The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Sterilizing barn wood  (Read 1336 times)

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • More is better but enough is best
    • Share Post
Sterilizing barn wood
« on: July 18, 2018, 01:35:31 PM »

I have a customer who built a piece of furniture out of barn wood and now bugs are emerging from it into the house. To prevent this from happening again on another upcoming project he has asked me if I could dry/sterilize about 40 bd ft of 2" thick pine barn wood.

My kiln has a domestic DH unit in it and I don't operate it above the 90s to prolong its life. I doubt his wood would need drying - only sterilizing and I am considering that because it would not require running the DH unit. I have electric heaters in the kiln and have gotten it up to 140 in the past. It is a terribly small amount of wood to put in a kiln; perhaps one could devise a makeshift drying/sterilizing technique for this specific purpose. Could anyone comment on this? I would like to help him out.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 16HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, setter, tandem trailer, log arches, tractor, thumb tacks

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
Re: Sterilizing barn wood
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »
You should be able to devise a solar collector to reach 135 degrees without a a problem for a small amount of lumber.

My solar collector for heating water has no problem reaching and holding 140 degrees 
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 05:52:40 PM »
Attics get awfully hot around here.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 Logrite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »
I agree with Sawyer Ted.  It's sound like it's a small amount of lumber.  If you scrounge up some kind of glazing, all you need is an insulated box or structure just big enough and painted black on the inside. You will need something to circulate the air.
HM126

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »
Id wait until your next load in the kiln need sterilization, then piggy back this mini load on top of yours.  I do this for some of my customers and works fine.  Normally, I piggyback the load when the current load is a couple percent above ideal MC, so I can physically insert it on top of my current kiln load, bring the MC down a couple percent to synchronize it with my load, and go right to sterilization.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 02:13:04 AM »
For a one-shot deal, rent a trailer and use an electric heater that will run up to about 150F.

To sterilize, we need 133F within the lumber.  Most solar kiln come close in the hot summer, but are not perfect.  For frequent sterilization, including pallets, build an insulated room with insulation that can withstand 150 F.  Use smoke alarms and other safety features.  Keep it away from home and shop.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 12:08:10 PM »
With dry barnwood, really the only bug you're going to get is Power post beetles/larvae.  Their cycle is pretty slow.  Once there is a finish on the wood, the mature beetles will no longer lay their eggs in the wood.  What they are probably seeing is the emergence of ones that were there before finishing.  Once those hatch out, you probably won't see any more.  This is what I learned from my research.

I've been using a lot of barnwood for trim etc lately, mostly oak, but some beech and a little maple.  My favorite finish is General Finishes High performance flat, 2 coats.  It's a flat urethane that makes the barnwood look good without making it look "plastic-y".  

If there is some other bug, let us know and post some pics.  You probably wouldn't need to but you could also go the chemical route using a borate.  You just have to know what you're doing so it doesn't affect the finish you want to apply.  With kiln sterilization, there is some risk of warpage.  Not sure how much?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »
I sterilize every load of lumber I dry in my DH kiln.    The last 24 hours after I reach target MC,  I run the temp up to 160.   Haven't had any issues in over 10 years now.
Hidden Acres Farm
Been there, done that.   Never got caught

Wood-Mizer LT40 Super- Wide HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 07:58:50 AM »
My customer brought the barn wood yesterday. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the end of a test piece and inserted a thermocouple. The TC is encapsulated with epoxy in a 1/4" plastic tube and made a very tight fit in the hole. I inserted it 2" in the 2" lumber. Turned on the heaters, set the thermostat at 140F and 6 hrs later the air temp was 130 and the inserted TC read 124. Went to bed and I was not awakened by any fire trucks during the night.;D Left it for 9 hrs and the air temp and inserted TC reading was 138F. I assume it was at 133F long enough to do the job. I turned off the heat and am now letting it cool slowly in the kiln. Comments?

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 06:04:24 AM »
SouthSide's thread on sterilizing reminded me that I never followed up on my thread. 

When I opened the kiln the counter top was still flat - glad it didn't warp! There were dead carpenter bees on the floor, so I assumed I assumed the process was a success. Customer was please with the results and so was his customer.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Sterilizing barn wood

Started by Jeff on Sawmills and Milling

0 Replies
Last post July 18, 2018, 06:29:35 PM
by Jeff
xx
Sterilizing 8x8 white oak beams

Started by Raym on Drying and Processing

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2018, 06:54:25 AM
by Don P