iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 045

Started by Onthesauk, September 05, 2006, 09:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

Neighbor down the street just traded his brother for a Stihl 045.  Have done a search but not a lot of info about it.  Apparently air filter no longer available?  Any reviews, comments, suggestions?

Steve
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

MDP

Look on ebay, you might be able to find parts for it there, it can be a good source for parts for those older saws. Good luck, Mark

fishhuntcutwood

You can also search for 056 filters as they are the same, and tend to be more common.
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Onthesauk

That's exactly the kind of info he needs.  Thanks a lot!

fishhuntcutwood - where in WA? in AK?

Steve
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: Onthesauk on September 05, 2006, 10:42:51 PM
fishhuntcutwood - where in WA? in AK?

Kodiak/Port Angeles.  Hopefully back to Kodiak when my tour in P.A. is done.  Plan to retire between Anchorage and Fairbanks.
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Onthesauk

I'll be up your way fishing, week after next.  Trolling flies for coho.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

jacob j.

Search the internet for Stens aftermarket parts for 045/056. There's a lot of shops with those parts still in stock. Air filters, fuel lines, fuel filters, fuel and oil caps, and chain tensioner parts were all made or distributed by Stens.

Onthesauk

Thanks Jacob.  My neighbor contacted the saw shop referenced here somewhere and got both an air filter and an old manual.  Believe the manual calls for 25:1 versus the 50:1 that the local saw shop suggested.  He thanks you all for your help.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

sawguy21

25:1 was the mix called for when the saw was built thirty years ago. I would halve that with today's oils.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Onthesauk

Thanks, I'll pass it on.

Have the sense, reading a bunch of these posts, that maybe 40:1 is still the best all around compromise for any age saw?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Thank You Sponsors!