iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging tractor

Started by 1938farmall, February 20, 2009, 03:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debushau

I also use an L5740 with a Farmi to do some light firewood logging. I used to own a JD 3520 but I found that it lacked ground clearance and had too high of a center of gravity. The JD 4000 series is better in that respect but still lacks ground clearance compared to the Kubota and is somewhat more "electronic". The JD has a nicer cab though.

I looked also at an M6040 which is about the same HP as the L5740 but is a larger frame and more weight. I felt that the L was a better choice in this application because HST and a shorter length make it easier to navigate through tight trails. On the weight issue, once you put a loader on it, fill the tires, and slap a Farmi on the back, you are getting up to 6,000 lb in weight. If that's not enough, you can get wheel weights, put on a belly pan, etc.

Maineloggerkid

I use a 4120 full time for logging. My best was 21 cords in 2 1/2 days. The average is about 6-7 cords a day, and I get my wood hauled by a 9 cord truck.( 8 cord legally, but he always overloads) I usually cut tree length because it is quicker, but I like to cut logs in the woods. It seems much better, the lot looks nicer, and you pay more attention to details. My setup is better suited to selective cutting where the emphasis is on quality, not quantity of wood produced.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

mike_van

My limited 2 cents - Steep ground, lots of rocks, skidder country.  The rest of it I think depends on the operator, how careful they are. Some will cut off a 4" tree, some want to push it over & mush on - A guy trying to fill a quota with a tractor is probably going to push it right to the max & beyond all the time.  Someone doing their own stuff on their own lands going to be a lot easier.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sparky

Selecting a tractor is like eating a watermellon. "Go for the red and throw the green away".

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

thedeeredude

Self loathing, are we?   ;D

woodmills1

the other orange has treated me well. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

cilley

Hi everyone...........what you have usually depends on what your needs are........small operation, smaller tractor.........not in a hurry, same thing........and of course the number one concern.....what we can afford.........I just bought a 1963 Ford 4000 this weekend.........its not pretty.....but i know it will do what I want it to do..........price was right and paint is cheap....getting ready to mill some wood in the next 2 weeks........take care all.......Alan

sparky

Deer Dude,

I have two green tractors, but my other colors outnumber them about 12 to 2. I am into antique tractors and most of mine start by crank. The John Deere and Oliver were bought because of price and the fact they have FELs. I have used both of them to skid and load.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

thedeeredude

Any pictures sparky?  I love antique tractors in all colors. ;D 

Dave Shepard

I've got a few, there all red but one. I-14 electric, SW6-TA, I-4, F-12 Waukesha, are a couple of the neater ones. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sparky

Deer Dude,

I need to learn the procedure for posting photos. I will post a few when I discover how to do it. My pride and joy is a 1925 Minneapolis Threshing Machine, Model 17-30. It has a 2 speed tranny and 2nd is 3.25 MPH. It is a cross motor designed for belt work with 30 belt HP. The manifold has a selector to switch between distillate fuel and gasoline. It is stuck in the distillate position so I can't work it hard. I would like to belt it up to our tractor club's circular sawmill just for a cheap thrill.

Sparky

Polly

how about the log wench that fits on the 3 point hitch and runs off the pto has anyone got one,are they any good :-\ :-\ 8)

Dave Shepard

I've got an older Farmi winch, and it's great. If you are logging with a tractor, it makes a big difference. Not only is it good for pulling logs out of weird places, but it keeps the butts off the ground, keeping things a little cleaner, and makes them easier to pull. Also, you can drop the logs and navigate around small obstacles, and then winch the logs back to the machine. Go back to the first page to see my logging setup, post #17
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Reddog

Yes, as Dave pointed out they work well.
I have a 601 Farmi.

Banjo picker

What would be the speed and capasity of the farmi, I have a M7040 Kubota with a front end loader.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dave Shepard

Height:       65"
Width:       55"
Shipping Weight:       725 lbs.
Pulling Capacity:       11025 lbs.
Drum Capacity:       Sold with 165" of ½" cable with option of up to 265' of 3/8" cable
Winching Speed:       1 to 5 ft. per second.
Clutch:       Mechanical friction plate clutch with heat sink
Power Transmission:       Universal shaft from tractor
Mounting:       To Category I or II 3-point hitch
Tractor Size:       Min. 40 HP, Max. 60 HP
Related Product:       Farmi 501T Skidding  Winch -  501 with Electric Hydraulic Control System

Height:       69 11/16"
Width:       70 7/8"
Shipping Weight:       990 lbs
Pulling Capacity:       13,200 lbs
Drum Capacity:       Sold Standard with 165' of 9/16" cable, all other lengths and sizes are optional and available
Winching Speed:       40-200 ft. per minute
Clutch:       Mechanical friction plate clutch with heat sink
Power Transmission:       Universal shaft from tractor
Mounting:       Category I or II 3-point hitch
Tractor Size:       Min. 60 HP, Max. 150 HP
Related Product:       Farmi 601T Skidding  Winch -  601 with Electric Hydraulic Control System

Hermio

I know this is an old thread, but I just joined, and want to weigh in. In the discussion of gear vs. HST, few have mentioned the issue of safety. With a gear drive, the tractor will not stop if it starts to rear up unless you find the clutch and push it in, and you have less than 1 second to do that in many cases. You could be dead if you fail to do that. With an HST, unless it is in cruise control (which is a bad idea in the woods), all you have to do is stop pushing on the pedal. HST also helps if you are about to be impaled on a sapling or branch that pops up. I have had my life potentially saved this way once, as well as when my ROPS hit a tree branch and the tractor front end lifted up. So, for me , HST is the safest way to go in the woods. Yes, it is mechanically less efficient, but who is using 100% of engine power in the woods anyway? The efficiency factor really only matters in field work, not woods work.

Thank You Sponsors!