iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID with bark, Saginaw Valley area MI

Started by thechknhwk, November 19, 2013, 03:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

This tree came from the flood plain of a creek bottom in the Saginaw Valley region of Michigan, lower peninsula.  I initially thought it was white oak due to the wood coloration and the bark threw me off a bit, but after sawing it realized it was not.  It kinda smelled like cotton wood, but seems harder, and is very stringy when split.  Matter of fact this piece is pretty dry and only about ~2" thick and will not split with a hatchet.

Axe Handle Hound

I would say you have a piece of elm based on the photos and your description.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

How about a good, clear pic of a fresh, clean end cut (across the grain) by a sharp blade so we can see the wood structure much better.
thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPIKER

I dont think it is Hornbeam usually bark on those will have stringy bits hanging off.  Here is Ohio Hop Hornbeam taken at my place.   Usually understory trees BUT Will get bigger & makes pretty good firewood.   Cuts OK but do to limited size usually not used for a lot..   Some on my place are 14" BUT also mostly hollow.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WDH

Looks elmy to me, too.  Those light streaks that you can see in the cross section of the bark are characteristic of american elm.   It is called the rhytidome. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!