iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

diesel lombard tractor

Started by loggah, November 01, 2014, 08:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

So what are you going to do with it when you're done? :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

loggah

Peter,I haven't thought that far ahead ! ;D ;D I know i will run it a few times at some snowmobile meets, got to compete with the model"T" ford snowmobiles.I intend to finish making a couple sets of sleds to pull behind it ,for a historic display. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

Auburn is only an hour from me. When you come pick on the raditor,just a little bit more will bring you to my place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Who do you use for casting work? We use an Amish place in PA.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

loggah

There is a non-ferrous foundry in Franklin about 30 miles from me,Patriot Foundry,great people to do work with,young couple own it and are very accommodating,i brought parts in loose with no patterns,and they did great work.The only iron foundry left in N.H. is in Nashua. Years ago when i had iron castings made i used Buchanan brothers foundry in Chelmsford Mass.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Don_Papenburg

If you need iron cast , CanDo in StAnne ,Illinois will ship across the country . send him a part or pattern . He will make the parts you need .  I watched him cast an exhaust stack  for a Case steamengine . It was about 65" tall .  He makes brake shoes for modelT fords on a standing order .  I have had a lot of parts cast myself . I think he does a good job . let me know if you need any info for CanDo Metals
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Skip

I gottta throw my 2 cents worth in this one of the most interesting posts I have followed in a long time loggah you the man !!  ;D

Bruno of NH

Hi Loggah
I live in NH and my BIL lives in Campton and is in the logging trade .
When you run the tractor I  would love to see it run .
Thanks Jim/Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

loggah

Jim, Who is your BIL?? send me a pm with his name ,pretty shore i know every logger in town. ;D I wont have this machine running until next summer. I got called from Maine radiator today ,my core is ready headed over to Maine on monday morning. I have the deck half done,will finish it tomorrow and then finish mounting the fuel tank. Don

ozarkgem

Quote from: loggah on November 12, 2014, 06:07:39 PM
Heres a few more pictures,i have the hood handles on, the steering chains on, fitting the td-18 fuel tank,and the newly cast platform chairs bolted on. I have a radiator core being built by Maine radiator in Auburn Maine,and today sawed out a big white oak to build the platform that the cab would bolt to. I am bolting down the platform green so it will dry in place.Heres a few more pictures.

I the last pic you may want to beef up that center drive shaft. Looks a little weak to me. ;)
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

loggah

The Lombard factory tried pretty hard to build things that wouldn't break ! ;D the shaft is solid 2 1/2" diameter steel and has some massive u-joints on each end. I have seen main axles spirlal twisted off and left in the woods and they are 3 1/2" in diameter! :o Don

loggah

Over the weekend i finished building the deck and then i finished bolting down the fuel tank.The floorboards in side the cab area are removable and the center panels over the driveline are also.I bolted and screwed this together out of White Oak we just sawed last week had about 500 board ft out of 1 log,i had a bunch of it sawn into 1 3/4" that i will stick and let dry to build the cab frame. Heres some pictures of the deck.

Buddyw

Nice work Loggah.
Wish I could be their to lend a hand.
I like that old equipment. ;D

loggah

Buddy, My work is pretty crude compared to your restored equipment!  ;D Snowing and raining today drove to Lewiston Maine and picked up my radiator core. I plan on bolting the radiator together tomorrow,and then start building my front skis.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

loggah

Peter,I actually have a set of skis all built out of red oak,they are on the back of my other tractor for display purposes.I am going to weld these up out of steel they are always in contact with the ground and wooden ones rot out pretty quick.I know they wont be right but they will be "NO" maintenance.

Peter Drouin

Good Idea, 6 or 8" wide 4 or 5' long ½" steel plate?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Don_Papenburg

maybe you could cover the top of the skis with white oak . make it look like wood skis  and very few would know the truth.

loggah

5' long,5" wide and 1' high.I will just let them rust,very few people know whats right or wrong,and most dont care.

Don_Papenburg

:D   Oh but they can tell you all about it.

loggah

Well yesterday i put the radiator together and bolted it in the tractor.This morning i finished  making up the hoses and filling the radiator with 15 gallons of  antifreeze mix. Heres the pictures of the radiator with core in place.

My next step is to  weld up the skis for it,and throw away those half rotten blocks of maple its sitting on!!!!! ;D ;D

JB Griffin

Real nice there Loggah, sure dont see any of them down here. :)
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

shinnlinger

I see I have a few more reasons to come visit.  Impressive!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Don_Papenburg

did they ever make them with a wheeled axle ?

loggah

Lombard made a axle assembly for summer use,i have one i made for my other tractor identical to a factory unit.I been cutting out the steel plate for my skis most of the day,probably take a several days to get them fully welded up and mounted.Heres my other tractor with wheels,the ski assembly is in front of it.

Thank You Sponsors!