iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Properties and values of Norway Spruce

Started by pollywoggholler, March 27, 2008, 06:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pollywoggholler

Hello, I have access to Norway Spruce that was planted back in 1940's.  Many local mills don't like spruce for many reasons.  I feel that it is a valuable wood product.  I am wondering if some one could supply me with some information on the property and uses of Norway Spruce.  Thank you, Pollywogg Bill

Mike_Barcaskey

I don't think you are going to receive much interest from big mills, you know they don't like anything out of the ordinary. You need to find a small mill with a market or find the market yourself and pay to have it cut and sell it or turn the new found market over to the sawyer and hope he continues to buy the logs.
I sell all of my spruce to one fellow here in southwest Pennsylvania and receive .20 or .25 pbf for the logs, depending on grade. He mills them himself and then turns around and builds upscale horse barns and such with the rough cut lumber. His market is small and he only buys 50 to 60 logs a year off of me, but these are logs from my tree service crew and that's about all we get in a year.
He also sells the lumber to folks building outside tool sheds and such.
The knots are the limiting factor. He usually wont cut them on the Wood Mizer as you will get waves in the cut at the knots. He prefers his circle mill.
We cut some ourselves on the Logosol and use the boards for replacements on the barn.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

WDH

Norway spruce lumber is imported in the US from Sweden and sold as structural lumber like the Spruce-pine-fire (SPF) produced in the US and Canada.  Who knows, you mighty have bought some without knowing it.

The Norway Spruce produced in Sweden is a good grade tree generally 75 - 100 years old.  I believe that it is probably superior to Norway Spruce grown here because Scandnavia is the tree's native range.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

The Norway spruce is native to Europe but has widely been planted across Michigan, mostly as an ornamental, but enjoys some popularilty as a Christmas tree. It has had some increased attention as a timber species where it may be more plentiful and demonstrates good quality.

It is the fastest growing spruce in Michigan. Bark derivitives can be used for varnish and medicinal compounds.

~Ron

Don P

Its design strength values are lower than SPF. Yes European NSpruce is flooding our lumber markets here...
Sweden, Finland, Lithuania, Estonia, Germany, France, Switzerland, Romania, Ukraine

Fb ~ 725 psi, E about 1.2 million psi in #2 grade
SPF Fb 875, E 1.4

SwampDonkey

We have planted 100's of acres of it here in the Maritimes and it does very well. The wood would be similar to our native white spruce and no mill here would refuse it if it meets the mill specs.  The scaler wouldn't know the difference anyway. The bark is more pitchy than our native spruce though, leaning toward fir. :)

Getting back to Don's #'s, show us the numbers for balsam fir, then Jack Pine. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mike_Barcaskey

I think white spruce is much nicer to handle and mill than Norway.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

tonich

Norway Spruce is commonly spread across our country and its timber has a wide range of uses, incl. woodworking and furniture.
So I guess.., it is a valuable wood product.   ;D ;D ;)

WDH

tonich,

Isn't Norway Spruce probably one of the three most valuable timber trees in Europe?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Balsam fir and jack pine are typically graded as "eastern softwoods"
#2 Fb 575 psi, E 1.1 That's the same as eastern white pine BTW  ;)

SwampDonkey

She's stamped SPF here, that's native spruces, balsam fir and jack pine. And it all grows from Newfie Land to the rockies. ;D

Sitka is separated and has different properties even when ID'ing.

Guess where this piece of lumber came from. ;D

It sure didn't come from the Maritimes, no MLB stamp. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tonich

Quote from: WDH on March 29, 2008, 07:16:33 AM
tonich,

Isn't Norway Spruce probably one of the three most valuable timber trees in Europe?

Indeed, it is one of the three most valuable timber trees in Bulgaria.
So it should be in Europe.  ::)

SwampDonkey

That piece of lumber is from Quebec province and is the Quebec forest industry council logo.

http://www.qfic.qc.ca/html/english/membres/details_reguliers.php?id=2060&idu=633

It's up on the Gaspe as you can see in the above link. Now I bought two types of lumber, one tung and groove from one hardware store, Ace Home Hardware, and another from BMR. BMR as far as I know is Barrett lumber in NS. I don't know why they truck that in here, when these stores are 10 miles from Crabbe Lumber. It sure as heck isn't cheaper lumber. ::)

Timburr

Pollywoggholler, welcome to the forum.   Feel free, if you have the need, to come back and discuss further.

Properties and uses of Norway spruce from a British perspective:-

Density is 390;  small moisture movement;  medium texture;  good working qualities;  non-durable;  heartwood resistant to preservative treatment.

Uses include "construction (general carcassing and framing);  building sheds;  joinery (interior);  mining timber;  woodwool;  fencing;  boxes and crates;  packaging;  pallets;  flooring;  gates and posts;  rails;  pitprops;  ladder poles;  chip and pulp;  bark products."
So yes, a fairly comprehensive, general purpose timber!

Quote from: WDH on March 29, 2008, 07:16:33 AM
tonich,

WDH, although you said "probably", could you elaborate on the other two, because I may or not be inclined to disagree with you!!  :D :D
Sense is not common

WDH

I was thinking that Scots Pine and Norway Spruce have to be among the most valuable from a commercial standpoint. 

Thank You Sponsors!