The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: mobile mechanic rates  (Read 7894 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: mobile mechanic rates
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2019, 01:28:53 PM »
Years ago I traded my busted up goldwing for an 1800 international wrecker. Since I had no use for it, the only logical step was to buy a wrecking yard. It was about as much hobby as it was making a living with it, but I sure had a lot of fun trading for the couple of years I had it.

I have had some pretty good luck at auctions, MOST times.  I passed on a super clean first gen dodge cummins dually service truck, because I could not hear it run. It sold for 2500 and ran like a top. If I had jumped in on the bid, it may have went for twice that or more, you just never know.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2019, 03:16:01 PM »
Well your logic is sound, i will give you that. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2019, 03:53:27 PM »
What I meant by hobby, was I had and made my living with a dumptruck at the time. The wrecking yard had recently crushed out and didn't have many cars in it. i built it up and it payed the help, payed for a shop I built and before I got rid of it, it was profitting well enough to support a family and all the help, PLUS all the trading I did. It actually was not a bad deal. 

Later years I I kind of had another one basically what I accumulated from having a shop and wrecker service for almost 10 years, it is amazing how much stuff a guy winds up with.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2019, 05:46:34 PM »
No seriously.. Im like wrecker.. Yeah that leads to wrecking yard. Just the natural progression.  Wrecker beds should come with demo torches by law. 

Offline old-iron-habit

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2019, 10:37:00 PM »
The reason for the high cost charged by cat on the slope, is they have to fly the mechanics back and forth every 2 weeks. They also have to put them up in a camp and pay for their meals, at probably 200 a day or more a piece. It is just a logistics thing.

They actually lost money when they increased the rate, and now can't keep mechanics as they don't draw wages just because they are there and available.

Good luck running a service truck and keeping a flexible schedule. I ran a couple of them out of my shop for 9 years. It was a 24/7, 365 days a year deal and I had to just dissappear out of town to get any time at all off.

Trucking is not for everybody at all, and really the industry is designed to be a 70 hour or MORE if you run your own, but it has it's rewards too.
My health has pretty much limited me to running my log truck, which is by far the least hours I have ever worked, but also the least money too, but at least I still enjoy it and can somewhat handle it.
I have been reading these posts and will add some comments based on being in the industry, construction and logging for 50 plus years. I do not see how any one with a 1 ton service truck and a good head on their shoulders could operate for much under $100 an hour port to port. You need to get paid to drive to the work. If you were home working in the shop you would be getting paid. You need insurance, + workers comp on yourself, sooner or later you will get hurt. Your truck and tools are not free, again insurance, maintenance, replacement in time. You need to pay your self a living wage and putting some away for retirement. If you are not meeting these requirements you are only fooling yourself and will probably end up with a low SSI payment when you finally draw because your reported income was always low. Remember if you have more work than you can handle and can not keep up, or never home because of to much demand on your time, your rates are to low. You should not be getting every job, that is a warning sign for any business.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2019, 11:31:25 PM »
When I ran my service trucks, I charged a set rate plus mileage to get to the job, came home on my dime. My rate was a little better than hourly too though. I charged mileage for chasing parts at a slightly less rate, and never done it myself if I could help it, I had several people that chased parts for me, using their own vehicle and gas for a fee. 

Offline Carl Hankins

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2019, 06:36:55 PM »
When I had my shop, I did work for (national break down services) they called me with a number to contact the driver and company that was requesting the repairs, (this is a service provider you pay for referrals) our rate was 85.00 per hour (2 hour minimum) 1.00 dollar per mile and parts were marked up 35% up to 1,000.00 dollars and 30% after that,we turned work down everyday.
Carl Hankins some call me Hank

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »
These days im driving a pete 379, out 5 or 6 days a week.  Not sure what the future holds but im still chipping away at it all as the good lord allows.  Thanks to everyone for all the emails and concern.  I had to quit playing on the internet to accomplish anything and cold turkey was the only way.   

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2019, 01:40:09 PM »
I hear you Mike- I love to be on here, but nothing's getting done when I am. I'm glad to hear that all is well!
Too many irons in the fire

Online Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2019, 10:18:18 AM »
Glad to hear from you Mike
Keep the faith
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2019, 10:54:52 AM »
Hi Mike, it's nice to hear from you and have you back on the FF! We all hope your're doing well
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Looking for mobile Mechanic in NH-MA

Started by Woodboogah on Forestry and Logging

32 Replies
Last post December 21, 2014, 07:45:07 AM
by snowstorm
xx
Mobile mechanic in southern Ohio

Started by Brian w on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post January 24, 2019, 05:35:25 PM
by Brian w
xx
Mobile mechanic needed in southern Ohio

Started by Brian w on Job Opportunities

0 Replies
Last post February 05, 2019, 02:59:30 PM
by Brian w
xx
How Mobile is the Mobile Dimension Mill?

Started by Mulekicker on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 07:38:32 AM
by dgdrls