think I would be better with a 5 hp

YellowHammer

Electric Wood Planers & Molding Machines | Woodmaster Tools

Woodmaster and Timberking are the same blower, 220V single phase.  I was able to get a discount because I didn't buy the whole package, just the blower, motor mount and switch.

Its very heavy duty, thick aluminum, huge impeller.  You can tell them how long you want the mag starter electrical cord so you can mount the switch anywhere.  The 6 inch stovepipe at Lowes or HD is a very snug, perfect fit on the inlet and exhaust.  I also have a 6" $15 blast gate installed (Amazon) so I can shut off the ductwork when I'm not using the mill and direct all the suction to the tools inside.  
YellowHammerisms:

Hilltop366

Jack S

Poston Check charlotte craigslist, type dust collector under general heading it shows a 3hp HF duel system 1 ph 230 volt, Also if you want to buy local Grangers has any type motor you want. They are just off 77 east side downtown area charlotte.
               Jack

Southside

@POSTON WIDEHEAD  the unit YH posted a link to is the same one you and I were discussing, a week or two back??  I have it and it does a great job.  The mag starter comes with a 30 amp male plug on it, just need a 30 amp / 250V receptacle to plug it into, very easy to set up.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

The tradeoff is the bigger, more Hp the blower, the smaller the sawdust shovel needed to get up what gets missed.  
YellowHammerisms:

thecfarm

If the salesman figures out the footage of your tubing and says you need a 4 hp motor,tell him you want a bigger one. Than when he says you won't need it,tell him you still want bigger, Than when he tries the same line,ask him who is paying for it and using each and every day when it's not a perfect day blowing sawdust. ;D  Yes,it MIGHT work for a while,but when things starts to get worn out,which they will,the more hp will not even notice it. Than when you want to do something diffeant in a year or two,that extra hp is there to be used for something you did not even think of when you first bought it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

I suppose you know this but it has not been brought up here.

We have a good setup that pulls all the dust going out the chute and send it out of the building. I mean it gets all of that. However with a debarker there is dust coming off the other side of the log and then the dust off the boards and such. We have to blow out under our mill at least 2 times a week and in less than 3 weeks we clean out the loader side of the mill or the loaders will not let down to catch logs from the 2 8x8 we set logs on. We probably get 4 or 5 yards of sawdust there each time we clean it out.

The blower will get a lot of it but it will not solve all your clean up problems.
PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Dave Shepard

Quote from: thecfarm on February 23, 2018, 08:41:30 AM
If the salesman figures out the footage of your tubing and says you need a 4 hp motor,tell him you want a bigger one. Than when he says you won't need it,tell him you still want bigger, Than when he tries the same line,ask him who is paying for it and using each and every day when it's not a perfect day blowing sawdust. ;D  Yes,it MIGHT work for a while,but when things starts to get worn out,which they will,the more hp will not even notice it. Than when you want to do something diffeant in a year or two,that extra hp is there to be used for something you did not even think of when you first bought it.
By the time I'm talking to a salesman, I've already done my homework and I know what I want. I just want a price. I tried to buy a high wheeled push mower from a dolt salesman once who insisted I needed a self-propelled mower. Despite explaining that the little wheels would not work very well, self-propelled or not, he wouldn't price one for me. I'm still mowing my lawn with a 7' field mower.  ::)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Y'all have given me some good information I can use.
The sawdust under the mill and the crumbs from the debarker.....I don't worry about.
The leaf blower gets that job done.

I will only use my sawdust "extractor" will only be used at the end of the day.
I'll only be removing the sawdust that comes out the chute.
Mine won't run all day, I'll just vacuum up before I go home.

Now I'm just looking for at least a 5 hp motor. 

paul case

I have found with the sawdust blower/vacuum hooked to the mill that there is less dust in the air around the mill. I dont go much without it hooked up.

Good luck on your hunt. 

PC
pc

Thank You Sponsors!