iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap implement/equipment paint?

Started by mike_belben, August 12, 2018, 03:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Looks great. What did you go with for paint?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Its tractor supply's "majic" brand cat yellow with hardener, came out same price as genuine cat with no hardener.  Also thinned it a bit with naptha to flow easier.  I gave a quick scuff and fluff with 100 grit then air and finally acetone wipe, then brushed or rolled it on.  Took 2 coats to block out the prior layer.  

Dried quick, like 2 hours.  Unfortunately every gnat in town flew into it before then
Praise The Lord

mills

Looks good. You just jacked the price up 25%.

tantoy

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

mike_belben

D21?  Does it have wet clutches or dry?  Inching valve?  Is there a hydraulic "clutch" pedal on far left?

While you have the idlers out, weld up any trough worn in the front of the track frame tubes where the idler guides run.  Enough slop in there and you can kinda half throw a track even with bottom all in pretty good shape, under some circumstances.
Praise The Lord

sandersen

That's gonna look fabulous!  Bringing the old iron back to life with fresh paint is always the most rewarding part of the restore.  I posted a trick for degreasing a while back that involves mineral spirits, a compressor and a HF blow gun that works really well and it's non toxic.  Cheap too. Not sure how to repost it, but it's in the system somewhere. (?) Great work though!    
"Make every step count."

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on August 15, 2018, 10:57:36 AM
D21?  Does it have wet clutches or dry?  Inching valve?  Is there a hydraulic "clutch" pedal on far left?

While you have the idlers out, weld up any trough worn in the front of the track frame tubes where the idler guides run.  Enough slop in there and you can kinda half throw a track even with bottom all in pretty good shape, under some circumstances.
Sounds like you guys need full floater rock guards that'll help with tossing tracks. The yellow sure looks like the old Dresser yellow ;)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandersen

"Make every step count."

mike_belben

Quote from: sandersen on August 15, 2018, 12:23:24 PM
That's gonna look fabulous!  Bringing the old iron back to life with fresh paint is always the most rewarding part of the restore.  
Thanks.  It came out pretty nice from 20 feet or so, but up close its still lipstick on a pig.  That said, i prefer my pig in lipstick.  

Skeans,  i dont really have any rocks to deal with here in clay country, but if im doing a real steep sidehill and need to turn on it, the high side track can slacken and start to climb off the idler.  My tracks are pretty snug, new rails, sprockets, good rollers etcbut theres a lot of wear in the idler guides, so thats all i can see to chalk it up to.  I am gonna weld them up later when i pull the blade to do the rod seals and rebush the main pivots.  

its only happened while cutting a bowl around big deep stumps.  Maybe just poor practice on my behalf.
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Full floater rock guards really don't do much for rocks but they will help keep the track from walking out on you at any point it's under the roller frames, now for the top you need bear claws they keep the top from walking off the idler which would help with the small idler support dresser used.

mike_belben

What do you mean by full floating?  Are they on springs or something?
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

It's just what they are called the rail can only float between the inner and outer rail vs being able to walk out when turning a must for any brush work. The bear claws go up top to keep the rail from walking off the idler.

JB Griffin

Mike, my late dad, a veteran tractor mechanic of 40+ year preferred oven cleaner to anything else for heavy duty degreasing except brake parts.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

mike_belben

The only other thing ive seen nastier than oven cleaner was in the marines, i ran a hazmat locker for a while and the paint hangar used an incredibly caustic paint stripper that im pretty sure would dissolve a body, and probably shouldnt be available to the public.  The guys that worked there always had blisters on their forearms from little splatters.

There was also an epic rust convertor i would kill for. 
Praise The Lord

tantoy

Quote from: mike_belben on August 15, 2018, 10:57:36 AM
D21?  Does it have wet clutches or dry?  Inching valve?  Is there a hydraulic "clutch" pedal on far left?

yeah d21, dry clutches, inching valve. I was welding up rails and idler guides in that picture!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

mike_belben

Nice! Im not certain if that has a hydraulic steer valve at the back like mine (those two shiny spools in center at back of machine)  ...if so..

If your steering pedals dont easily uncouple drive and then apply brakes with little pedal effort, get into the linkages.  Worn out pins, clevises and rollers on mine made it so the steering valve spools werent relieving the fluid pressure which clamps the drive plates. Sometimes yes and sometimes no depending on the slop stackup as parts rotated.. So id smash the pedal to steer and the brake would come on fully but the drive is still driving right thru the brake.  Engine should never load when you hit a steer pedal.  

The other major issue i had was a cooler return line leaking into the muddy pan, combined with too much slop in the "C" studs threaded into the fwd/rev/speed spools.. I had no reverse until both were fixed.  The cooler circuit is part of the reverse lubrication system and the control valve couldnt work right with the loss of pressure.  

But mine is a d31 so i dont know how much carries over.  I just know to stay ontop those worn down linkages now!
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

And on the subject of paint, too much hardner will make it flash and harden before the gloss can bubble to the surface.. And itll also lock up more brush strokes.  Makes a nice hard flat paint if thats what you want.  If you want the gloss, back off the hardner or switch to a slow evaporating thinner instead of a fast.  (Naptha vs xylene for example.) Time to flow out before hardening will make a shiny-er smoother surface finish. 
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

We have a Runnings nearby
200% better than TCS
Top guality tools
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Bruno of NH on August 16, 2018, 07:12:16 PM
200% better than TCS
Top guality tools
The closest one for me is 63 miles, I could do 80% of my shopping there. 🤣

Bruno of NH

Barge
They have lots of stuff.
I find most things are very high quality. 
Tools,tool boxes,sand paper,power tools,guns and hardware.
They have lots of sales.
I'm saying clear don't want to spend any money right now.
I'm busting up my own stuff bad the last to weeks. 
Stick through the lower panel on the tractor.
Bent the bucket moving big rocks.
Hit the tarp bracket loading firewood in the dump trailer.
I like my Mahindra 3540 Cab tractor but the buckets a joke.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tantoy

Quote from: mike_belben on August 16, 2018, 12:09:53 PM
Nice! Im not certain if that has a hydraulic steer valve at the back like mine (those two shiny spools in center at back of machine)  ...if so..

If your steering pedals dont easily uncouple drive and then apply brakes with little pedal effort, get into the linkages.  Worn out pins, clevises and rollers on mine made it so the steering valve spools werent relieving the fluid pressure which clamps the drive plates. Sometimes yes and sometimes no depending on the slop stackup as parts rotated.. So id smash the pedal to steer and the brake would come on fully but the drive is still driving right thru the brake.  Engine should never load when you hit a steer pedal.  

The other major issue i had was a cooler return line leaking into the muddy pan, combined with too much slop in the "C" studs threaded into the fwd/rev/speed spools.. I had no reverse until both were fixed.  The cooler circuit is part of the reverse lubrication system and the control valve couldnt work right with the loss of pressure.  

But mine is a d31 so i dont know how much carries over.  I just know to stay ontop those worn down linkages now!

Very similar to yours, mine has levers to disconnect clutches and apply brake.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Bruno of NH on August 16, 2018, 07:12:16 PM
200% better than TCS
Top guality tools
Bruno,
Which Running's are you close too?  I looked them up yesterday after you said there was one in NH and saw one in Claremont and one in Hinsdale.  Either way it's a bit under 2hrs for me, but then again place sounds like it would be worth the trip!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Bruno of NH

I go to the one in Claremont 
It's worth the trip

Stephen Alford

Been a hectic summer have not had much time for catching up with the forum. Sure is great to see you making such progress.  8) 8) 8)
logon

Thank You Sponsors!