iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickie Quiz Jackpot #15

Started by mesquite buckeye, June 05, 2013, 07:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Challenge match.

Background (Clue #1): This wood was found perched 15 feet above a stream on the top of a boulder in a canyon in the Santa Catalina Mountains near Tucson 25 years ago, deposited during a flood. I puzzled over what it was for 15 years before I found a match for the wood in a living tree.

Who am I?

Clue #2

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mesquite buckeye

Nope. :snowfight1: air_plane electricuted-smiley dadgum you, Charlie! logrite_cool logrite_cool smiley_swinging_board
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

pabst79

Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

mesquite buckeye

giant splinter

roll with it

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

ancjr

giant splinter

This is going to be a tough one as that mountain range has had many fires and many species of trees with records dating back to the late 1200's, Douglas fir, Ponderosa pine and Spruce as well as may others and to the north near Flagstaff there is Bristlecone pine one dating back to A.D.685.
I have to ask could your sample be from the coniferous forest zone in this area (Santa Catalina Mountains) or is it from the Sonoran desert zone or the mid range areas?.
roll with it

pabst79

For all the marbles, is it desert willow?  :laugh:
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: giant splinter on June 06, 2013, 02:56:56 PM
This is going to be a tough one as that mountain range has had many fires and many species of trees with records dating back to the late 1200's, Douglas fir, Ponderosa pine and Spruce as well as may others and to the north near Flagstaff there is Bristlecone pine one dating back to A.D.685.
I have to ask could your sample be from the coniferous forest zone in this area (Santa Catalina Mountains) or is it from the Sonoran desert zone or the mid range areas?.

Found around 4500'. Canyon goes up to over 8000'.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: pabst79 on June 07, 2013, 08:34:40 PM
For all the marbles, is it desert willow?  :laugh:

Sorry dude. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

giant splinter

Ok so lets see, the cacti is mostly below the 4000 ft. elevation mark so I think I will start with Ironwood ;D
roll with it

mesquite buckeye

The highest ironwoods rarely get over 3000'.   (Uh, elevation, not tall. Duh.)

And no.  dadgum you, Charlie!

giant splinter

roll with it

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Seriously, it looks like birch.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on June 08, 2013, 12:38:25 AM
Palo roho.

You funny fella. Never heard of that red pole. ;D 8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on June 08, 2013, 12:39:14 AM
Seriously, it looks like birch.

No birches or sons of birches in the Santa Catalina Mountains. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Only birch in AZ is Betula fontinalis, which is only found in the Lukachukai and Tunitcha Mountains on the Navajo Reservation and along the North Rim of the Grand Canyon at 7-8000'. :P

giant splinter

roll with it

mesquite buckeye

giant splinter

Rocky mountain juniper or Colorado juniper
roll with it

Thank You Sponsors!