The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: This is why you always sanitize lumber  (Read 2941 times)

Rags and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sedgehammer

• Full Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
Re: This is why you always sanitize lumber
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 07:20:30 PM »
Here's a product that penetrates deeper than Timbor, while more expensive, does give a little better protection

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/bora-care-boracare-termites-powderpost-beetles

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 07:25:08 PM »
thanks for the info fellows , I was getting kind of discouraged and have not even started yet . I will stack the lumber as y'all have said and let the wood peckers take care of the bugs .
Don't get discouraged.  Forewarned is forearmed! You wouldn't get discouraged because you have to change the oil or replace a bearing would you?  
HM126

Offline gdaddy01

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 09:39:37 AM »
good point  just changed the oil in my truck yesterday , only has 348,000 miles on it , I have tired to take good care of it . I guess this new adventure is going to take the same amount of care , I am looking forward to it .

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 10:44:48 AM »
You really should change your oil more often than that.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline gdaddy01

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 08:23:56 PM »
maybe I misread the owners manual . change oil every 3500 miles instead of 350,000 miles

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »
gdady01 be careful if you haven't started sawing. Once you inhale that 1st taste of Sawdust you will be hooked. Look at the rest of us on this site. We all suffer from this issue.
Run  now while you can! running-doggy
:D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 04:12:09 AM »
I have to take such extreme efforts because we sell wood as a business, can't use chemicals, and although its a little intimidating, I must have the confidence and chops to stand behind my product, to sell my wood to customers or builders who are buying it because they are replacing, under an insurance claim and lawsuit, wood that they bought from someone else which wasn't sterilized and had and caused insect damage.  That will give you second thoughts and make your skin crawl as a business owner, I guarantee it and make durn sure the old kiln hit the magic 150F for a day!

Wait a minute!?!? I thought you could just buy a $240 Amazon chainsaw mill, slice up some walnut slabs, and cash-in on a great Facebook Marketplace gig selling green wood? I see it all the time...big price tag "freshly sawn" slabs. Silly us with kilns....wife likes less vacationing. ;D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »
We're fortunate being so far north to have much fewer insect problems than you have down south. But this late summer/fall I milled up some ash for flooring in my house and planed it down to 7/16". I stacked and stickered them in my basement to finish drying before install and got a good number of hatched out red-headed ash borers down there and have had a few upstairs since the install as well. Good thing it's my house and not someone else's. At least they keep the cats entertained.

Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 08:58:44 PM »
As a quick review, for hardwood lumber, the only insect that is active under 12% MC is the lyctid powderpost beetle (plus the termite).  Basically, the wood is too hard to bite and chew for other insects.  The lyctid is indeed serious as it can infect adjacent lumber even though the insect may not show up with its holes for a year or two.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 07:11:28 AM »
Gene,

What about softwood lumber for construction purposes? Since most of it seems to be "kiln dried" to a standard that is WAY less dry than hardwood, what is the net effect?

Also, can the PPB do enough damage to effect the integrity/strength of building material?

Just curious...thx
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2019, 07:24:18 AM »
The lyctid PPB only affects grainy hardwoods.  It can make tunnels during its lifetime that greatly weaken the wood.  Other PPB can affect wetter wood and softwoods.  Some foreign countries host other PPB that affect dry softwoods.

So, there are no lyctid PPB or other PPB in kiln dried softwood construction material...the kiln process if over 150F kills them and any eggs and after kiln drying and planing the moisture is too low and the surface too smooth for new eggs, etc.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2019, 08:27:14 AM »
We're fortunate being so far north to have much fewer insect problems than you have down south. But this late summer/fall I milled up some ash for flooring in my house and planed it down to 7/16". I stacked and stickered them in my basement to finish drying before install and got a good number of hatched out red-headed ash borers down there and have had a few upstairs since the install as well. Good thing it's my house and not someone else's. At least they keep the cats entertained.

Alan
Very good information.  So I'm curious about the drying and process you used.  It was air dried in your house then run through a planer?  Do you know what the moisture content was?  Did it have a finish applied?  I've had people tell me that if they used an oil based finish, the fumes would kill the insects still in the wood, but I never really believed it.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 05:21:29 PM »

Alan
Very good information.  So I'm curious about the drying and process you used.  It was air dried in your house then run through a planer?  Do you know what the moisture content was?  Did it have a finish applied?  I've had people tell me that if they used an oil based finish, the fumes would kill the insects still in the wood, but I never really believed it.
It was air dried outside down to 10-11% during our dry fall weather before being planed and ripped into strips. Then stacked in the wood stove heated basement until it was reading 8.5-10%, which is what the exposed basement framing read as well. Obviously it would have been better to plane and rip after the final drying but my nicer shop equipment is 15 miles from my house and I didn't want to cart it back and forth.
After the install it received a single coat of shellac and then 3 coats of water based poly.
Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2019, 10:23:47 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the info.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
wannabe lumber miller/Husq 353/lumber jigs/log arches and spruce

Started by jimbarry on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 06:39:18 AM
by jimbarry
xx
Cutting beams and lumber with a Haddon lumber maker.

Started by richhiway on Sawmills and Milling

17 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 05:02:35 PM
by richhiway
xx
Dimensional lumber / Green Lumber building forum?

Started by grweldon on Technical Support Topics

10 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 02:59:57 PM
by mad murdock
xx
Vintage lumber yard, built to air dry lumber

Started by low_48 on Drying and Processing

0 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 11:30:07 PM
by low_48