iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Tree is this?

Started by Andy White, May 12, 2013, 11:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

I know I can get the right answer here! I have a few friends that have told me this tree is every thing from a Walnut to a Douglas Fir! So What Is It???

Would like to know for sure...        Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Sprucegum

Its not Douglas Fir and those are not walnuts....I'm gonna guess Hickory  ;)

proteus

I am assuming there are many types of hickory. I have a few in the yard that I call shag hickory. The bark of the tree in this pic is very different. What type of hickory is it?
Greg

mesquite buckeye

Mockernut hickory,  Carya tomentosa
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

JRod

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on May 15, 2013, 12:12:21 PM
Mockernut hickory,  Carya tomentosa

Yep. Mockernut for sure. The diamond bark pattern is more deeply ridged than the similar bitternut and pignut hickories. The leaves and nuts seal the deal.

Thank You Sponsors!