iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mystery Conifer

Started by lowpolyjoe, March 10, 2013, 08:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Hey Guys

I'm a sucker for  a seedling.  I rescue just about every one i find on my lawn.  Most of them don't make it, but this guy is about 2 years old and almost ready for planting. 

I've got tons of evergreens on my property.  Some only grow to 10-15 feet, some are 100ft.  I can't tell what this guy is going to be.  Can anyone help me out?   The likely size will determine where i put him. 

Many thanks,
Joe

sprucebunny

Red spruce.

I love little trees, too.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ArborJake

Looks to me like a norway spruce. Lot's of them in your area.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the suggestions :)   I did a lot of looking at pictures online this morning, but without the little guy in front of me i can't pick a match.  Both look pretty similar to my untrained eye. 

In either case, it seems like these guys can get pretty big, so i will have to plant accordingly.   I might try to put him in a large planter this spring and then use him for a Christmas tree in December before putting him outside.  Wonder how much he'll grow in a year.  I see some comments online that deer prefer not to eat spruce unless nothing else is available.  He's made it this far which is more than most seedlings can say in my yard  :D

Interesting blurb from the Wiki of the Norway Spruce:

"Every Christmas, the Norwegian capital city, Oslo, provides the cities of New York, London (the Trafalgar Square Christmas tree), Edinburgh and Washington D.C. with a Norway Spruce, which is placed at the most central square of each city. This is mainly a sign of gratitude for the aid these countries gave during the Second World War."

Thank You Sponsors!