The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: First saw  (Read 1888 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: First saw
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
watch those videos on the Stihl website and at least each time you stick your bar, you can say to yourself (and a few other words of your choosing)  "I knew that was going to happen".  sounds like a great first saw.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.

Offline wild262

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2019, 02:39:18 PM »
        One thing I might add while were on the subject is that MS-250/251 is a plastic cased saw.  They won't take a lot of twisting and tugging if you get your bar pinched.  They will break with too much force.   A metal cased "pro"saw will take a little more, but not a good idea with any saw.  Its a common beginners mistake that you can avoid now that you know.  Got two 029's sitting here because of that problem. I work on saws as a sideline hobby and have seen most everything.  That's a good idea with the videos too. Watch them and take note.  Be safe and apply what you learn.  I sure wish I had a forum like this when I started out. :)

Offline Sadlerracing529

• Share Post
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2019, 04:20:14 PM »
I sure am glad there is a resource like this to use thats for sure. I will look into those videos and into the classes that were mentioned as well. Im sure in time I'll be able to repay the debt and contribute to the forum a little more after im not a total newbie

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »
Cheaper yet, just get you some plastic wedges of various sizes and use them on a cut you have doubts with "before" you pinch your chain.  Cut with a seasoned friend or buddy a while, or learn from an experienced user will help you to.  I'm sure it will happen as it has with all of us, but just learn how it happens, so you can prevent it next time. Wedges while its takes more time to stop and use them, they sure save you a lot of grief.
Wedges all the way, I always got three 10" in my pouch. 12" and 8"ones in the truck.
But this little cast iron wedge made by Sandvik will get your saw unpinched every time.  In bigger trees it opens up the backcut enough to get the bigger plastic wedges started. I might only use it once or twice in the last 5 years but it's worth its weight in gold.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline wild262

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2019, 04:21:44 AM »
Cheaper yet, just get you some plastic wedges of various sizes and use them on a cut you have doubts with "before" you pinch your chain.  Cut with a seasoned friend or buddy a while, or learn from an experienced user will help you to.  I'm sure it will happen as it has with all of us, but just learn how it happens, so you can prevent it next time. Wedges while its takes more time to stop and use them, they sure save you a lot of grief.
Wedges all the way, I always got three 10" in my pouch. 12" and 8"ones in the truck.
But this little cast iron wedge made by Sandvik will get your saw unpinched every time.  In bigger trees it opens up the backcut enough to get the bigger plastic wedges started. I might only use it once or twice in the last 5 years but it's worth its weight in gold.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

I'd like to have one of those Holmen!  Where should I go to look for one?  Many thanks.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2019, 08:10:45 AM »
I bought it at our Canadian Tire, you could probably order it online .
It's actually designed for splitting firewood rounds.

Offline wild262

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2019, 08:20:48 AM »
              I'll do some checking.  I'm teaching my Son n law the basics of chainsaw operation/handling, as he wants to heat his new house with a small outside boiler.  This would be a nice gift to give him and 1 for myself as well.  Thank You Holmen :)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »
I looked on amazon and did not see that brand/style.  If someone finds a source, could you share please.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2019, 11:13:26 AM »
Sorry fellas its not a Sandvik. It says Fiskars on the wedge.

Splitting Wedge / Yard and Garden / Products | Fiskars Canada

Offline deminin

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2019, 04:20:35 PM »

I have been looking at a Stihl Ms 271 farm boss or the Husqvarna rancher but just looking for advice either for or against these saws as i dont know if they would be the best fit for my purpose and am trying to learn.
Thanks in advance everyone

I have a MS271 and it is strong enough to handle all my needs, and light/small enough so that it's not a struggle to handle.  I would recommend it.  

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter