iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Arch and the Big Wood

Started by Greg Brown, July 04, 2012, 06:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Brown

Hello Everyone,

I hope this post is in the right place.

My family and I spent the Fourth at Westville, an 1850's living history village near Lumpkin
in southwest Georgia. Everything there is circa 1850.  As we were walking around I spotted
what I first thought was some sort of cannon carriage. A closer look revealed a set of logging tongs underneath. 

I wish there had been some sort of information regarding it's history but there wasn't.  As you can see it was parked under a shed with buggys, wagons, and lots of old stuff.

This is a cotton gin.  Two mules turned the wheel that drove the cotton gin located upstairs.
All of the construction was of hand hewn beams.

This is the cotton baler.
I could not help but be impressed with the ingenuity of the baler's constuction.  Oxen turn the baler pulling the poles.

The ''screw" is the threaded pole in the top center of the picture. It was made from a white oak tree, with hand hewn threads that compressed the bale.

After seeing how hard it is just turning cants on my mill and looking at the large size of the timbers used to build these things, I felt a great respect for what folks could do without power tools.

Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Greg.....I sure am glad you had your camera! These are some nice history pics. How tall do you thing those wheels are?

Thanks for sharing.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kelLOGg

That log arch is incredible. Looks just like the one I made! ;D ;D
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

crosscut

greg. I have an house less than a mile from there built in 1890.  We love it up there.

customsawyer

Great pics and nice story. If those wall could talk.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Greg Brown

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 04, 2012, 06:53:30 PM
Greg.....I sure am glad you had your camera! These are some nice history pics. How tall do you thing those wheels are?

Thanks for sharing.

David, I usually have a tape measure stuck to my side but not today.  I am 6' 2" and the wheels were taller than me. 7' perhaps.
Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

Sixacresand

I used to know a man in Sandersville, GA who owned one those huge horse drawn log arches.  The wheels were taller than me. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

bandmiller2

The advantage of large diameter wheels in the woods should not be overlooked,be they on your tractor or arch. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Maybe it's in the plan to be added to the museum. I have a book that shows alot of those Big Wheels.
How right you are bandmiller.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Oh they built some great huge things around the early 1900's .Redding iron works which later became part of Caterpilar when Holt and Best combined made some with 12-14 feet wheels that weighed several tons .

One design used a"slip tongue " around 30 feet long .Going up hill it lifted the front of the log and going down hill it lowered the log thus preventing the big log from  running  over the horses ,oxen or whatever was pulling the load .

I'd imagine more than several beasts of burden not to mention any amount of teamsters bought the farm from a runaway log . :o

Thank You Sponsors!