iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My bandsaw build. Redoing the lift and lower

Started by Kwill, February 27, 2018, 11:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

I got the engine and tires mounted back up. I put the blade on and ran it. It ran nice. I think I will get the tires balanced before running it. I have to get my log stops and dogs done then I will give it a trial run.

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Well couldn't wait to try it out so I went out and cut a fresh cedar and gave it a whirl. It worked out pretty good. At least I know now it will cut. Have to get my guards made and waiting on some other parts to show up. 
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Magicman

I don't blame you one bit.  Matter of fact.....Congratulations on "first sawdust".   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kwill

Quote from: Magicman on March 26, 2018, 09:33:17 PM
I don't blame you one bit.  Matter of fact.....Congratulations on "first sawdust".   8)
Thanks. I sure made a mess in the shop floor 8)
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Crusarius

Kwill

If it had not be raining it would have been tested outside. No biggee
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

After running the first cuts I noticed I got a couple set screws backing out. Gonna pick up some locktite in town and see if that helps.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

SawyerTed

Congrats!  Nothing like a little sawing to get the motivation up to finish it!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

starmac

Great to see you have got her going, now puleeeeze get some guards. I originally would walk by mine till I saw how violent a blade gets when it breaks, it would get wild real quick with no guards.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Banjo picker

Good job there Kwill.  Lookin goood. Ditto on the guards though.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Kwill

Yeah guards are in the works. I redone my log stops and got my other log dog finished up today. Waiting on a shipment from surplus center so I can get my centrifical clutch installed.  Also ordered some acme thread and nuts to possibly change my raise and lower. 
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

gww

Looks very nice.  Didn't take you long at all to get it done.
Cheers
gww

Kwill

It's like Christmas when parts show up.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Quote from: gww on March 28, 2018, 06:05:15 AM
Looks very nice.  Didn't take you long at all to get it done.
Cheers
gww
I've actually been working on it for awhile
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

tnpete

Quote from: Kwill on March 26, 2018, 09:38:05 PM

Thanks. I sure made a mess in the shop floor 8)
Shut your mouth. Sawdust in the floor is never a mess. That is Progress, and the start of something good. 
Or I tell my wife that every time she see's it in the floor.

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Ok I made a few changes and  decided to give it another test run.

Have to redo one of my t bolts  for my log stop as it's to long. Would like to add so springs some how to keep the stops from dropping when unscrewed. Need to figure out a measuring stick so I know what size of lumber I'm cutting. And of course guards. Get the raise lower motor installed and wired up. Mount the battery box. Figure out a way to put a throttle cable on it. The centrifical clutch worked out perfect.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kwill on March 28, 2018, 06:43:55 PMNeed to figure out a measuring stick so I know what size of lumber I'm cutting.
Used stamps to mark the numbers.  Probably should have used stamps to make the lines.  I used a razor knife and a straight edge to make them.  Label of each scale at the bottom.  Each mark is that measurement + 1/8" to cut oversize for kerf/shrinkage.  I have a second one that is 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 (I used a smaller font).  I have a lot of interesting sizes for my cabin...

Drilled four 1/4" holes each end and pressed in super magnets.  Still didn't keep it from moving, so added a clamp.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

gww

My measureing is a little simpler. A table saw, a scrap of wood and a welders clamp.

Cheers
gww

Kwill

Ijohnsaw id have to go to cal tech to figure out how to use that. I think a simple metal yard stick will do
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kwill on March 28, 2018, 08:02:07 PM
Ijohnsaw id have to go to cal tech to figure out how to use that. I think a simple metal yard stick will do
Actually, quite simple.  Do the opening cut.  Set the scale you want at the pointer (align).  Drop down to the next mark on that scale and cut.  If the next cut is the same scale, drop down.  If a different thickness, align a mark on that scale and then drop down again.  I used to count revolutions on my crank or physically mark the log and try to hit the mark.  This is much faster.  Right now I'm adding an electric motor to do the raise/drop.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kwill

Im guessing your 1 marks are 1 inch and 2 are 2 and so on?
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Ljohnsaw

The numbers across the bottom - yes. 1", 2" etc scale.  I numbered the marks going up (should have been going down...) so I know my next target.  If I open the log at 10 on the 2" scale, then my next cut will be at 9 (for 2x material).  What I need to add is a magnet painted red.  Then, I put that down below the next mark so I don't get confused between the different scales as I head to the mark.  Got to do all I can to make it idiot proof ;)
John Sawicky

gww

Kwill
The reason I use the scrap board on mine is cause a simple aluminum ruler is too hard to use due to the math involved.  I cut mine at about 1nd 1/8th and that gives me boards that are about a 1/16th under an inch.  If I were going to build stuff that needed boards cleaned up on both sides by a planer, I would want to cut my boards closer to 1/8th over an inch.  With just a ruler, you have to do the math to take the blade width out of the cut.  I bet Ljohn has that already figured in on his markings also.
Cheers
gww

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: gww on March 29, 2018, 03:16:15 PMI bet Ljohn has that already figured in on his markings also.

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 28, 2018, 07:03:15 PMEach mark is that measurement + 1/8" to cut oversize for kerf/shrinkage.
My kerf is just under 1/8" so my boards are at or slightly larger then full size.  I was thinking of doing 3/16" so I'd be closer to a full 1/8" over but I figure I'd mess that up on the layout - too many little lines to count on the ruler... ::)  I'm doing all rough cut lumber for my cabin and I drew everything to even inches so, hopefully, this will work out just right.  I did go for a bigger allowance on the larger sizes.  IIRC, I did 1/4" oversize for 7" and up.  When I cut a big beam, I'm only getting one out of a log and I like to cut 1/2" so I can come back and trim any twist out later.
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!