iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thank you

Started by fuzzybear, February 08, 2011, 12:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybear

On October 5, 2010 I died.  I had a massive heart attack and died for about 2 min.  The next day I was put on a plane and sent to Victoria to have 12 stents placed in my heart. Because I live a "reclusive" life style I was treated differently in the hospital than others.
   When I was released the day of the procedure, the real fight for my life began. The government wouldn't make arangements for me to get the 2000km back home.  So I spent 3 days on a grey dog. when I got back home I was in bad shape.
   Over the next few days I got some strength back and was able to sit at the computer. So I first headed to my favorite web site,  The forestry forum. 
   I was very depressed for a while,  the meds they gave me were making me sicker than before my heart attack.  Then I read a thread by Jim King. I read every day hopeing and praying for his wife.  I read every day how much this family of complete strangers came to their aid. It gave me hope.
   About a month and a half ago I was in the worst shape of my life.  Now I'm only 57, and I was like a 90 yo man.  I had so many side effects from the drugs that I wanted to end my life.  So I did the next best thing. I quit taking the drugs and changed my life style.
   Before the heart attack I was in the best shape of my adult life. But the truth is, no matter how good a shape your in, if you smoke tobacco for 40 years it will kill your heart.  I started eating better,  I worked out as best a bushman can, I started cutting wood again.
   Now I havn't fully recovered but I am on a good path to full recovery.  I listen to my heart more, it tells me when I've had enough, and I respect that.
   I do not know what the future holds for me, but I live each day as it comes.
   I want to say with a heart filled with respect....Thank you.

Thank You Jeff for this forum, It saved my life
   Thank you Jim King for being who you are.
   Thank you Mrs. King.  your strength is inspirational
   Thank you Doctorb for giving me hope with doctors again.
   Thank you FF members  you are the best group of men and woman I have ever had the honor of associating with.
Donovan McGlaughlin  (FB)

I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Buck

Fuzzybear, I havent been there but my father has three times. What you have described is exactly what dad went through. Hang in there man, there is good life after heart attack. My father is living proof. Try eating dessert first sometime and enjoy life.  Buck
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Warbird

And thank you, Donovan, for sharing.  Glad you are back home and on a path to health.  The FF sure is a special place.

AvT

wow 12 stents?... thats a lot of hardware.  I had one put in on october 15th so I must have had my attack about the same time you did.  I didn't die but my doctors were telling me I will if I don't get the work done,, and soon.  So after a week or so I gave in. I hope your recovery continues.  I'm a little worried about you not taking the meds.  I'm pretty sure the antiplatelet one is pretty important for the first year to prevent restinosis (fancy word for plugging off again).  I neighbor had to go back after a short time because he wasn't taking it.  Anyway,, good luck.  12 stents... amazing
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

jim king

fuzzybear:

Many of the very things you said are what kept me sane and going during the problem with my wife.  I had no idea I was being of help to someone but it is nice to hear that was the case.

I appreciate very much your thought fullness and saying what you have said.  Our ordeal is not over yet either but little by little it is getting better.

You best start picking on smaller trees.

Jim and Pat King

Jeff

Just one post like this makes all the effort put into the Forestry Forum over the last decade worthwhile.  So no, I thank you fuzzybear.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Fuzzybear, Your story is an inspiration and more importantly, maybe a motivation for other members and guest reading it to make a lifestyle change.  It's so easy to take another bite, not take that walk, one more sip or puff.  I'm sure that your story will help someone today.  I want to add my thanks and admiration to you also.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

Donovan, little in life is better than being appreciated.  I agree with Jeff.  The thanks go to you.

I don't know why Jim decided to "bare all" during his wife's epic battle this fall, but I am glad he did.  I am not sure that I would have had the guts to do that, living with the hour to hour ups and downs of a tragic accident.  I even questioned Jeff about whether he thought it was OK for the FF.  But Jim said in his post at the time that he hoped others would learn and be helped by it, and he sure was right. 

It's so funny, so right when seemingly disconnected puzzle parts fit together so well.  Welcome back to the puzzle, fuzzybear.  Your story and your tribute made more than my day.  Thanks,  Doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Thanks for coming back for a second chance fuzzybear.  ;) :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandhills

Thank you for posting that.  That was a very sincere statement and it's folks like you that are the reason I come to this forum when I get on the computer.  I hope your road to recovery is a fast one and you get to feeling a little better everyday.  I'm also right with you on the rest of the gang here, Jeff, Jim and his wife, Doctorb, etc. etc.  I don't think they know just how many lives they touch through all of this, special people doing special things without even trying, it goes beyond just the "members".  Get well soon, and thanks again for the post.

DanG

I too want to thank you for sharing your wonderful story, and congratulate you for telling it so well.  I feel like a piker with only one li'l ol' stent! :D :D  I do want to encourage you to explore alternatives to the meds that you were having reactions to.  I've had two bad reactions to meds in the recent past, and both were readily identified and replaced with other drugs.  Don't try to go it alone!  Get to a good Cardiologist and seek out a suitable medication regimen.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

doctorb

WOW!  Stent envy! :D :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Texas Ranger

Doc, only on the FF. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ely

glad you are here too FB, hang in there.

that just goes to show that how you act and what you say on the WWW, may have very different meanings to different folks depending on what they are dealing with in life.

this thread makes me feel very good about my family here.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Donovan,

I didn't have to go to death's doorway but it seemed awful close to that when I woke from my colon cancer surgery in Sep of 2007 and found that breathing was a lot harder than it should have been and that the 3 - 4 packs per day of Viceroys were probably to blame. I put them down and never went back. It wasn't easy but most days gradually got better. Now, after more than three years, I still occassionaly miss them but I feel a whole lot better.

I will remember you in my prayers and believe the Lord will bless you and give you the strength and wisdom to do the right things needed to make the rest of your life better (and longer)...

In the meantime, remember...

Be Careful!

Herb

Raider Bill

I'm glad you have pulled through too!  I've got you on my list of stops when I bike it to the Arctic Circle and would hate to get there to find nobody home. :D :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

pasbuild

Its been a few months since my heart attack (Three stents) I didn't see a doctor until I couldn't walk down to the end of the drive without having to rest so I was in the worst shape of my life ::)  however I now go to the gym every day, I eat healthy, I quite smoking and I'm losing the extra weight that I put on when I quite smoking.  The damage is done so you have to work on making what is left the best it can be, I'm sure that when you get over the hump and you can see and feel how much better your life is living a HEALTHY life style you will embrace it.
As avt said its very important that you take the proper meds, work with your doctor to get that  straightened out.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

fuzzybear

Thank you everyone.  
 It has been a hard few months but I am 1000% better than I was 2 months ago.
I did a lot of research on alternatives to the drugs I was taking before I stopped.  What really helped me in my decision was talking to an 88yo man who was given the same drugs and decided quality of life was better than length. He had his heart attack at 80 and is still out running around.
  I have always been a bushman and took pretty good care of myself except for a very bad smoking habit. For almost all of my life I smoked hand rolled tobacco. My poison was to the point of 3-4 packs a day. The funny thing is I had actually quit smoking the day before the heart attack.
  I was very fortunate on my trip home from the hospital. I had encountered a lot of Angels on that trip. These were ordinary people who saw I was in trouble and helped me. They will always be in my mind and prayers.
  Like I said earlier, I was to the point of putting the barrel in my mouth and pulling the trigger. My wife and children were watching me suffer and I couldn't take it any more. I decided if relief didn't come I would make it.
  With this wonderful tool we have, the internet, I was able to find the answers I needed after LONG hours reading everything I could on the subject.  I was able to find my path and what worked for me.  
  2 months ago I couldn't play with my children, and it hurt us all. Today by grace, I play with my children. I had no future, now I look forward to the future.
 What I hope out of all this is that people understand, if it happens to you it's not the end. Don't give up, there is always an alternative.  I'm living proof that it can happen.
FB

pasbuild

The one time in my life that I typed to fast :D
good to hear your on board 8)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

RavioliKid

FuzzyBear,

I don't get over to FF that much any more, but I saw the link to this thread on Facebook.

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so much better! But, I have to say that I am APPAULED that you were released from the hospital without a plan to get you home other than by bus. I know Canadians are tough, but that is unbelievable!

Keep up with the life improvement and keep on living! smiley_clapping
RavioliKid

SwampDonkey

Status Indian, and he would never had taken a Grey Hound.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

fuzzybear
Sure appreciate hearing from you. And look forward to more about how you are getting along in the "bush".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawman

glad to here you are on the road to recovery. thanks again for sharing your experience.
  we will keep you and yours in our prayers, God bless.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

CX3

Sorry to hear that I said a little prayer for ya
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

clww

An inspirational story on an inspirational website, fuzzybear!
Hang in there Buddy...It only gets better tomorrow! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ernie

Glad you're getting better,  The Good Lord obviously has more for you to do down here.  Your are an inspiration to us all.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Burlkraft

Hey Fuzzy,

I had one o' them myself.

I died fer a bit and they got me going again.

I only got 10 stents tho  ;D

My ...I guess you call 'em Stent Installer.... said the most he had done was 12.
(Docb can follow up behind and clean this up!)  ;D ;D

I think ya may be at the limit or close to it anyway.

After I got discharged I couldn't have imagined a ride home on the grey dog!

I felt the same way you did. I was depressed, I couldn't do anything.

I soon learned that when you get tired you rest. I can go like Hell for 3 or 4 hours, but then I'm done for the next 24.

They are still messin' with my meds and it's been almost 4 years. I don't imagine I'll ever get a set med list for life as things do change quite a bit as time goes on..

It's probably been a lot harder for you as it sounds like you live out in the bush.

Hang in there it gets better to a point and then that's when you are finally ready to accept that you can't do all the things you used to do. I  am getting older also. I forgot about that.  ;D

Glad ya made it.

Look forward to seein' your future posts!  ;D

Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

Wow , 12 stents ... well if you are gonna have um have um in numbers .  Welcome back partner ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ron Scott

Great recovery! Hang in there and take care of yourself there in the bush.
~Ron

WDH

FB,

You are an inspiration to us and I thank you for sharing this.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coon

Hang in there fuzzybear.  The days are getting longer and spring is just around the corner.  Keep the spirits up and just take life one step at a time.  You'll be better than you have felt in years with excercise and a healthy diet.  Bears never go down with a good fight..... especially a fuzzybear.  ;D  :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

DonT

Glad to hear things are going better.The forum is a collection of very special people.Sometimes just knowing some oone else cares is a huge lift.Speaking from experience there.

thecfarm

Maybe you can be like Burlkraft and be 4 years old again.  ;D   ;D
Good to hear your outlook on life is better.Good luck with the road ahead of you.Many are here to help out if needed.We are only a keyboard away.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Hey Donovan it's kinda like getting pulled over for speeding. Ya loose a couple of points,no doubt, but you still have your license.  Sometimes you have to slow down or pick a different route.  Go easy.   ;D
logon

Autocar

Fuzzybear Iam sort of a new guy but agree one hundred percent that this web site can pick your spirets up.  I read about the problems some of the guys have with there equipment and realize Iam not the only fellow that has greasy hands  ;D Glad your doing better Bill.
Bill

Chuck White

Glad things have turned out well for you Fuzzybear.

Attitude and outlook have everything to do with recovery!

I had a heart attack back in Mar 1995, 16 years ago, WOW!

They figured that I had banged my knee (still had a big bruise on it) and a small blood clot lodged in one of the small arteries on the front of my heart.

No stints though.  They just kept me for about a week, then I went home with a few meds and after 3 weeks, I went back to work.

Sounds like you are in the right frame of mind, so stay with us on the Forestry Forum.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

AvT

Hey Fuzzy, I see you are still posting so things must be ok.  Probably none of my business but I was wondering how you are doing these days.
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

fuzzybear

Good day AvT, and the rest of my fellow forumites.  ;D
  Well it's been 8 months since that day and things are going good.  I had a rough patch there for a while, but I've got things worked out. I had serious side effects from the meds that were given to me by the doctors. I finally threw them out and started with an alternative solution.  It made a world of difference.
  It took me a while to accept that I'm never going to do things like I used to. It's been said that I'm to stubborn. ::)  I push myself a little more each day and I listen to my heart a lot more now. When it tells me to rest, I do.
  I've made it back to the bush and have been at camp a lot lately.  I pull out 2 cords every other day now. It's a way more relaxed pace than before.
  My family and I have begun to start building what will be my last home. I will post more on this on another thread soon.
  The greatest thing going for me right now is my family. I spend way more time with my children and wife now. My children have helped to teach me to live in the here and now. They are my greatest strength.
  I don't know how much time I have left on this beautiful planet, but I know I am making the most of it now.  I try to live each day like it is my last one. I know I'm living on borrowed time, but that is ok. I've had a good life so far and I'm going to have a great rest of my life.
  I hope that you all read this in good health. I also hope that each of you takes the time to relax, and enjoy your life and family. They are the only real things that matter at the end of the day.
FB

jim king

Fuzzybear:

As some one said if you don´t wake up with a toe tag it will be a good day.

My wife is still recovering and doing better little by little and almost has her Spanish back now.  Still missing a bit but will get back to almost normal as it looks .  Only the being old part has no cure.

Life ain´t always easy.

sawguy21

Good to hear from you buddy. I went through a rough period just over five years ago (wow, has it been that long?) the support and encouragement I received here really helped the healing process.
You, Jim, Burlkraft and others have shared stories the rest of us can learn serious lessons from. Thank you and all the best.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Coon

It's good to hear from you Fuzzybear.  Glad things are working out for you.  Would love to hear more about your building project/ retirement home.  ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

doctorb

Love that attitude, Fuzzybear.   :)

Magicman

It's good to hear from you my friend.  My best wishes to you and your family on the home construction.  Keep in touch.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I always say family is important. I try to be there at the plays,ball games,music things,birthdays and all the other things,even if I have to call into at work. Have to take care of yourself,no one else will.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!