Previous topic - Next topic

DDW_OR

I have a 2008 Bobcat 331
Weight = 8,000
Hydraulic flow = 15.9 GPM
front lift = 1,000
side lift = 800
https://rtlequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Bobcat-331G-spec.pdf

looking for a log grapple with rotator that is made in USA.
so far i find Europe and Canada, and almost any place but USA.

will be moving logs up to 12 foot and RR ties up to 8 foot
the thumb will work the grapple and i will install a 3-way valve on the bucket cylinder to operate the rotator

I have the following attachments:
Turbo saw
Brushhound 30EX flail mower
Bobcat auger, may be able to use this for the rotator.
Update 8/2/2018: Bobcat stated that it cannot be used for lifting

"let the machines do the work"

Bruno of NH

The small rotators and grapples are used a lot in Europe and Canada .
That's why you find them made there. 
A FF sponsor Farms makes one
Get a hold of Pickens Equipment he will set you up
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

I have a grapple and rotator made in Canada and it's well made
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DDW_OR

yep i looked at the ones in Canada. they look well made.
and i looked at Farms, also well made.

i am hoping to find equal quality made in USA.
if i cannot find one then i will try Canada.

found one on Craigslist from a guy in Wisconsin

Skeans1

Most of our USA grapples are made here in the PNW which is a different style then you'd want, one they're heavy built, they won't close as tight as the European pulp grapples, and our aren't the parallel style of closing.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Skeans1 on July 24, 2018, 06:27:21 AM
Most of our USA grapples are made here in the PNW which is a different style then you'd want, one they're heavy built, they won't close as tight as the European pulp grapples, and our aren't the parallel style of closing.
that is what i thought.
that is what i found out when looking for a processor head for the Bobcat E80, finally got an Arbro 400 from Finland. will give the guy in Wisconsin a call

Cub

Valby is another option. Not sure where they are made or if they make them for your application. But they are good buckets. Lots of guys around here have them on the older small franklin and iron mule forwarders. 

DDW_OR

on Ebay Country/Region of Manufacture:
Farma = Estonia
VALBY = Finland
dymaxinc = way too heavy, smallest one weighs 750 lbs/340 kg

ICM  = Italy

Skeans1

Take a look at Craigslist down around Eugene there's a nice little 490 JD with grapples and a fabtek head for cheap.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Skeans1 on July 25, 2018, 07:00:39 PM
Take a look at Craigslist down around Eugene there's a nice little 490 JD with grapples and a fabtek head for cheap.
thank you for the info, but i do not need or want a skidder or that size excavator.
the grapple with rotator price range i have been looking at have been under $2,500

DDW_OR

called the guy in Wisconsin. all of the steel comes from USA, and is made in the USA
so got one on order and should be ready to ship in 2 weeks.

will use the Bobcat auger motor for the rotator. do not need to spin it 360 degrees, just 180
will use a couple Anchor Shackles to make the connection.

DDW_OR

update: canceled the Wisconsin order.
the post hole auger cannot be used for lifting logs.
this put the grapple + rotator out of my price range.

so still looking, will update when i find one.

barbender

I think your budget's a bit on the light side, aren't most rotators at least $1000 by themselves?
Too many irons in the fire

Skeans1

I want to say the last rotator we bought for the forwarder was around 2500.

DDW_OR

think thinning operation, not logging.
i am looking for rotators between 1 and 3 ton

Skeans1

I am thinking thinning, we thin from 19-35 year old timber some times older it sounds like you're thinking PCT. Curious are you going to have enough flow to run the head? What size mains are they requiring and the return? Is your thumb a foot treadle or is it on the joystick button?

DDW_OR

I have two bobcat excavators
E80 = now has an Arbro 400 stroke harvester head

the 331 = need rotator and grapple
https://grapplepros.com/products/farma-34-log-grapple

mike_belben

Material handlers have 360 rotators, sometimes with hydraulic ports for a cylinder.  Mine is a kinshofer that i bought from scrapyard i worked at.  Industrial surplus and truck wreckers are a good place to look.
Praise The Lord

barbender

I thought I saw around $1000 for a rotator in that size.

DDW_OR

the link i have in "reply #17" goes to a grapple + rotator + shipping for about $1,950

47sawdust

I have that same grapple and rotator.The build quality is excellent.I don't think you can beat the price.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

barbender

That looks like a nice unit, and that's a great price!👍

DDW_OR

The grapple should be here this week.
will use the adapter plate (A) from the Auger to attach the rotator and grapple 

maple flats

That link has me thinking. $1950 for 34" Grapple with rotator may be on my excavator some day. Great price and made in USA, free shipping too. My 4 ton mini will lift 2500# but only with the blade down in front and the load up close. As I reach out the lift goes down quickly, or more accurately the ability to hold the weight up without tipping the excavator. At about 3-3.5' out I can lift a 23" (At mid point) x 17' off the side of my mini but I need to have the blade facing the mill and down to lift a log that size out to set it on my log bunks  in on my Peterson, If not I would tip and damage to track on the near side. That is The most I can load on the mill using my bucket and thumb. As I showed (a picture) in the past, I have lifted a bigger one using a cross bar and 2 suspended tongs but I barely got than on the mill. That was hemlock if I recall. If I add the weight of a grapple and rotator I might need to lift a slightly lighter log too.
I'm starting to think.
Now back to the original thread.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!