iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something stupid

Started by thecfarm, November 25, 2017, 07:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

that sounds like a "close shave"!  the few times I've brushed it, it has always been might right thigh,,never bad, but like you said, too close for comfort.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

John Mc

thecfarm - I hope you did more than just "keep an eye on it". You should get it looked at by a medical professional. Chainsaw cuts are particularly nasty, not just from the mechanical damage they do, but also because there is a risk of infection and gangrene. Putting bar oil and other crud in a fresh cut is a recipe for problems.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Grizzly

I'm not against doctors (I see them regularly) but I've kept many a wound from infection using either iodine or rubbing alcohol. A good burn of that seems to keep infection out of the equation.

But cfarm better know when to head in or he'll be in trouble with a  pretty good sized group.  ;D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Hilltop366

Quote from: Ianab on November 28, 2017, 06:47:37 PM
So yeah if you aren't 100% sure of your footing, flick the brake on as you walk for sure.

It seems like I can trip over the flowers in the carpet, I use the brake often when walking with a running saw and also when setting a running saw down.

thecfarm

Well,I not out of the woods yet,Old Saying,but my dumb butted move looks mighty good. I have to show The Boss the dumb butted move every night.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Grizzly

:D :D  And I bet "The Boss" don't keep quiet either!!   :D :D

samandothers

I hear grits help with healing....or was it required food for those not using chaps!?!  ;D

Hilltop366

Quote from: samandothers on December 11, 2017, 10:08:05 AM
I hear grits help with healing  ;D

Just put one hand on the grits and the other on the part you want healed?

John Mc

Quote from: Hilltop366 on December 11, 2017, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: samandothers on December 11, 2017, 10:08:05 AM
I hear grits help with healing  ;D

Just put one hand on the grits and the other on the part you want healed?

Look at the grits, then throw them out and have some pancakes and Maple syrup instead - you'll feel much better.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Grizzly

Maybe it works like Buckleys cough syrup? Whenever I offer that as a remedy everyone feels much better! Even before they get any medicine!  :D

samandothers

I know how much thecfarm loves grits ... just assumed given the choice of wearing champs or eating grits might give him some additive incentive!  :D

Could be I was after the responses being given!  Or Bringing up dislike of grits for alternate purpose!?!  ???

thecfarm

Just about serve me right to have to eat grits as a punishment. But I all ready tried them things. No need to do something even stupider now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

I guess Im old enough to have used a saw for probably 35 to 40 years before the advent of the chain brake.
Nicked the top of my thigh a few times didnt even need a band aid and once in the kneecap 67 stitches while doing tsi work cutting 500 700 stems a day back in my 30's
Now i wear em cause I only get to come this way once and would like to be mostly intact when I meet the grim reaper.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

trapper

who makes them for real short people? 5'3"

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

John Mc

Quote from: trapper on December 11, 2017, 11:11:08 PM
who makes them for real short people? 5'3"

Labonville has some short ones. Their apron chaps are available in a 28" length. The full wrap chaps the shortest is 32".  Personally, I like wrap chaps better than apron style, but the apron is available in a shorter length.

I'm sure there are other manufacturers who make shorter chaps.

Remember, you don't fit chaps by inseam length. Instead, measure from the top of your belt to the top of your foot (where the bow would be tied on a pair of sneakers)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Grizzly on November 28, 2017, 04:38:36 PM
You mean just let your hand bump the brake on when not cutting and release it again when ready to cut? I use that method quite a bit. Very quick and easy and even stops the chain real quick. Just roll your wrist forward.
Yep called the "parking brake" :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

petefrom bearswamp

oops, my knee aint tht big should have read 6-7 stiches I cant remember which
This was on a saturdayi n 70 or 71
My doc met me at his office.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

trapper

thanks John for clearing that up for me
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Peter Drouin

Just saw this cFarm, Good your ok.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

Always wear PPE.  Things happen when you least expect it, get a bit tired, etc.  Couple years back I had laid down a pine and was going to drop the one about 5 ft away from it.  There was a 4" gum in the way so I quickly cut it and pushed it over with my hand, well that dislodged a dead branch from the not yet cut pine which caught me smack on the top of the head - widow maker.  That old, dead, dried up, branch was about 2" in diameter and maybe 10' long, but it collapsed the suspension of my hard had, split the hard hat in two, cut my head, and laid me out cold.  Took about 30 seconds for me to get my feet to work properly so I could stand up.  Ended up with a massive concussion that was a good month of vertigo before it cleared up. 

Never, never, ignore the PPE. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

deerslayer

I wear chaps. Wore forestry pants prior to that. Prior to that I got a bunch of stitches in my left thigh... Some people won't wear PPE. Some people won't wear seat belts in their vehicle. Whatever. Not wearing protective gear is a choice one can make but please don't think that because you've never cut yourself with a saw that you won't in the future because you're:
1. More skilled than average
2. More safety conscious than average
3. Luckier than average.
A person can go an entire lifetime and not cut themselves with a saw. It's not an inevitable event. However, statistically, it's a high risk and easily mitigated with $100 worth of safety clothing.
Some people don't wear a motorcycle helmet but if I wasn't wearing a helmet that night I hit a deer on my bike, I wouldn't be writing this post.

Get some chaps and wear them when you use a saw. It won't cost you your man card.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

thecfarm

Guess what one of my Christmas presents is??

Ayup chaps!!!!! Mine did have a couple nicks in them. If I would of had them on,there would of been another nick added to them.

samandothers

Quote from: thecfarm on December 25, 2017, 11:23:12 AM
Guess what one of my Christmas presents is??

Ayup chaps!!!!! Mine did have a couple nicks in them. If I would of had them on,there would of been another nick added to them.

thumbs-up

Woodcutter_Mo

Santa gave me a few dollars to go towards a new set of chaps. Now I just need to start shopping around.  ;D
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Woodcutter_Mo

Not exactly the ones I was wanting to get, but better than no chaps at all  ;)

-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Thank You Sponsors!