iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic hydraulic master control diy?

Started by Satamax, May 01, 2018, 05:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hy everybody.

I'm wondering if an idea that i have could work.

I know gearmatic and Can car controls are hard to get. If i find one without the controls, could i make one with two hydraulic handbrakes? I think this could be donne, providing the displacement is enough.

Whatcha think?

Thanks.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

Whats the theory of operations on these things?  How do the controls actually work?  

Rock crawlers use independant hand operated master cylinders all the time.  Polyperformance sells them.  
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Hi Mike, pull the lever, and it pushes the master cylinder, pushing dot or hydraulic oil through the tubing, to the receiving cylinder.

Pretty much how the brakes and clutch work on a winch no? Ok, there's no "foolproof" action between brake, freespool, and engaged. But two handles down, freespool, one handle up engaged, the other handle up, brake, and two handles up, catastrophic failure! :D

By the way, the can car 20B i had found, the guy who bought it for 500€, put it back on leboncoin classifieds site for 3000€. I can't speak my mind here, but you can easily imagine the words coming to my mouth! 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

How much pressure is needed to apply the working parts in a winch?  So its not hydraulic open center flow then with internal pressure regulation?  Its the same fluid going from a master cylinder to a slave cylinder and back again?
Praise The Lord

Ed_K

I built a control of 2 line lock reservoirs and 2, 1/4" ball valves I made a couple levers to pressure up the line with the line locks then close the line with the ball valve to operate the clutch or brake. Was a little slow to work the pressure up but it worked till my machinist rebuilt all the working parts inside the master control.
Ed K

mike_belben

This should work if it doesnt require really high apply pressure.  You want a small bore if it does and a big bore if it doesnt.  Id build the handle to be telescopic and weld it up when i found the right leverage ratios then thread golf ball knobs ontop.  

If you use a 2 way cylinder you get the option of using either port.  The end without a rod shaft has more piston area and displaces more fluid than the other end, but requires more input effort.  If you flip it youll get less fluid but more pressure for the same arm effort.  The more fluid volume you need the longer you want the cylinder stroke.  Going bigger diameter will make you work harder.  Its why cars have really easy brake pedals vs trucks.  Small diameter master plunger.

You may want to set it up for foot operation if it needs 2000+ psi, just to have that force.  But keep in mind the air vent needs to be the highest point in the system.  You could mount it to the cab ceiling and connect with a -4 hydraulic hose if needed, just as long as its teed into that circuit
Praise The Lord

Satamax

thanks a lot guys for your replies. 

Mike, what you've drawn should work. But, my point was, the ease of building, with hydraulic handbrakes. If the volume displaced is good. Anybody knows what's the volume displaced by the gearmatic controls? 

mike_belben

If you have to, you can pull one apart and measure the piston diameter x stroke length to get an idea.
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Thanks a lot mike. 

Well, i don't need to for the moment.  But i hoped that someone did measure, so in case i get a can car or a gearmatic, i would have a plan set in my mind. And this could help some diy-ers! 

coxy

i seen on that was made out of 2 vw master cylinders with the handle in the middle like the factory gmatic  

Satamax

Thank You Sponsors!