iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky dealer threw me a curve, need advice.

Started by edelen, February 07, 2005, 01:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacemule

15 trees the size you mentioned should easily be completed in a day with a competant saw.  For no more than you'll be using a saw, I'd have to say check out renting one at Home Depot.  If you only use a saw once or twice a year, it will likely be gummed up when you go to use it and won't run right.  If you rent one, you'll spend less money, have a big enough saw to get the job done, and won't have to worry about equipment being ruined from non-use.  Plus, it will give you chance to try a saw out before you buy, should you decide to purchase one anyway.

Quartlow

I'm with spacemule on this one, also check out the big rental stores,  RSC, United and Hertz.
That way you get to try before you buy

Of course with the limeted amount your going to use it you may only ever need a rental.  Kinda like pressure washers, never had one always rented it till I got the dozer.  Needed it much more after that and ended up going halves with the cousin on a Hotsey.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Lobo

You cant go wrong with the 346XP or the MS 260

Here is a little power to weight info.

Husky 345 = 10.4 lbs – 3.0 hp

Husky 350 = 10.6 lbs – 3.2 hp

Husky 346 = 10.6 lbs- 3.4 hp

Husky 455 = 12.8 lbs – 3.4 hp

Stihl MS 260 = 10.4 lbs - 3.5 hp

Normally in most areas there are more Stihl dealers around than any other brand which is great for parts, service, tips and all around general help. The dealer many times can be more important then the saw brand.

Invest some time holding them all in your hands and get the feel of them.
Investigate longevity also, some of the above are probably known to have better longevity than others. Resale value could be important in your case also,  once you are done you may wish to resell it some time down the road, some brands and models fetch far better resale value than others.

edelen

Finally bought the saw! Got the Husqvarna 350 w/ an 18" bar. It seemed to be the best blend of price, weight, reliability, power, and lack of vibration. I got a case, too, plus some bar oil and oil mix. They gave me an extra chain. Anything I need to consider besides safety equipment?

Unfortunately, the dealer had no chaps, so now I have to go back to the Stihl place to get those, unless someone knows a really cheap place to get the add-ons (helmet system, chaps, gloves, etc.)

Thanks to all who helped out here! This is a great forum. I'm sure I'll be coming back from time to time to trade info.

lucky_cutter

jjmk98k

I have had my 350 little over a year now and I really enjoy using it and it cuts pretty much everything i need it to. It's not a speed demon, but the sooner i get done, the sooner the wife has me doing something else.

that being said, a slow saw is fine by me.

good luck with it!

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Cedarman

Edelen, I can understand if your dealer is out of safety equipment, but if he doesn't carry them, I would question his standing as a good dealer of chain saws.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

hydro2

I have a Husky 353 which is about the same saw and just love it!  I cut about 6 cords of wood per year. I really don't worry much about the chaps, helmet and so forth.  Been cutting  about 24 years. 
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

OLD_ JD

Iam a full time logger and bein true a lot of saw so far ....but i still have 2 here who are part of my life ....a 257 and 254 xp husky...if the 350 last u as long those 2 did(and they stil run good)....u better bye a bush lot ;D
canadien forest ranger

StihlDoc

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 13, 2005, 12:59:31 PM
Is the MS310 still available down south? We flogged the last ones here last summer.

The STIHL MS 310 is still available in the States.

Chris J

I was thinking that I should make a post saying go for the 350 w/ 18" bar.  Maybe I'm a clairvoyant  :D!  Congratulations on your saw.  Be sure to keep you chain sharp, & have a back-up or two.  Maybe a spare bar j-i-c you get the saw pinched  >:( (it sometimes happens to the best),,,,,,Chris J.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

wiam

Stihl place to get those, unless someone knows a really cheap place to get the add-ons (helmet system, chaps, gloves, etc.)

I would add steel toes to this list.

Will

sawguy21

I actually had to convince my employer to stock up on PPE. He did not see any value in it because there was not a strong sales history. I told him we could promote it if we had it.
Most of our customers are acreage owning office types who have never used a saw and have no appreciation of the hazards. They say "I don't need that, I'm not making my living with it. Just cutting up some firewood". And I say "You are the person who really needs it".  Employer likes it now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

leweee

Never under estimate the need for PPE/ :P The body parts you save could be your own :o Play Safe & have Fun ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Kevin

Always wear the PPE, it's too late to buy it after an accident.
Watch out for those broken tops and limbs they kill lots of people in this business.

rebocardo

Northerntool.com carries what you need, though I like the green chaps from Bailey's because they cover more area and are heavy.

Thank You Sponsors!