iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We'll need to see an ID

Started by Norm, June 11, 2011, 05:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Last time I was in to buy beer at the local store where I've shopped for years the clerk asked for me to show ID to buy the beer. Now this isn't something new but always in the past they just typed in a random date but "management" decided that no exceptions everyone needed to show ID. Mindless rules like this perturb me so I told them tell management they just lost a customer. I don't think they believed me but I told them don't order any more of the beer I buy and I'll pick up whatever is delivered in the mean time so they aren't left stuck with a beer they don't normally sell. When Patty stopped in the next week they had all sorts of reasons why having to show ID was no big deal.

So I'm now a proud owner of a kegerator.

Ron Scott

~Ron

isawlogs

It has a nice look to it there, sure did not take long for her to learn the howtoos    ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Now you can have a beer while trying to decide which grill to buy use  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

In the first picture I first thought that Patty already had one too many and was about to fall backwards. Then I realized that I was seeing a reflection of her left leg in the kegerator not her right leg. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sawguy21

You are a big boy, why do they need to see ID?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bugdust

I was in Walmart a couple days ago and the grandsons wanted a pack of sparklers ....... sparklers mind you, and when I went to pay the lady ask me for an ID. I've been told I don't look 60, but shouldn't the white hair be a dead give-way? Bless her heart I guess she was just doing her job, but maybe a little over kill.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Larry

But now the problem is you only have one...they always run dry at the very worst times. smiley_beertoast  I see another kegerator in your future.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doctorb

They need to see an ID since they got a warning for selling to underage kids.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

easymoney

if i am not mistaken in Tennessee you have to show id to buy beer or cigarettes. i do not buy either but i think it is ridiculous to have to show id if you are obviously a senior citizen.

WildDog

That is a classy bit of gear Norm. Nicky wouldn't believe me if I came home and said, "The publican asked for ID, its time to get a kegonator" She's 13yrs younger than me and my older age is a bit of a joke around home. I can just imagine her laughing :D
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Kansas

Walked into an airport bar a couple of years back. They asked for my ID. I was flattered until a 75 year old man had to show his too. What did that kegerator cost?

Which reminds me. There still is beer in the keg we had yesterday here at the farm. I expect to have visitors today to help finish it off.  The occasion was the First Annual trolling motor races.

maple flats

I used to keep a keg with a lock on it to prevent unauthorized use but when the kids were teenagers I caught them bypassing the lock with 3 pipe wrenches and serving friends. That was the end, I no longer kept any beer in the house. The last 6 pack I bought still has 3 bottles in it, I'll bet it is not like wine, that was 2 years ago I bought it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Norm

Kansas they are $400-$500 depending on the model. I figured with Patty's beer drinking habit and the cheaper cost of beer in a keg I'll be in the black in a couple of months. Now let's hear about the races.

It's been 20 some years since I looked like I needed to have an ID to buy beer so there's no doubt on my age. No wonder I lock the gate at the end of my drive.

Kansas

Various trolling boats decked out with different themes. One guy had a Hagar the Horrible hat on complete with horns and a dragon mounted to the front. I told him it looked more like a great dane. One had camoflage and a rubber chicken mounted on the front of his. One pair of girls went with a Mardi Gras Scheme, complete with pinata on the front of theirs. Oh yeah, there is now a trolling motor battery in the bottom of my lake. They probably shouldn't have hit the 'shine before the start of the competition.

Roxie

No pictures, Kansas?   That sounds like fun. 

Norm, it sure looks as though the stores loss is Patty's gain!   8)
Say when

Dan_Shade

around here, most of the time, the full "ID" thing is the result of an uncover bust where the police find a kid that looks like he's 30 to go buy beer.

The businesses tend to put up a sign explaining the whole thing in pretty direct words.  It serves pretty well to make the patrons mad at authorities, and not the establishment.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jim king

Yes, there is a culture difference on this issue from here to there.  Here if the buyer is tall enough to  climb onto the chair and order beer or cigarettes they get it.  

That is a really nice cooler, we have a brewery in town but no draft beer yet.  The beer only comes in ¾ liter bottles so far.  The cost of beer is $1.00 per bottle in normal stores and bars but if you go up town it could get as high as $2.00.  When I had a full time turner I used to make beer coolers out of wood to keep the beer cold on the restaurant tables as with one or two people drinking in this heat the beer gets warm fast.

This is the closest we can come to a kegerator.

Raider Bill

Quote from: easymoney on June 11, 2011, 11:27:28 PM
if i am not mistaken in Tennessee you have to show id to buy beer or cigarettes. i do not buy either but i think it is ridiculous to have to show id if you are obviously a senior citizen.

That is the law. Everyone gets carded.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

JV

They started that in my area some time ago.  Must be part of the political correctness crap, if you single out one age group you must be stereotyping, so let's bug everyone.  Meanwhile, the waitress checking my id looks like she is still in junior high school.  Oh well, buuuurp, bring me another tall one.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Dan_Shade

I'm with JV, my bigger concern is they say no!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Patty

I just get so tired of the baloney/gestapo tactics. Next thing you know the food police won't let me buy chips because I am too fat.  >:(     And the longer we the people allow them to do this to us, the more freedoms we lose. It is time to stand up and not allow it to continue.  This grocery store needs to fully understand that they lost a good cash paying customer because of their tactics......maybe, just maybe if this happens often enough they will rethink these asinine rules.

In the meantime I have cold beer on tap in my very own kitchen!! Whhooo Hooo!    Life is good!  smiley_beertoast 
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Dan_Shade

it's not the store that you should be mad at.  He's covering his ass, and your business loss was an "insurance payment".

You should be mad at the state for enforcing the rules the way they enforce them.  Want to get even with the state, brew your own beer so that they don't get the share from the tax.

Dan_Shade

to add to the frustrations:

In maryland, one must fill out a form in order to purchase a keg of beer.  There is no cash and carry.

"The man" gets his way around here....

customsawyer

I have had one of those keganators for a couple of years but never posted pic. of it as I don't tend to recommend it much. You start out thinking it will save you money but when you start to drink more than it don't save you much. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!