iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is something out there killing pine trees in MI?

Started by Paschale, May 25, 2004, 05:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Hi everyone,

I'm a pretty regular commuter on the road between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo.  I've noticed over the past couple of years that many of the pine trees (I think Scotch pine, but not sure) have been dying.  I first noticed this last year in a stand in the median--it appeared as if these trees had actually caught fire.  The tree trunks themselves were dark, and the needles completely brown.  I've noticed this spring that this isn't a solitary case, and I've been noticing in different locations similar situations.  I've got several massive conifers in my back yard, which I'd hate to lose.  I've yet to see these same symptoms, but I want to try and find out if there's some sort of bug/blight/disease out there that's effecting pine trees.  Any ideas?

Dan M.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

If it's just along roadways, then it's probly the salt from the winter. Some years are worst then others. Some trees can hang on only so long, then when we have a bad winter, the extra salt will kill them.
When traveling North or South in Western Mi, watch and see if the trees on the Eastern side of the highways have a higher number of trees that look like that. The wind can carry the salt laden snow and slush a hundred feet or more in some cases, as well as runoff during the melt.

Paschale

Thanks for the reply.  I hope that's the case, so I really won't worry about my pine trees until/unless they show some sign of a problem.  With all the talk about emerald ash borer and other pesky critters, I just wondered if something was stalking pine trees now.  I guess salt's pesky enough!

Dan M.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Ron Scott

Ditto to what Furby has said on the road salt damage along with drought adding to the trees stress along the highways.
~Ron

Brian

SwampDonkey

Yes if its along road side, I'de have to go along with Furby on this. Only thing bothering Scots pine much here in NB is saw flies on the new leaders and Quil-dogs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!