iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Axemen series sundays 10PM?

Started by logger444, April 08, 2009, 11:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain_crunch

T-J
Agreed on Melvin and his yelling. The good old loggers did not sit and yell but more like dared you to keep up with them by doing. As in the steam that blew the whistle never turned a wheel. What I can't under stand was that stump that they kept hanging up on was NOT cut off at a slope at ground level in first place or leave a shear log there to shear turn over. Also if I owned that Old West Coast yarder he would not run it that wild over once. They are old to begin with and were never known for being real tough machines. Skagit, Washington,Madill and Thunderbird were much better designed and better built. Like I said before unless something goes South My money is on Brownning. In fact he wrote quite an article last year in Loggers World mag. about them cutting scenes showing replanting units and was ticked off about  The GREEN GOLD B_S. All the money numbers are what logs are worth NOT what Logger makes. But far as I am concerned the phoneyest part is the Trucks and all the horn blowing >:( >:( >:( Don't happen in real world
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Jeremy_M

Any questions on the episodes going on this season?  My daughter is loving the Pihl shirt I won her last season  ;D

timberjack240

how bout it   " pullin thousands of dollars in wood " yea thats why the loggers are drvin 93  f 150s like mine. those fancy trucks are the company trucks. that sounds all high and mighty . what ppl dont realize is all that money looks good but the idiots on tv do tell you all the fuel to get your guys there and to get the wood to the yard and the gas to cut it ddown and the wages and ins and breakdowns and eq cost. w the truckin liscense ins tires breakdowns all the maintance on every thing. those guys w the helicopter im sure have more expense than anyhting. they spit out these figures make us look liek we should be rich but they dont associate all the cost invovled to
capt crucnch .. i bet melvin will get out and go cut that off till next week  ;D
as far as browning i will say hes not my fav by any means but he has the rite to be a lil cocky. hes the owner of a big company that can produce and the kno it . myself im not the type to say yup were the best and produce the most.. i go w the approach of eehh were not to bad i gess and we get a couple loads out from time to time.. rele makes ppls mouth drop when they come around that way  ;D

ford62783

i agree 240 no one ever remembers that u burn almot a 150 a week in my 240 plus 10 gallons of saw gas plus gas for my truck then breakdown and finally trucking u may bring home a 1000 dollars a week but it all goes back ooner or later

timberjack 240e

timberjack240

we dont pay our truckin its supplied to us . one job we did i was burnin 30 gal a day thru our 240E takes a lota hard skiddin to put 30 gal thru a 453 detroit puls the 225 and the slasher we would empty the 50 gal tank every day into my skidder and put a lil bit into the 225 . we leave w them full and when the laoder needed we d fuel it in the morni. that was when fuel was 2 bucks a gal and we thot that was outta this world high ..  :D

twobears

i guess i have to wait until sunday to see if melvin made it...i wonder if he learned anything..lol
in real life i hope those guys don,t really act that way.one thing i wonder about is this..if things are so bad in logging why would crews like that be hiring guys right off the street?? around here the big time loggers never hired greenhorns unless it was as a favor for somebody and i only saw that happen twice over many years.

delbert

Magicman

We just call it:  Cussin' and Draggin'
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

captain_crunch

Guys you got to understand liveing out here on the LEFT Coast NOBODY thinks they need to work. So good help has all grown old and next generation only understands vidio games. This makes anybody who says they want to work worth trying out or learn Spanish. Half the crews come from South of the border anymore. This is a sorry subject when you consider what loggers of past endured and next couple generations are too LAZY to continue. But characters like this make me proud

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

captain_crunch

Finally This is My 15 year old Cutter 8)

Shorty who is the Sthill hold out of bunch His Bg Brother and I run huskys. After watching AxMen we Named Shorty Minni AX

shinnlinger

I lived in Eugene, Oregon for 10 years, and the Captain is right, it is hard to find youngin's that want to work, UNLESS you hire from 'South of the border"  People complain about Mexican this and Mexican that, but they are the ones doing all the work.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Magicman

Hey,  Captain and shinnlinger.  Don't think that this is a West Coast thing.  Lazy started in the South.......I'll be nice.... :)

My remark about cussin' n draggin' should have been followed by smilies, because I was smiling.  I even watch the re-runs.  I have full respect for those guys, and I hope that they are also getting paid extra for the cameras.... :)

Yes, the only dependable workers that are available are from South of the border.  Tree planting contractors are suffering for workers, because of the now imposed border restrictions.  The guy that is to plant my 1k Oak seedlings is already running behind and it's only 2 weeks into the planting season.  He hasn't been able to get a full crew of workers.  I talked with him Thursday night, and he is sweating bullets.  He has no "back up plan".

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

timberfaller390

I disagree about the "only reliable workers are from south of the border". Alot of american's have become lazy but the vast majority are still willing to work if the work is there. Around here all the south of the border guys have accomplished is taking jobs away from us. Not because they do it better but because they do it cheaper. We have not had a problem with them getting on logging crews here but most other jobs like farm hand or masons are now taken by them. And as far as the next generation being lazy well there are alot of young guys (I can name about 6 off the top of my head) that are on this forum, are under30 and are anything but lazy
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Magicman

You are right....I mis-spoke and apologize.

My thoughts were only concerning the "hand" tree planting jobs.  The "South of the border" folks are really the only laborers that are willing to do that work.  Maybe it is because they are generally shorter. 

I too know many young reliable workers and businessmen.  To them I give my praise and our future.

timberjack240

id agree wth that. im the youngest around here there arent manythat want to cut trees anymore. im def the youngest production cuttter around here. the next oldest runs skidder. he can cut not real fast but prefers runnin skidders my brother helps when hes not in school  but he dont cut trees either. out of my whole graduating class im the only logger everybody else went to school .. or got a normal job  :D  . before my birthday im 21 now. .. i was told anybody who is 20 years old and can cut trees like i can and understand whats goin on atthe stump has a rare skill . i said. yea .. well im jsut havin fun and tryin to make some money in the process  ;D i thought about it tho and he was rite. i go to sfi meetings and all the guys are 30 + . nobody wants to hang on a chainsaw when its 100+ degrees or sit in a skidder when its 0 outside and freeze to death. guys around here start you out in the skidder or in the yard. most young guys get a cppl muddy logs dull there saw and cant handle it and quit or cant handle runnin the skidder and find somehting else .. liek the song says "last of a dyin breed" 

stumphugger

Nonsense!   It isn't that there aren't hard working young people.  It is a combination of things.  Around here, logging, tree planting, thinning, etc. are seasonal.  There isn't steady work.  You work from job to job and right now there isn't much of anything going on.  Pay is stagnated.  The wages for loggers have not changed much since the 1980s.  The pay was good back then.  I live in a former logging community.  Parents are discouraging their kids from working in the woods because it isn't steady work.  Machines are replacing people on the flatter pieces of ground.  Machines are replacing people in the mills too. 

Tree planting used to be done by hippies.  Then the bidding for the units got pretty cut throat.  Competition.  When bids are low, wages are lower.  That's one reason our neighbors from the south took over that line of work along with the plantation thinning.

The same is happening to logging jobs.  Right now there are more loggers than jobs so bids must be low to get the jobs. 

It has nothing to do with a work ethic.  Nada. 

nas

I have also found that the people who complain the most about not being able to find good employees are the hardest to work for.  They also often don't want to pay very well either. ???

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

ely

i was over at my folks house this saturday and seen the advert. for the axmens new season. i rarely get to watch  much of that sort of stuff but i do like to watch it. i said something to my mom about it, and she said " i do hope they dont have that foul mouthed logger on there again this season." " the way he talks to his kid is shameful" "if he spoke to me like that just once i would whip him 2 times"..... her words not mine. ;D

so idid not make it over to watch any yet. she gets a little peeved at that sort of stuff.

Rocky_Ranger

I caught the two episodes last night, I guess one was the repeat from last week...  Why did Melvin go to work for Pihl?  Also, I missed the part where Melvin was bumped from the yarder, why did that happen?  Holy crapola, that is a big tower on that Browning site he's moving in, 110'..............can't wait.  The swamp logging is interesting too, just a lot of hot air to contend with.  Are the heli-loggers coming back?
RETIRED!

wi woodcutter

Quote from: stumphugger on January 18, 2010, 10:26:56 AM
The same is happening to logging jobs.  Right now there are more loggers than jobs so bids must be low to get the jobs. 

It has nothing to do with a work ethic.  Nada. 

That is what I was wondering about this Axmen show. They have all of these "greenhorns" on the show. With the down turn in logging I would think that there would be a lot of out of work experienced loggers looking for work. If I owned a logging company (or any company really) I would want the most experienced people I could get. Maybe it's just me.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

stumphugger

Quote from: wi woodcutter on January 18, 2010, 08:53:34 PM
That is what I was wondering about this Axmen show. They have all of these "greenhorns" on the show. With the down turn in logging I would think that there would be a lot of out of work experienced loggers looking for work. If I owned a logging company (or any company really) I would want the most experienced people I could get. Maybe it's just me.

Yes, think about it.  What do most "reality" shows have?  Competition.  Competition to see who gets to stay on the island.  Now, if they really were to hire somebody who was experienced, there would be no competition and no "who will get the job" suspense.  Frankly, they've got to be faking some of the mishaps.  Or else the safety people ought to be issuing some major fines.  No experienced hooktender would let a guy go yank on a taut line.  He'd blow for the line to be slacked, then they'd go see about getting it off the stump in the swamp. 

Joe Lallande

How many times can you watch people pull logs up a hill?  This past Sunday had a swamp logger that looked interresting? Why not show the complete travel of the logs to the mill and that whole process?

wi woodcutter

Quote from: stumphugger on January 18, 2010, 09:57:57 PM
Yes, think about it.  What do most "reality" shows have?  Competition.  Competition to see who gets to stay on the island.  Now, if they really were to hire somebody who was experienced, there would be no competition and no "who will get the job" suspense.  Frankly, they've got to be faking some of the mishaps.  Or else the safety people ought to be issuing some major fines.  No experienced hooktender would let a guy go yank on a taut line.  He'd blow for the line to be slacked, then they'd go see about getting it off the stump in the swamp. 

I agree stumphugger I really don't like the "load count". How can you compare thinning jobs to clear cut jobs. Even the equipment J. browning is running a 100' tower and Rygaard is running a old west coaster with a 50' tower kind like comparing apple to oranges. I wish they would drop the drama and just show some real logging.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

captain_crunch

Guys
From talking to Mr Browning (he lives about 40 miles notrh of me) They only show what producers want shown so not his fault. They want DRAMA not the real thing on show. So it is not the true story. 20 years back when I was in the industry 110 ft tower was the standard around here running 1 3/8" sky line and 7/8"X40' chokers. And these critters were also fast with line speeds of 90mph in hi gear and if you did not produce 20 loads per day it was time for NEW crew. Not uncommon for one of these monsters to pull 3/4 of a load per turn so the Dog Hair they are yarding is a walk in park as far as loads. But the swamp logger is a interesting character and interesting to watch along with his cousin  nephew brother in law buddy :D :D
Have any of you watched the Swamp logger with the skidders in swamp sometimes they are more realistic

timberfaller390

Yes I agree that discovery channel's "swamp loggers" is more realistic. That show still has drama but it is real. Stuff like equipment breaking and mill closures and log prices. Bobby Goodson saying he needs to get 15-20 loads out that day is what he needs to make his company work, not the load count he puts up against his compition's. He also is a man that seams to have alot of integrity. Did anyone notice that he went to his truck to come un-corked on the guy that didn't fix his trailer tire right? He didn't yell and scream and cuss in front of the camera.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

shinnlinger

It would be nice if the worked overhead into the game a bit.  Yeah Browning hauls more, but he uses helicopters and top of the line stuff, vs all the other guys who have cobbled up stuff and smaller crews.

Did Pihl's West coast Yarder originally come on a sherman tank, or did someone put the yarder on the tank chassis?

Ryguard is competitive with BRowning but I bet their 40 year old yarder and small crew mean more profit.

Did Melvin do the right thing by getting out of the Yarder when the hand spike broke even though he could have used the foot brake?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!