iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas tree stump removal

Started by ksimonson, December 18, 2001, 07:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksimonson

I raise choose and cut your own Christmas trees.  Does anyone have a suggestion of a HAND OPERATED tool (other than a shovel and ax) that can be used to remove stumps?

Tom

I am a bit of a loss as to something that has been built to do that job and is a hand tool.  The only thing that comes to mind that I would try is a Grubbing Hoe.  It has a blade long enough to reach deep, provide some prying fulcrom and is also heavy enough that it will cut through small tree trunks and taproots of 2 or three inches in diameter.  You have to keep them sharp though and keep a file handy while you work.

CHARLIE

Well, me being a self proclaimed thinker ??? and not a laborer...unless I get forced into it by my wife....I'd be looking for an "automated" way to remove stumps.....especially if there were a bunch of 'em.

Now....I'm thinking  ::), those stumps can't be very big. So, why not use a tractor with a bucket or a front end loader attached, attach a chain to the stump (wrap it or screw in an eyebolt) and then pull that sucker right out of the ground. :o

Now if you're bound and determined to work at it and do it by hand. How about driving two long steel pry bars under the stump. One on each side. then you grab a couple of beers, and give one to your buddy. Then when y'all are done with the beer, each grab a pry bar and pull down and hopefully pop that sucker outta the ground. Then head for the next stump and repeat. Remember though, only one beer per stump. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bibbyman

We never worried about the stumps.  Our family tradition was for me and two sons, Chris and Gabe to hunt for a tree on our farm.  When they found one to their liking,  I would get them back behind me, put in my ear plugs, pull out my Smith & Wesson Model 29 in .44 Magnum, and at a safe angle, I would separate the tree from the stump.  (Lots easier and safer than carrying a saw or ax.)  ::)

The lesson was, :P  we'll walk as far from the house as you like and you pick out the tree - but you have to drag it back.  Been more than once we had to abandon one tree in favor of a smaller choice.

Now I knowed this guy, Bullseye (look him up in "A Funny Story" thread),  that had an annoying rock in his front yard he kept hitting with his mower.  He used a .458 Winchester Magnum to blast it out.  

Now he was a nut! :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DanG

The best hand tool I know of for that, would be a mattock. You can HACK ;-) the feeder roots with one side, then HACK the tap root with the other.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I've been thinking on this awhile and have pictured all kinds of rig-a-marols in the shape of an "A" frame and a come-a-long or chain fall.  Actually I find myself stumped.

Frank_Pender

Short of spending a great deal of $'s for a new toy you might think on the  following:  Take the hook from a pevee and use it as a pattern, placing  it on a piece of 1/2"  or better yet 5/8 steel plate, cut two patters out,; make sure each pattern has a hole for a 3/4 in bolt to fit through at the opposite end from the point, also make sure that the 3/4 holes have plenty of of "meat" around them so as not to break.  Next; place a shackel between each of the cut-outs with the points facing each other.  Run a 1/2" chain through the shackel and to a lifting device ( tractor bucket) or a pulling device ( 4 wheel cycle etc.) .Place the hooks over the stump and pull.  Good luck! 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Jeff

My question is, if you are continuing to grow Christmas trees on site, why bother removing the stumps? Won't they rot and pretty much be gone by the time the next crop of trees are ready? Maybe even feeding the soil a little as they decay?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gordon

Ok I would cheat alittle bit and use the tractor.  ;D

But for hand work a couple of my favorites are the pulaski fire ax and a brush ax. A maddox also comes in handy at times. If I were to choose just one for the job you mention it would be the pulaski. I know you stated other than an ax but if you ever used one its quite handy for alot of operations in the woods. A cutter mattock is handy for the heavier stuff.

Here is a picture of a two pulaskis left middle and a cutter mattock on the right.

The pulaski was invented in the 1920's by taking a regular two bit ax and forging one bit sideways to help grub when fighting fires. It was invented by guess who a guy by the name of Pulaski, who was tired of carrying two different tools into the woods to fight fires.

There is your fire tidbit of info for the day. :)

One last thing, you could always just let them rot. ;D

Gordon

timberbeast

Depending on the soil condition,  a chain hoist on a tripod might pull them up,  if you could get the chain down under the main trunk.  Might need a tractor to move it from stump to stump,  though.   :)
Where the heck is my axe???

Kevin

Jeff

Don't mind the Canuck, he's enthralled with American technology  :D

Kevin,

Enthralled:

amused,beguiled,charmed,delighted,distracted,diverted,entertained,lightened,pleased,refreshed,relaxed,stimulated

Kevin

I couldn`t find a picture of a stump grinder so I posted a picture of a lower Michigan hovercraft.  :D

Main Entry: hov·er·craft
                   Pronunciation: -v&r-"kraft
                   Function: noun
                   Date: 1959
                   : a vehicle that is supported above the surface of land or water by a
                   cushion of air produced by downwardly directed fans

Jeff

Frank_Pender

Kevin, I would want one with a seat and it has to be self propelled with an umbrella attatchment to keep off the: sun, the rain, or the snow. :D :D :D  Better yet, one with an inclosed cab with cd music system and headphones.  Tree growers are just as entitled as the big time row -corppers.  We put a tree in their home, they put food on our tables. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Don P

Ever seen anyone pull a post over a tractor rim? Attach one end of a chain to the tractor over an old upright rim and down to the base of a post. Or in this case using the skidding tongs to grab the stump. As you pull away it turns the force into a lifting pull.
Our front yard is full of sprouts that resulted from leaving the stumps. Many multiple shoots, alot of weak and curved trunks. many good trees too, I guess they self pruned to a single stem. I've pulled some of those stumps with the truck, these trees are now about 12"dbh. Nothing like seeing the bumper in the rearview.
If you kill the stump, pines rot to the point you could kick it out in a couple of years. Most of the operations here just leave em. Our tree this year is a Fraser fir from the tree farm next door. If memory serves they are 12 years old.

Oh, I found Hack! It was in class notes relating to sizing a kiln. Basically its a pile of typical width for an operation, most efficient length for the pieces being produced, and an easily handled stickered height...1,000-2,500bf...or about a whack.

marc

This will depend one how lose your soil is but up here in Canada we can pull out rots like that with a truck

It would be best to use a Chevy, Ford just won't cut it. :D

Jeff

You guys got trucks? I thought only moose and ski doos

Tom

I had one of those once. Found On Road Dead

Took it home and fixed it up and drove it for years.  It changed hands a couple of times and is parked in a field behind Walmart now.  My boys keep track of it.  They say it still has my CB handle on the back window.

The last owner pulled his fishing boat with it till he died and the son is too embarrassed to drive it, so they parked it in the field.  I guess I should go buy it back but what would I do with a ragged out '74 custom 150? :-/

Kevin

Jeff,
That`s moose and ski doo TRACKS not trucks!
We have plenty of all three.

DanG

Hey kevin! You sure you didn't mean "ski tracks and moose doo?"  ;-)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

lylera

I do Christmas trees too, about 500 this year. I cut low as to not leave a stump, and butt the tree off if needed  The people who cut their own do have a tendency to leave a high stump, but I find it pretty easy to go down a row with a chainsaw, and whack the stump off that they left.

SwampDonkey

My cousin cuts and sells Christmas trees and they never remove stumps. The first trees are planted by machine on new land and the rest are hand planted. I do know another outfit that has hundreds of acres, they use some kind of mechanical rake behind a tractor to rip the stump up with the roots. It wouldn't be economical on small farms.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frank_Pender

Man alive, this thread is ancient.  I saw where I have been around here for at least 4 years. :-X
Frank Pender

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!