iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would a Timber Framer do????

Started by bigshow, January 19, 2007, 08:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshow

I have my frame design basically complete.  I have just started to sit down and do the math on it now, and i have realized i do need to tweak a timber here or there already.  Problem is that my source for timbers needs my order in two weeks to start this year.  So....do i just oversize everything and order, or wait a year?  Local inspector wants plans signed off by an engineer as well.  I dont think i'll make the two weeks doing the math alone...plus the time for the engineer to look it over.  Not sure if i should risk it.  My gut says to hold off....but i'm curious about the community input...any ideas???
I never try anything, I just do it.

Stumpkin

I would start looking for another source for timber. If you order everything oversize it could cost a lot more  $$$
Tom
"Do we know what we're doing and why?"
"No"
"Do we care?"
"We'll work it all out as we go along. Let our practice form our doctrine, thus assuring precise theoretical coherence."      Ed Abbey

Raphael

I agree, oversizing every thing will definately cost more and doing it fast could lead to other issues.
If you've got an engineer you can sit down with and crank through the design in a marathon session you could make your 2 week deadline but that's going to cost more as well.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Jim_Rogers

Don't waste your time doing the math, that is what you're paying the engineer to do. That's his job, he can't accept your math and say it's right, by law in order for him to stamp your plans he has to do the math, to prove it is right. Get it to him as soon as you can and inform him of your deadline and see if he can work with you to get it done....
Good luck.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ARKANSAWYER

Like Jim said about the Engineer doing what he is paid for.  He should change the spec list for timbers as needed.   Also like Stumpkin said I would shop around for another supplier for timbers.
  GrandPa taught me to "measure twice and cut once".  Rushing will not save you anything and I do not know of any timber framers who get in a big hurry because not only is this an art, it is dangerous.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!