iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price and Availability of white cedar logs for Shingles

Started by kgb12158, May 22, 2018, 03:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgb12158

I have a LT40 HG Woodmizer mill with a belt type shingle mill option.  I would like to make my own white ceder shingles.  
I'm in need of logs so 1 question is who has them and what will they cost per BF.  OK that's 2 questions.
I'm located on Rt20 west of Schenectady NY in Duansburgh.  I could pick up ~1500BF with my trailer.  
Does anyone have experience in cutting shingles this way?  Any idea about yield?
How long a shingle is practical with the resaw belt?
Too many question so little time.  
Thanks for any help you could offer.
I should say this is update NY
Kim Balfour Timber Framing since 1986, Woodmizer LT40 HG, and 52" Lane 00 circular Mill.
Only 23 months to full time timber framing

Upstatewoodchuc

Hey man, you're not far out from me, I'm near Greenville/westerlo area. I would try cooksburg lumber in Preston hollow, they run a pretty good sawmill there, not sure what current prices are but I believe you can buy log lengths from them, if not I know a tree service company or two in the area with decent stockpiles.
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

kgb12158

Any contact info?  I did find a few cedar logs out Madison NY area which I will pick up next week.  I know Cooksburg.  I bought some Hemlock a couple of months ago.  They were a little pricey but when you need the timber you need timbers.  I plan on trying some pine at first to see how the resaw works.  I will update the string as I go.

Thanks
Kim Balfour Timber Framing since 1986, Woodmizer LT40 HG, and 52" Lane 00 circular Mill.
Only 23 months to full time timber framing

Thank You Sponsors!