iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First slabbing project

Started by Longshot1911, February 15, 2016, 07:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshot1911

Let me start by saying that thank you to all of the FF members who have taken the time to offer advice and resources to help me realize my sawmill dreams and ambitions. This is truly a community of great people!

About two years ago, after much searching, test driving, and soul searching, I purchased a used Peterson 10" WPF. Something about the swing blade concept really appealed to me. To this day, I have no regrets about the decison.  My personal life has keep metro busy for a full time milling occupation, and the inch market of sawing oversized logs has provided pleanty of side work when I want it.  On aspect of the Peterson that I have wanted to expand into is slabbing.  The issue with this market is the necessity of support equipment on site to move the slabs.  Most of the big trees I mill are cut where they fell, making the mill portability a huge plus, but the opportunity to bring my own support equipment difficult.  To this end, a clip on slabbing attachment has been reserved as a "someday" dream... Until now.

Recently, I recieved a message from another forum member who showed me a great kindness in the past.  He had a large whack of logs, many too large for his bandsaw mill. He knew I had a Peterson, but did not know if I was set up to slab.  He sent some pictures, and I had to admit, it was a significant job.  Knowing that he had on site support equipment, I agreed to purchase the slabbing attachment for the job.

After some back and forth with the folks at Peterson, And sourcing the bar locally to save on shipping, I was in business.  Sat morning, the wife and I, aided by a couple of buddies, set out to get things started. Below are the results.
10" Petrson WPF, clip on slabber, planer blade inbound!

drobertson

Looking really good!  Makes me want one, fact is I have for some time, happy for ya!  oh, yea, your pics did not show up,,, I looked into your gallery,, might fix that for other folks,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Longshot1911

Longshot1911

Yup.  Working from an iPad.  Just takes a bit longer to get everything moved around and posted!

Longshot1911

Longshot1911

34-ish" red oak.  Took several hours to mill 8 slabs, but there was quite a bit of time spent tuning and tweeking the bar.  The first two cuts dove about 1/2" over the 12' length.  A slight upward rotation of the bar end fixed that problem. Finish was consistent throughout, though effort increased at the end as the chain dulled.  I would estimate one sharp chain per log to prevent excessive bar wear. Knots had little effect on milling (finish or effort).  As the temps have been below freezing for the last week, the log may have been partially frozen.  Once things warm up, I will report back if there is a noticible difference.  As for the cadence for wedge use, this became one of the most important things to watch.  Keep an eye on the back side of the bar,looking for the chain to pull away.  If this happens, either add more wedges, or tap in your last set.  I pulled the chain off one time initially,and had no further problems once I observed this area.

One of the best tips from the forum was aligning the center crack horizontally.  Next time,I will use a high lift jack to lift and shim the low end, ensuring the crack is parallel to the track.  As it was, I was able to capture most of the crack in a single 1" slab that included the pith.  I now appreciate how failing to align the crack would have resulted in 4 or more slabs with a major flaw down the center.

Overall, this was a great experience!  One log down, 20-ish more to go!

landscraper

Hi Longshot - I'm down here near Barboursville/Orange - not too far from you, maybe an hour.  We go through Fredericksburg on the way to La Plata a few times a year.  Slabber looks like it is working great for you.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Longshot1911

So far, so good!

I grew up in Waldorf,so I know LaPlata well!

Let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Matt

Magicman

Thank you for sharing your first slabbin'.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodyone.john

Hi Longshot,I wont be offended if you tell me to butt out, but if you raise the start end of the track a foot above level you will find that you dont need near the same effort to get through each cut.Also if you set both tracks on the ground [if your mill has that option] then you can measure up from a straight edge to locate the center of the log easier than having to run the head up and over the log a couple of times to centre the pith.This approach is good for slabbing, but not for sawing.IMHO of course.
cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Longshot1911

John,

I always appreciate tips and comments, so please don't hesitate.  As for my choice of setup, the WPF can be set up low/low or high/low.  I chose the latter, as my log bunks extend beyond the track as a log deck.  This allows me to remove the center support and roll logs under the rail to be cut.  I find this to beau have less nerve wracking than lifting a big log over the rail, hoping nothing slips.  As for the angle, you are correct that a downward angle would make the cut easier, however, with true level, it is much simpler to true the tracks front to back.  Also, some of the logs I will be cutting have hollow centers.  With level track, I can easily pull off the slabber and throw the circular blade back on to recover what lumber is available.  I think my solution for centering the pith will involve a saddle that fits over the low track with an vertical upright, and a pivoting horizontal with a level attached. This should allow me to take a reference measurement on one side and duplicate it on the other.

Thanks again,

Matt

woodyone.john

Sighting down the blade or back to the blade works when in swing saw mode.An inch and a half or so packer on the low side of your level will even up both sides.I do understand the preciousness of the tracks though.
cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

kensfarm

Quote from: Longshot1911 on February 15, 2016, 07:45:34 PM
So far, so good!

I grew up in Waldorf,so I know LaPlata well!

Let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Matt

Ever get cheesesteaks in Accokeek, MD?  We worked a farm just a couple miles down the road.   

Longshot1911

I can't say that I have.  When I left, Wigwam bakery was still open....

James MacDonald

Talked to Matt, AKA long shot1911 and he and wife will be in Nanjemoy Md at Knot Farm, my hobby, retirement dream mill operation this Saturday.

I run a TK 2000 and have been milling logs under 30" while he takes care of our larger hardwoods. If anyone in the Southern Maryland area would like to see either or both mills running, this Saturday we will be working on our logs.

Matt and I would be happy to have an audience.  With a PM to either of us we will send you the address to our locale.  Please be advised all toilet facilities are open air and the nearest store, gas, or food is 10 miles away.
Jim
You should see what I Saw

Timberking 2000, 1964 Hyster FL, Kabota 43DT w/grapple, Case 580C hoe and never enough Tools

drobertson

Looks like a good whack!  I understand the open air concept :D slab stacks makes for great privacy when needed in an emergency :D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

That is a nice log whack.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raym

Quote from: James MacDonald on March 02, 2016, 08:32:30 PM

Talked to Matt, AKA long shot1911 and he and wife will be in Nanjemoy Md at Knot Farm, my hobby, retirement dream mill operation this Saturday.

I run a TK 2000 and have been milling logs under 30" while he takes care of our larger hardwoods. If anyone in the Southern Maryland area would like to see either or both mills running, this Saturday we will be working on our logs.

Matt and I would be happy to have an audience.  With a PM to either of us we will send you the address to our locale.  Please be advised all toilet facilities are open air and the nearest store, gas, or food is 10 miles away.
Jim

I would love to visit but way too much to do....besides as soon as Matt finishes at your place, I have logs waiting for him here. It looks like he will be very successful serving a niche in the lower midatlantic.
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Thank You Sponsors!