iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A swampdonkey discovery

Started by Jeff, August 05, 2014, 07:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

It's been decided that we can't let this information out.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jeff on September 10, 2014, 12:42:16 AM

Well, thanks for being so noncommittal!  :D Or maybe I should say secretive.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Mooseherder

I put these in my pocket while driving by on the lawnmower.
Had I waited for another pass by they probably would have disappeared from sight.

Jeff

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 11, 2014, 12:27:21 AM

Well, thanks for being so noncommittal!  :D Or maybe I should say secretive.  ;D

Or, it could be, be it ever so unlikely, that I just don't know.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jeff on September 11, 2014, 09:23:00 AM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 11, 2014, 12:27:21 AM

Or, it could be, be it ever so unlikely, that I just don't know.  ;)

Whoa.  :o  Astounding!

Erm, well, maybe the Swampster knows something about it?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

I think they taste better than filberts. But one is just a shrub that grows in a clump and the other is more tree like. I can tell ya those beaked hazel whips are hard fibre, need a sharp saw blade. I'm surprised no one has cultivated them in rows like raspberries by now. Mow between the rows. Now that I have a tractor and a bush hog on the list next year.................hmmmm. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Clark

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 10, 2014, 12:28:06 AM
Still nobody said whether these hazlenuts are related to the commercially grown ones. Or I missed it.

That's a good question and I had to do some digging to get to the bottom of it.

From what I've found, commercial hazelnuts are grown on cultivars of Corylus avellana. It's a variety native to Europe and Asia. The two vareties in N. America, C. cornuta and C. americana are not currently used for commercial production but there is research going into crosses between either of those and the European variety.

From what I saw of pictures online, it is pretty obvious why the European variety is used commercially. The husk looks to be much more delicate then either N. American variety.

I doubt that anyone has found a C. cornuta or C. americana that is of small tree size or form. That's not the nature of the plant. Now, witch-hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) is very similar but blooms in the fall and can reach 3-4" dbh, taking on "small tree" form.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

CJennings

C. americana can form a tiny tree about 12 feet tall or so (I guess some might still call that a shrub however). I've seen this form of it. But beaked hazel is much more common where I'm from (Vermont). I think the nuts of both are better than the commercial variety. There were almost none this year in my usual spots.

Thank You Sponsors!