iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's a sad day.

Started by gator gar, August 19, 2011, 10:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

I walked in a store the other day and asked a well known logger if he would like to buy my mill. He said no, but he might know someone who might. I was just kind of kidding with him to start with, but had given it some thought. So, I got the mans name and number and come to find out, he had Woodmizers brochure in his truck and I had just what he was looking for.

He asked what I would take for it and I told him. Today, he showed up with the money and hauled his new mill away. That simple and that quick. Hopefully, he'll use it more than I did. I got to the point where I didn't use it at all.

On a positive note, I am completely debt free, other than utilities and insurance. This extra cash has put me in the black. Everything I have is paid for. I've got a shutdown at the refinery coming up in Sept, that pays really well and more work to follow. Everything just seems to be clicking along just fine. I hope it continues.

fishpharmer

Is kinda sad.  You know whats right for you.  With this economy, debt free is a good idea.
You still run an LT 70 occasionally?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

We all have to make tough decisions sometimes.  I wish you the best with this new twist in your life.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

I have always thought if you own a piece of equipment that is worth something, and you aren't using it and don't expect to, if you can sell it for a fair price you should. Its not like there aren't other used Woodmizers out there. If in one or two or 5 years you want to mill again, you can always buy one back.  Even if the equipment is already paid for, it may as well be money sitting in the bank or invested in something else.

bandmiller2

Gator, may be time to change flavors rebuild an old circular or try a swinger.If your really not trying to find a mill they show up everywhere. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

paul case

it is kind of strange how fast things can change. your mill wasnt a year old was it?
being in debt to no one has its perks. i plan to be there in about 3 years unless i am able to sell a house i have on the market, then it will be much quicker. it kinda takes off a lot of pressure, gives ya a little room to breathe. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

gator gar

Quote from: fishpharmer on August 19, 2011, 10:55:01 PM

You still run an LT 70 occasionally?

Yes, I still run the LT 70. So I have access to a mill. Plus, Boman said I could use his mill whenever I need one. It was just a shame for it to sit out there and not be used. It was a year old back in April.

Texas Ranger

Just so long as you haven't given up fishin........
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

GeneH

Glad you got the price you wanted....mine sits months at a time but my woman keeps sayin' you got it for when you retire...I just want my wife to know the value if I croak unexpectedly. Like everybody says, there are still plenty of mills around when you get ready. Just don't quit cookin' and postin' pics, yours were the first ones I looked at in the food forum. Yeah, got our fishing license and went fishin'. She caught a good cat within 15 minutes, we got a few good size 'gills and then fish fry. Thanks for the inspiration man!!!!

Dave_

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 20, 2011, 07:15:30 AM
If your really not trying to find a mill they show up everywhere. Frank C.

Now that's funny :D

...and very true

hershey

Quote from: Kansas on August 20, 2011, 05:51:59 AM
I have always thought if you own a piece of equipment that is worth something, and you aren't using it and don't expect to, if you can sell it for a fair price you should. Its not like there aren't other used Woodmizers out there. If in one or two or 5 years you want to mill again, you can always buy one back.  Even if the equipment is already paid for, it may as well be money sitting in the bank or invested in something else.

if equiptment is already depreciated out, it is probably gaining value sitting there at a better rate than the money in the bank.  my enercraft is probably worth more now than when i bought it. i have often had that conversation w/ my wife about selling my current mill, she wants our son to learn the skill, and it doesn't cost anything sitting there, i still do put 30 or so hours on it a year, i used to do that every week back in the day.

i have a pile of scrap iron that i should haul in, but every once in a while i pull a chunk out of it i need, plus scrap seems to be a decent investment as of late.

i can also remember the day i sold my 2nd mill ( first mill was to upgrade to the second), my prayer to our risen Savour was God i can't do a real job, this sawmill operation, and court my wife.  it was the clearest answer to prayer i ever got.   it cost me $2100 a month to cover bonding, payments, insurance just before i could claim a dime for myself.  i sold the mill w/ in 48 hours of the prayer, and my semi and log truck never moved for over 6 months from the day of the prayer, and then it was only to move them closer to the road and put a 4 sale sign in them.

Thank You Sponsors!