iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

opinion/#$%&%$%

Started by Wyatt, January 13, 2006, 09:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyatt

OK, I know opinions are like , well, you know, but I am in need of a bigger saw. I have an opportunity to buy a rebuilt 046 mag in the $300 range. 28" bar. I build furniture and cut and dry my own wood. It would be for felling and cleaning ends for mill. Won't get a lot of use so I don't think I can justify a new one. Am I crazy or should I go for it? Thanks everyone! This really is a great place to come. I'm one of those people that read more than post, but I'm getting there!

Hoop

Here's my $.02 worth.

Any purchase of a used professional grade chainsaw is a huge gamble.  If you know the history of the saw and are OK with it, so be it.
The purchase of a used pro saw with an unknown history is a huge gamble.

"Rebuilt" means nothing.  In fact, it borders on deceptive.  Chain saws aren't rebuilt.  They are repaired.

Keep in mind that professionals rarely get rid of a saw that is in good running order.

beenthere

Wyatt
My $.02 is unlike the 'slam dunk' you got from Hoop, and I think some more information about the history of the saw would help form an opinion. Seems it could be a saw that wasn't used until it dropped, and just might be barely broken in. I think you will need to put some trust in the dealer who says it is 'rebuilt' and find out what was done to the saw to give it that 'classification'. Take it for a 'test' run and see how it handles, starts, and runs after it is warmed up.

Anyone can buy a 'professional' saw and they don't have to use it everyday in a 'professional' manner. So it is entirely possible that this saw has no more wear and tear on it than the professional saws that I own. A few cords of wood a year is about it.

Hope you can find out more information about the saw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

boboak

beenthere said it right.  Seems like you know what you want to use the saw for  and are willing to get it checked.   If it does turn out to be a POS look at it as an inexpensive education.  If it turns out to be what you want,you've made out like a bandit.  Have fun, be careful. :P
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

chet

I know of some jobbers locally that trade off their saws every year. And with the amount of mechanization in the woods today, them same saws may have seen very little use.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

isassi

I can see one flaw in buying this saw. If a pro used it, why would he trade it off unless......but I bet a pro owned it. How many recreational chainsaws are sold with a 28 inch bar? From what I see on E-bay, the price doesn't sound bad, but like boboak pointed out, education sometimes has a price.  ;)

fishhuntcutwood

Myself, if it looks good, I'd buy it for $300.  If it's been rebuilt by someone competent, you're good to go.  Rebuilds on professional grade saws are common, and worthwhile.  I've rebuilt many saws, and don't consider them repaired.  I consider them rebuilt.  If the rebuild is complete, and the core is sound, the rebuild is sound.  Which brings me to if the saw is poorly rebuilt.  If you're competent with a wrench, and round up a couple of manuals, you can get a piston and cylinder on ebay for decent money, seals and bearings from your dealer and rebuild it yourself, and be out the door with a nice 046 for less than $550 or so.  A good 046 is worth that...at least to me.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

rahtreelimbs

Ease the hassle and take it to a dealer you trust and have them look at it. If the owner of said saw won't agree to this..........then you have your answer.

Look Elsewhere!!!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

maple flats

I tend to agree with Chet. Find out as much history as you can and then make your decision. You have not given enough information yet. Good luck.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Chris J

The above advice is as good as it gets.  I agree with Jeff-a saw that has been torn down and put back together properly using good parts is a rebuilt saw.  I'm constantly amazed at how long some folks good with a wrench can keep a saw going.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

thompson1600

If the saw is "rebuilt" that's a really good price, jump on it.  If the saw is "repaired", then it's a toss up.  I'm in the same boat, I'm a woodworker who uses chainsaws to get lumber.  I rebuild a lot of saws.  A rebuilt saw can last as long as a new one, if it's done right.

Tom
Stihl Saws | 026 Pro | MS270 | MS360 | 038 Magnum | 066 Magnum | 084

Sawyerfortyish

Seems to me if the saw needed to be rebuilt then it was run for what it was worth. I've had stihl saws go for 15 years before needing rebuilds at that point your better off buying new. If the saw looks good but needed to be rebuilt then the former owner could have messed up the saw mix or played with the carb and messed up something else.  Have a stihl tech test the saw out. If this is a dealer selling it and he is reputable then that would make me feel better. But if it's a private deal look out.

Chris J

Quote from: Sawyerfortyish on January 17, 2006, 07:06:25 PM
Seems to me if the saw needed to be rebuilt then it was run for what it was worth.   

Well, yes and no.  In some cases a saw might have been ran to near death and a rebuild wouldn't be wise, but in other cases a good rebuild might mean that a saw is nearly as good as new.  Used saws, the same as used cars, always involve a certain amount of risk.

Just my .02, which is probably worth .00.

;D Chris J.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Wyatt

thanks all of you! I just got it yesterday! 046 mag Arctic (not that I need the warmer) for $375, compression checked, several neww parts and a new stihl 28"bar and chain! Man does it cut! I think it will last me a good long time!

fishhuntcutwood

If it's good, and it sounds like it is, that's a good price.

Let us know how it goes for ya.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Thank You Sponsors!