iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jobber j200

Started by JesseA, March 10, 2019, 09:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesseA

Dad and I went halfsies on a j200 some time ago after doing lots of inefficient milling with an Alaskan. 
And it's been a bunch of trouble. Mostly related to breaking blades.  Anyone have one of these to suggest pointers?

hamish

How or at what point are your bands breaking (ie comming off the bandwheels? in the cut? out of the cut?).
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

JesseA

It's been a while since I used it but it seems like they break in the cut at random and are not being thrown off.  I wonder if what's happening is we're compensating for not great alignment with too much blade tension. 

Southside

How dull are your bands when they break? Running high tension, no lube, and dull bands will cause a lot of heat and stress cracks in the band, which will result in breaking. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

We need way more specific info to help you diagnose this problem. There's lots of things that can break blades, from running them dull to a bad band wheel bearing and everything in between.
Too many irons in the fire

hamish

Quote from: JesseA on March 10, 2019, 04:49:41 PM
It's been a while since I used it but it seems like they break in the cut at random and are not being thrown off.  I wonder if what's happening is we're compensating for not great alignment with too much blade tension.
Get your alignment in order and adjust your tension accordingly. I have seen J200's produce alot of bf of lumber so the lack of band lubrication on the mill is a non issue.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Thank You Sponsors!