The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Log hauling  (Read 11824 times)

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
Re: Log hauling
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2005, 09:17:34 PM »
I love it  8) 8) 8)

You just got to keep it out of the mud.  :(      It beats using a winch to roll/lift logs onto the flatbed trailer I started with.   I think over all it would be faster than the skid loader because you only need to take the trailer to the loading site and when you unload you can stack the logs as you unload.

The only setback I have had is due to the lifting capacity of the model I bought.  It's rated at 2500 lbs, but I've lifted way over that at times.   On really heavy logs I drag one end up onto the trailer with the grapple, then wrestle the other end up.   One really really heavy logs, I get out the chainsaw and make them shorter.  :D :D

I'm going to mount a winch on it in the future so I can drag logs close enough to reach them with the grapple.  Right now I use chains and use the grapple to pull them in close enough to lift.

I move my logs around the yard with a set of forks on the front of my Kubota.
Hidden Acres Farm
Been there, done that.   Never got caught

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2005, 08:37:16 AM »
I have a similar trailer ( mine is the ten ton model ) and it sounds like I have the same loader as Buck.  I have loaded the trailer using the log forks on my crawler but I found it is actually safer and quicker to dump the logs on the ground and use the arm to load the trailer.  Unloading then becomes much easier because the logs are stacked neatly.  Dumping logs is not really an option for me because that much rolling weight is too hazardous.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Offline flatsawyer

• Share Post
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2005, 01:17:23 PM »
Dr Buck that looks like the one I need. Does it handle most of your needs ok?

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2005, 07:12:59 PM »
Flatsawyer,

Handles most everything I get.  Occasionally, as I mentioned previously I need to cut a HEAVY log a little shorter than Id like to in order to load it.  For example, I have a nice 32" diameter white oak I'd like to bring home in a 16 ft length to make fence boards, but I will need to cut it to 8 ft to be able to lift it.   The boards will end up 5/4 in the kiln, be planed and sold for a lot more than fence boards.  ;D   Thing with fence boards is  they don't need drying and I can sell them as fast as I can get em cut.

My trailer is the Bailey's RFR05 which is 15.5 ft long log deck with a gross capacity of 13,300 lbs.   My loader is the Farma 46D driven by the 9 hp Honda powered hydraulic unit.  I think they now call it the model 155.  It has a 16 ft reach  and 880 lbs capacity at full reach and 1800 lbs at mid-boom.  The grapple has about a 45" opening capacity.
Hidden Acres Farm
Been there, done that.   Never got caught

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2005, 09:03:11 AM »
I purchased the RFR10 from Bailey's.  It has a 20,000 pound capacity a 170 grapple powered by an 11hp Honda engine.  The boom has a reach of 17' and can pick up 2500lbs close in, 2000lbs at mid reach, or 880lbs at full extension.  I went with the larger trailer because I mistakenly thought I could use it for double duty and haul the JD450 Crawler on it.  Because of the height of the deck from the gound (36") it is too tall to fabricate ramps I could stow and the arm is in the way to load the crawler.  I do use the crawler to pull it around fully loaded.  The triple axles cause the tires to slide when turning sharply.  It is a good trailer for hauling on the road but is a bit large for maneuvering in the woods.  I have yet to attempt to haul a load up the side of the ravines.  I think I will wait until I have completed my roads before I attempt a distance haul through the woods.  In retrospect I wish I had opted for the 214 grapple.  I like to bring the logs out in longer lengths when I can.  I am learning that you can never have too much power.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
log hauling

Started by stan064 on Forestry and Logging

10 Replies
Last post February 19, 2019, 03:03:39 AM
by snowstorm
xx
log hauling

Started by eddie on Forestry and Logging

58 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 09:06:32 PM
by ahlkey