iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine is back fireing and loss of power.

Started by woodsteach, November 16, 2007, 05:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

I have a 23 hp briggs vanguard on my Brand X and it has started backfireing at full speed.  I've also noticed a lack of power.

The mill set for 6 weeks this summer while I was busy logging and when I came back it started backfireing.

I am mildly handicapped when it comes to repair work.  (I have a socket set and that is about it).

Thank you

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

logwalker

Change your plug with your socket set. First things first. Good place to start.Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

woodsteach

Thanks for the repiles Jim and logwalker

Yep put in fresh "pure" unleaded (no ethenynol (sp)).  $3.10/gal

Spark Plug.... why didn't I think of that.  I'll get that done tomorrow and see if that is the culprit.

woodsteach

Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Polly

8)  get some carb cleaner gas guard fuel injector cleaner or anything that will help clean the jets in carb and mix in your gas the new forumulation gas is not mutch anytime you are not going to use any gas small engine for any length of time go to wall mart and get some stay bill and mix in gas in tank and run engine long enought to make sure the mixture is in the carb might not solve your problem but it will help ::)

01frick

I have worked on small engines for many years and have found that when a engine is backfiring it mostly due to electrical problems on the high output side of the electrical system. Not fuel. Curtis

scsmith42

I would check the fuel system to make sure that it wasn't running lean, check the electrical and spark system to make sure that it is getting proper juice at the proper time, and check the intake valve to make sure that it isn't sticking. 

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawguy21

Quote from: scsmith42 on November 16, 2007, 10:26:44 PM
I would check the fuel system to make sure that it wasn't running lean,
Scott
That is my thought too. Untreated gas can start causing problems after a short time. After changing the plugs, dump the old gas, pour in fresh then pull the choke when it starts to act up. Keep doing this till it smooths out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bandmiller2

Air cooled engines tend to run hot and dry around the head and valves.A little chainsaw mix does them good especially synthetic.Also a product called "sea foam "additive helps to preserve the crappy gas have now and clean the carb,NAPA stores can get it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woodsteach

Thanks to all for the replies  8) 8).  As soon as the local store opens I'm off for a spark plug, sea foam.

Quote from: 01frick on November 16, 2007, 08:19:12 PM
I have worked on small engines for many years and have found that when a engine is backfiring it mostly due to electrical problems on the high output side of the electrical system. Not fuel. Curtis

Curtis, would you explain more please?  Remember in my first post "I'm mechanicaly handicapped"   ;D ;D

woods

Polly

8)ignition system on engines has two electrical circuts primary and secendary primary isbattery through points to primary side of coil secendary is from coil to spark plug i agree with intake valve burnt or sticking  :)

Thank You Sponsors!