iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick 01 Sawmill

Started by GarySchmidt, August 17, 2011, 12:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GarySchmidt

I have a Frick 01 sawmill that I want to fix up and run.  This mill was used by my Father and his brother up until the early 1970's.  It was used outside without a shed and now the woodwn parts have decayed.  It was made in the early 1960's and had the wooden husk and carriage.  I am looking for some diagrams that would show where to drill the holes for attaching the shafts and pulleys.  If I could not find the factory diagrams I am looking for a 01 mill that is close to the Nashville, Tennessee area that I could look at to take the measurments myself.

Gary Schmidt

Ron Wenrich

Frick is still being made by Albright Saw in Ohio.  They might be a good contact place to get prints for the 01.  It was a popular mill here in the East.  They still make it, but they've done away with the wood. 

http://fricksawmills.com/

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Gary welcome,and good sport getting the old family mill back in operation.Google Frick mills I have seen plans on the internet but can't remember exactly where.What are you planning to use for power??Be sure to use stable wood for the rebuild,old reclamed timbers or that dandy hard southern pine. If you run across some good steel reasonable don't overlook it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Welcome GarySchmidt, to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GarySchmidt

Reply to bandmiller2:  I have several options for power.  I have a Cummings 256 (I think ) diesel engine,  an M Farmall tractor,  access to a John Deere D (501+ cubic inches).  What I really want to pull it with is a 1924 Keck Gonnerman steam traction engine.  That is what my Dad used.  Unfortunately, it needs some boiler work.  Maybe if I could sell some lumber I could have the Keck's boiler repaired.
I bought some kiln dried 4 x 12's from by local lumber yard that I plan on using for the husk.

bandmiller2

Gary,what does the old Keck need just tubes I hope.When I had the AB Farquar boiler I got quite good at tube replacement,the tools are around.I'd love to hear the mill run with the old JD "D".You'll find anything but the steamer will be welcome in the winter pain in the butt draining or banking the fire overnite. Keep us posted with your progress Gary. Frank C.

GarySchmidt

The Keck needs tubes and some boiler work as it is thin in some places.  A knowledgeable steam traction man told me three years ago that it would take about $6000 to get the engine in shape to run at about 100 pounds of pressure.  I would like to run it at 150 pounds like we used to do.
I have to put siding on my house and then renovate a rental house that I own before I start work on the sawmill.  I am thinking that it will be next fall before I start on the sawmill.  I just want to get started finding the info I will need.

Gary

bandmiller2

Gary, 150lb. would be dandy, you can get by with 100lb but it would slow in large oak.I had an 8 1/2"  x11" single cylinder engine that did quite well on 80lb in softwood.Some states make you jump through hoops to get an old boiler inspected. Frank C.

GarySchmidt

I have been told that my state, Tennessee, is one of those that does make you do some jumping.

bandmiller2

There are two roads to travel with an old boiler once you get the state involved theirs no turning back.The outher is keep it on the farm outah sight and just use it.I would never use a high pressure boiler without having a good boiler man go over it.I coldwater tested mine to twice working pressure.Theirs nothing more vicious on the face of the earth than high pressure steam,I'am sure your family has told you stories.      Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!