iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Johnsered or Husqvarna?

Started by RKH Logging, March 15, 2014, 11:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKH Logging

Well i went in to browse for a new saw this morning and my local dealer is selling Johnsered now. I have been using stihl's for the past few years and decided to go with something different. I went in there to purchase a 372XP and after looking at the Johnsered decided not to purchase anything yet. Just wanted some pro's and con's of the cs 2172, which is identical to the 372XP. The Johnsered is $40.00 cheaper. What would you buy?

celliott

Really the only differences are the straight handle bar, and the husky most likely comes with a high top HD air filter VS standard filter on the jonsered. That and the color.
So what do you prefer? Red and black or orange  ;D

On a serious note, some folks prefer the straight jonsered handlebar, some prefer the angled husky bar. I have an old 372 and a 2171, I prefer the feel of the husky handlebar over the jonsered. Maybe pick them up, handle them for a bit, see which you prefer.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

nhlogga

They are the same saw. Pick which color you like best and which one feels the best as the handle angles are different.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

RKH Logging

Yea i think the $40.00 savings is calling my name. ill go with the johnsered. I m sure ill get use to the straight bar. plus i have yet to own a johnsered.

RKH Logging

the MOL (ministry of labor) had a quick look at my saws last week and none of them were up to snuff. chain catchers missing, no spark arrester in the muffler. chain brake handle cracked. figured it was time. this is my first brand new saw so i want to make it a good one. ill retire the old 064's to the camp firewood saws.

David-L

2166 Jonsered ported. There was a post i beleive in the saw section about this. I have a 2172 and a 2165,2159,2152 red saws. Run well and aircleaners stay amazingly clean for quite some time. i kinda abuse mine on the maintenance end and they still rock. You won't be disapointed.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

cutter88

I was up threw the sault a few times the last two weeks. but back to your question I love the 372xpg husky there a good saw but I will be purchasing two new 2172 johnys when start up time comes again end of may
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Corley5

I like the Jonsered's handle bar and colors  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

overtime

I have always used the 372xp loved them this winter I was cutting a spruce lot and the 372 was a little heavy so I went and got the 562xp little lighter and it don't lack much in power compared to the 372 just went yesterday and got another one.

Ed_K

I ran a 2171 for a few yrs,good saw the only problem I had with it was it spit sparks out with the screan still in it.I had an older 920 that was amazing but heavy.I'm running 376xpg and the new 562xpg and have no complaints with them either.
Ed K

Upnorth

Can't really give any input on the Jonsered vs Husqvarna debate, but I can suggest you stay away from the Husky Auto-Tunes as long as possible. I ran a 365 for 10 years, never changed so much as a spark plug. Wore it out, bought a new 562 Auto Tune. Was a piece of s@@t from day one, would run ok if you were patient enough to get it started, but would die every time after it idled then hit the throttle again. Fight some more to get it started........ Got tired of cursing a saw, went and bought another new 365. Love it. Get them while you can, they are discontinued due to emissions.......
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

bushmechanic

Well upnorth I was going to weigh in on this topic but it seems I'm not the only one with the 562XP problem. My wife gave me a 562XP for christmas this year and I've got the same problem with it, idle all day but hit the throttle and it hesitates and sometimes cuts off,very annoying when cutting. I had a 262XP before this one (still have it) and it is flawless but losing a lot of time now waiting on parts when it breaks down. I like the balance of the 562XP and is possibly one of the best saws I have used for limbing and it's lighter than the 262XP. I only use a saw to cut my firewood now but my son is a mechanic at our local husky dealer I'm going to get them to look at it and if they can fix it I'll post it back here so someone else might get their problem fixed also. Oh to answer the question about the saws I would still buy husky again tomorrow.

cutter88

Quote from: Upnorth on March 15, 2014, 10:10:42 PM
Can't really give any input on the Jonsered vs Husqvarna debate, but I can suggest you stay away from the Husky Auto-Tunes as long as possible. I ran a 365 for 10 years, never changed so much as a spark plug. Wore it out, bought a new 562 Auto Tune. Was a piece of s@@t from day one, would run ok if you were patient enough to get it started, but would die every time after it idled then hit the throttle again. Fight some more to get it started........ Got tired of cursing a saw, went and bought another new 365. Love it. Get them while you can, they are discontinued due to emissions.......

love the 240 mr, were up north do u live
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

tj240

jonsered and husky have the same motors, most parts are swapable.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

BargeMonkey

Husqvarna has a recall on the "autotune ignition" or "ecm" on the 562xp saws. I sent 2 back last week, would run then quit, finally had enough.

lynde37avery

i run two jonsereds one is a 2171. and i have a 362xp husky, i guess a lil smaller than a 372xp. i have come to like the straight bar on the jreds. and my parts guy is 3 miles from my house. and he gets me all my logging supplies just about.
Detroit WHAT?

Stephen Alford

This would be the average tree and twitch size. For simplicity have tried to find a saw that worked then just by a new one every year. The oldest is parted out to keep the others operational. Three working and one parts.  Dealer told me he was down to his last 359 xpg. Tried the new autotune but seemed to have start issue. Dealer said break in was the key.  The one I tried did not convince me.  Decided to go with one more 359xpg.
Beautiful day here yesterday,  bit of a blow for today 60cm snow, 110km winds.  Everybody is honkerin down hardly a car on the road.  Some say wierd,some say "sweet"  :laugh: :laugh:

logon

Skip

Husky all the way , Get an XP worth every penny, Got 4 of em  have a 62 still runnin got in the 80s

Ed_K

Everyone i know running the 562 is having carb problems.Mine has run great.I did realize that the bigger saws need to be put on high idle to start every time once you've cold started them.My 562,576 and 394 start using high idle,also the 385 at the highway garage no problems.
Ed K

ehp

I have had 7 - 562's , some stock, some very modded and not a single carb problem ever and I have modded lots for other people , the ported 562 I cut with everyday has past the 1 million foot mark and I cut everything I come to with it , biggest tree this week was a red oak at 57 inches on the butt and most of the timber I cut is 30 inches or bigger on the stump . Now as far as either a Jonnyred or Husky  motors are the same but the biggest thing I find is I can see the husky colour easier than the jonnyred in the bush as I leave my saw in the bush and do not carry it on the skidder on every hitch

Upnorth

Appears there are conflicting reports on the 562's. Similarily, a friend bought the same saw from the same dealer and he loves it. Mine went airborne on a few occasions.....sounds like some guys get good ones, others don't. In any event, I can't say enough about how good the Husqvarna 365's have been.

Cutter88 --Thunder Bay Area.....
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Upnorth

Appears there are conflicting reports on the 562's. Similarly, a friend bought the same saw from the same dealer and he loves it. Mine went airborne on a few occasions.....sounds like some guys get good ones, others don't. In any event, I can't say enough about how good the Husqvarna 365's have been.

Cutter88 --Thunder Bay Area.....
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

deutz4

Have loved jonsereds since we bought our first 601.(1970???) Have probably owned every logger size model since. Bought a few huskys but I never got used to the balance. My brothers always leaned back to the johnys too. Bought 3 2172's last year. they all start hard, idle too slow, and gag when floored. We have always self-tuned our saws but these have protected screws that need a special wrench to adjust. We don't do much handwork anymore but it annoys me that the EPA is crawling up my butt when I'm trying to cut the occasionally oversize tree or my firewood.

Kodiakmac

Quote from: RKH Logging on March 15, 2014, 12:07:05 PM
the MOL (ministry of labor) had a quick look at my saws last week and none of them were up to snuff. chain catchers missing, no spark arrester in the muffler. chain brake handle cracked. figured it was time. this is my first brand new saw so i want to make it a good one. ill retire the old 064's to the camp firewood saws.

Holy Mackerel.  Never in the history of human enterprise have so many done so little at such an expense to so few. 

Were your underwear okay?
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

JLeBouton

562 with techlite bar is a winner, IMO.

Olli

562 yes but i bu yet one last year when the came out she was a pain never run a hole day 3 times in the shop and last week she blow up . The found out she had 96 hours on ... ;D   no wounder after 1 tank you cute not get her running again ......Husky cafe me a brand new one for free and 6 chains on top ..this is a runner now i talk woodcutting  8)   562 yes but i like the 545 next week going to buy one

Thank You Sponsors!