iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yard shrubs

Started by Ken, August 19, 2018, 09:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

I've got a couple shrubs in my yard that have borne a lot of fruit this year.  Can't remember what either one are called though.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

curdog

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet
Not sure about the first one, but I think the second one is alternate leaf dogwood...

thecfarm

First one is choke cherry. Very very sour. Did I say sour?
Prunus virginiana
We just picked about 20 pounds for jam making.I use to have alot of choke chery bushes around every rock and along the road. Pulling them out with a chain and round up did them in. Than I met my wife and she makes jam out of them. So we have to go found some at other places. They seem to like stone walls the best.

curdog is right.
Cornus alternifolia
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ken

Exactly.  Thank you both.  There was a time when I could identify many shrubs and woodland plants but if you don't keep up with it is certainly easy to forget or is that an age issue :-\
Lots of toys for working in the bush

thecfarm

There is such a thing that is called books. ;D  ;)  
I have a good tree book,and bought a good shrub book last year. I am ready for old age now!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yes, the chokecherry and cranberry are turning already. Have seen some large alternate leaf dogwood here flower in the spring. The bushes get big.

Soon be making jelly, if so inclined. Hoping to have some Concorde grape from my old vines, but that depends on whether the fungus gets them first or even the chipmunks. Found a native wild grape in the back yard this summer, never seen them here away from the river before. Birds. ;D Might get a handful of black elder to mix with some raspberry for a vinegar drink (shrub).

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!