iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home made debarker ideas ?

Started by The Log Eater, September 15, 2015, 09:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Log Eater

Has any one made a debarker for there saw mill that didn't have one or made something to clean the dirt off the log be for you make a cut I'm looking for some ideas
thanks David

beenthere

Often just used an axe to remove bark and dirt in the saw-cut line, as well as a sharp spade. Especially if there is mud/dirt/stones embedded in the bark. Just takes some time.. but helps keep the blade sawing through clean wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

york

Albert

Satamax

Yep, something like York showed.

A motor with a dado blade, or several of thoses stacked. A spindle moulder cutterhead. Whatever cuts. What york showed is a bit like a lancelot, for woodcarving.

One good idea, if you have a bit of travel in your horizontal movement, is to make a ramp in front of the cutter, so it can accomodate any size log. without you adjusting the position.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

fishfighter

Very interesting. Y'all giving me more ideas. ;D

Kbeitz

Carbide milling cutters would work for a long time.
E-bay has them.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

The Log Eater

Thanks for the ideas. .... I've thought about one of those log wizard that mounts to a chain saw I would think that the blades would get dull fast but I never thought about using  a cutter head with changeable inserts

Magicman

WM debarker blades have a negative tooth pitch.  This keeps them pulling out of the cut and prevents digging in and stalling the motor.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

If you are set up stationary I think you could make one with a side grinder if you could find some sort of blaee to fit on it. I don't think the lancelot or other chainsaw chain types would hold up very well, although they would be easy to sharpen.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

They will tend to load the debarked motor quite heavily.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Satamax

Quote from: The Log Eater on September 15, 2015, 08:44:51 PM
Thanks for the ideas. .... I've thought about one of those log wizard that mounts to a chain saw I would think that the blades would get dull fast but I never thought about using  a cutter head with changeable inserts

If a milling head is hard to find.

Arbortech industrial woodcarver has carbide inserts. That might be cheap enough for a debarker.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Ox

Using old circular saw blades stacked would work.  Turn them around so they're cutting "backwards".  After all, you're trying to scrape off bark, not cut grooves.  If you are stationary I would think any type of motor would work, like a 1/2 hp or something.  There are inserts and bushings available online to bush up from motor shaft to blade arbor size if need be.  I just try to keep my logs out of the mud and dirt and if they're dirty out comes the pressure washer.  I really don't want to get into designing a whole other possibly complex system for my simple sawmill.  Good luck to you and hopefully this turns into an interesting build thread!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

I keep the pressure washer by the mill 100% of the time and me and my wife fight over who gets to use the hose.  I do wonder what I will do come winter.  My logs are very dirty.
gww

slider

Before i moved up to a mill with a de-barker i used a draw knife. On dirty logs just trim the side where the band enters and you are good to go,not fancy but cheap and effective.
al glenn

gww

Slider
I have a draw knife, thanks
gww

The Log Eater

Thanks for all the good ideas  I'll see what I can come up with ........ I should just charge extra for dirty logs  ;D

Ox

Yep.  Gives the person incentive to keep their logs clean.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

bandmiller2

I have used a line debarker  and dislike the thing in my way and the beep beep. I chose not to put one on my homebuilt bandmill. I use a wire brush and axe and a few minutes time, sometimes simple is best. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

etroup10

I've been kind of thinking about something similar to a weed wacker. Should be able to clear the debris and not have to worry about it hanging up in the log.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Magicman

I would not deviate much from what has been tried and proven by today's sawmill manufacturers.  There are valid reasons for the designs.

bandmiller2

I have seen a debarker on a circular mill that the sawyer just manually pulled down to run ahead of the headsaw.  Could be done on a bandmill just on a different plane. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Banjo picker

I agree with Lynn, no need to reinvent the wheel.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!