The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: I just got home with a 2011 LT35HD - I need your counsel on how to succeed.  (Read 17887 times)

apm and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
About the only thing I modified on my 35 - at least intentionally as there have been a couple of attempts to shorten the clamp, turn the mill into a telescope, etc - was to get rid of the hex bolts that hold the rollers onto the back stops and replace them with carriage bolts.  This will reduce the number of times you "zing" the backstops and wreck a band as the carriage bolt sits almost 1/2" lower than the hex head does.  This really comes into play when the back stop is about 40% of the way up as the bolt head is actually the highest point with the OEM set up.  

Had to round the shoulders of the bolt to make it work and clipped the carriage bolt head square so a wrench would hold it while tightening it down, it has never given me any issues since. I imagine there is a flat pan head bolt with a recessed allen slot in it out there somewhere, but I had the bolts on hand and it worked.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Get a few logs of your own or from family and friends. ,  People who just think it is cool you have a sawmill and cut some wood.  I still remember making my first cuts all alone in my yard.  Part of the fun.  I have had a few glitches,( not mistakes).  some required repair, most I have never repeated, all of which I learned from.  If you cannot figure something out, as you can see, that is what some guys on here "live for" so keep posting and asking. You will be posting your advice soon.  If they really want the lumber, you start by charging low or at least enough to offset expense.  If it all turns out great, you are in business.

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
Next week I will have owned my sawmill a year.  Much of the advice given above is what I heard 12 months ago.  It is good advice.

Ill add that you need to set your business up correctly.  Some run their mill business through their farm, some set up an LLC and others set up a corporation.  Get some expert guidance on setting up right.  Get insurance.  Some jobs will require certificate of coverage. Ive had about a dozen that have. Theyve been the best paying and best supported jobs Ive done. 

Know your capabilities.  Dont be afraid to stretch but know when to turn down jobs when they are beyond what you can do without losing money.  

Build a network of suppliers and potential customers.  You do this by logging miles visiting hardware stores, feedmills, lumber yards, agricultural events, craft fairs etc.  Handout business cards any chance you get.  Ten contacts will produce one follow up.  

I set up and saw by the road when I can. I put up my yard sign. 

Make it fun. Dont press on days when you are struggling with equipment.  Relax things will fall into place. I dont mean dont work hard. Of course work hard but when things arent right stop, figure out why.  Some days its better to go do something else.

Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Mike:
You need to keep in mind that on a sawmill the blade is the heart of the machine.  Your blades need to be properly remanufactured so that the mill performs at its best.  I personally would not send a lot of blades to a local sharpening shop the first time.  
Keep an eye on the toe rollers they are a good option and useful, however if you forget to put them down you can make some long door wedges.  i.e. scraped another board.  Note: I did have a customer that wanted wedges to level a floor.  That was a challenge but we got her done.
Personally it took me between 80 and 100 hours before I felt comfortable using the mill.
I frequently use a board to check the height of the clamp to make sure I won't hit it as I saw a cant down.
The bolt SSL mentioned changing I have hit so many times that I have lost count.  I should rotate the roller bolt hex head 90 so the next time I hit it good I'll be able to use a phillips screw driver to remove it.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: I just got home with a 2011 LT35HD - I need your counsel on how to succeed.
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »
Grretings Gents!  Thank you so much for all the thoughtful posts. I have read them multiple times... to my wife also. We were both very impressed with the breadth of perspectives and wisdom. 

Update on my situation. I had the day of training and it was great. 

I wanted to ask all the questions I had and started listing them out in my OneNote program; however, the shear volume of questions is significant and I thought that I might be able to answer them myself after reading the woodmizer manuals that came with the mill and watching the videos; so, I have decided to wait on asking all but time pressing questions out of consideration. I have not gotten to read the manual yet.... Well, the day after milling, I had to move a bunch of items I had in a temp storage location. At the end of it, my friend asked me to use my skidsteer with forks to move several pallets.... well, the starter gear got stuck on the big sing gear and was burned up in quick order and actually caught my skidsteer on fire. PANIC :) Thankfully, we got the fire out. Unfortunately, I need a new starter and I "MAY" need to pull the engine and replace the ring gear...ahhhh :) I am no mechanic, but I will be sort of.

Just glad it did not burn up. 

Then, we had a break in the weather and I needed to grade the site for my pole barn. Without my skid... my old buddy Craiger brought over his small bulldozer and got it done. 

I will be mounting fire extinguishers on my equipment... and master switches and I mean soon. 

WV Sawmiller, I would love to see your list of standard kit for mobile jobs. 

Woodpecker52, my wife has said the same and indeed the the saw is the Lord's... now to actually operating (doing) it as His will be the challenge beyond my words. 

Ben Cut-wright, I moved here a year ago from Calico Rock, AR. I imagine you are somehwere out near Fayetteville area. That was a very thoughtful post with a LOT of good meat.

I am not really healthy or fit as I compare to my past, but I think I can overcome this deterioration of my strength, speed, and stamina.. Sad truth. I was seriously injured in my last profession which was very physical. The other day, I experienced the weight of some wet poplar and Oak the other day and WOW, that stuff is heavy. I am considering how I can operate in this endeavor effectively as the dimensions get harder to handle.  I am considering how I can fit in and preserve my back. I could do a static operation and use equipment to handle materials more. However, I will see how it goes and adapt myself to a place in the market where I can serve well. 

Your comments were focused on getting to hero... excellence. Do you have any recommended reading or other media that has been particularly helpful to you in the pursuit of excellence?

Southside Logger, already added carriage bolt mod to list of things to do on my 35.

SawyerTed, thank you for the very practical advice from your first year! I have written down several questions that flow from this, and will ask more once I do my dilligence. 

Gerald, I am discovering that there are many differnt blades. I have about 30 blades that came with the saw. 15 dull and I will heed your good advice and send them to Woodmizer; but, I discovered they are different blades. This is one area with several questions as I was shocked to read for this wood use this blade, for that wood use this other blade, etc... I can't imagine having 50 bloades, so I am sure I will discover a happy blade for 90% of the mixed species of trees for my area. 

I will update you all as I progress on this great adventure. 

-Mike

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2019, 08:54:03 PM »
A few pics from my first day of milling.
Beautiful golden hour image as the sun heads toward bed. My buddy Jordan and his precious family live in the log cabin. We were milling for his blacksmith shop. Notice the facade on the front of his blacksmith shop addition. Here is his webpage: https://axe-n-anvil.com/
Next is the board from my first cuts. It is not too good, but still very cool. 
Last pic is the yummy and steaming hot soup my 17y/o daughter had waiting for me when I arrived home. 20 degree morning that day... cold for these parts. :)

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 09:58:51 PM »
Mike,

Look around for some "skate rollers", 10' sections work well and in the used market $7 / foot is the going rate in these parts.  They are worth their weight in gold when it comes to dealing with lumber.  With your 35 you can set up the rollers just outside of the saw dust line, about halfway down the saw, and pivot a board from the cant onto the roller and simply push it away - you don't have to lift it off of the mill, walk with it, set it down.  The most you are lifting is maybe 20% of the total weight.  You can even push it right to your stack pile then only have to pick up one end and walk it onto the pile.  A little tricky with the first board if you are stickering but after that it's no problem.  Check Craigslist under terms like "Racking, conveyors, rollers"  etc.  I personally prefer skate rollers over the pipe style for moving lumber because you can independently roll two boards side by side using skates, can't do that with pipe rollers.  

Good luck and enjoy the sawing!!! 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 12:23:30 AM »
Mike, that is a beautiful piece of land your friend has. i did enjoy the few months i spent in that part of the country, tn/ky that is, but i was glad to get assigned to c co. 7th batt and get back to tx. if fires are every in that area and my ship is close enough, i'll try to make a trip to see you. good luck with your endeavors and hopefully you do well. i have found this site to be VERY informative and with folks that come from all works of life, with a wealth of knowledge. a master of none, but a jack of all it seems. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 06:22:24 AM »
You will need a cantdog or a peavey to roll-move logs and cants.The website will tell you the difference between a cantdog and a peavey. Easiest way I remember,peavey starts with a P and has a Point on the end. Logrite,sponsor on the left,made in USA has them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 08:05:02 AM »
Mikey, when you get your mill cutting really good, and you are super pleased with how a band cuts in a tough log.....like some big knots or something.  Stop the ill and take that band off, and hang it in a safe place.  Reason being is that some day you are going to get a log or logs that just dont want to saw right.  You will begin to question if your mill has gotten out of adjustment, when that happens, and it will,  then go get your (holy grail) blade off the wall and put it on.  If the mill then cuts ok, you just had a blade problem,  if it still wont cut.... you might have an adjustment problem.  You would need to check and make sure you are not damaging the band with your rollers or such.  I keep one hanging in my sharpening shed for just such an occasion.  Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 Logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 09:33:43 AM »
Excellent! 

thecfarm, one of my questions is... what size cant hook? My buddy had a 42" long cant. Not sure about the other part. I guess that ought to be appropriate for me since we have the same area to mill in? 

Banjo picker, that goes on my golden tip list and I have already started it. Inexperience can lead a man down a rabbit hole because of doubt. That is a good safety net. I will keep my eye out for the holy grail blade. 

Charles, while the fire in my area would not be so cool, having you stop in for a visit would be! I certainly don't have your hours in a Chinook, but I have had many dozens of mission infils/exfils on those workhorses in my past life. In Afghanistan, that was all my unit used with the exception of a blackhawk for MEDEVAC. Reason: blackhawks could not get over those many 14,000 ft ridgelines with more than 3 passengers. 

BTW, anyone watch those DVD's offered by Wood-Mizer "Edge on Sawing". Not sure if it is worth my spending my penny's $65 to be exact and would love some advice on that? 

BTW, just ordered starter for skidsteer and guy is putting it in mail as I type this; so, I hope to have it up and running in 2-3 days time. 

-Mike

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 02:46:25 PM »
   I would suggest at least a 60" canthook (Logrite - tell them you are a FF member when you place your order). Two would be better. One of the 78" ones would be handy when you come across a real monster log. A short mill special is handy to turn the cants on the mill - I keep an old non-Logrite under the front of my mill all the time for that purpose and reserve the Logrite for heavy duty log turning/loading. I have the same mill you do too but you have better MHE and such.

I bought the WM Edge on Sawing and found good information in there. If you pick up 1-2 tricks to help you improve your efficiency, sales or safety it would be worth the money. I like going to demos, workshops and shows where other sawyers are there to compare notes. One good tip at each show makes them worth while plus you make contacts that may be useful in the future. Even going to see other mills besides WM will show you some tips. It may make you appreciate your mill more or may make you want some other feature not on your mill.

Be careful but don't be afraid to make mistakes or to share them here. You will find a pretty sympathetic group here who can relate and advise.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 02:54:25 PM »
Customsawyer just posted his 2019 sawing event, it is April 5 and 6, this will be my first trip there but in the years past there has been a mountain of experience and information there so if you could make a road trip to Rentz, Georgia it would be worth your time.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »
MIKE I have to say that I think your attitude and enthusiasm will take quite far, now you just to put in some hours.  yes that is a compliment.  have fun and be safe.

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2019, 11:30:14 PM »

Charles, while the fire in my area would not be so cool, having you stop in for a visit would be! I certainly don't have your hours in a Chinook, but I have had many dozens of mission infils/exfils on those workhorses in my past life. In Afghanistan, that was all my unit used with the exception of a blackhawk for MEDEVAC. Reason: blackhawks could not get over those many 14,000 ft ridgelines with more than 3 passengers.

-Mike
iv got a couple hrs in hooks. even a lil front seat time. in iraq, we did a bunch rips for you guys, since there weren't enough mh-47s to go around. lawn darts are about as useful in aghanyland as submarines are in the sky.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2019, 08:15:51 AM »
Mike,

Check out this thread.

Milling books? in Sawmills and Milling
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 08:20:17 AM »
You've gotten lots of good advice, and all of it is given by experienced folks.

Here are a couple very useful videos I watched, both are very useful for teaching aids.  The first is Lawler Sawmill, and an LT40 is being used to cut a log from start to finish from a guy  who knows what he is doing.  He's not fast, his mill isn't fast, but he gets it done, day after day.  Shows basic, reasonable sawing steps, how to off load, how to edge, estimate yield, etc.  Lots to learn from this video.  As you get more experience, you will change it up some.

The second video is of an Amish circle mill, the other end of the spectrum.  Other than being fun to watch, the main key on this video is to watch the sawyer as he rotates the cant through its paces, with the intent of keeping the pith centered, which is crucial to good sawing.  Proper sawing technique is crucial, and its important to keep a board is balanced, centered (no matter where it comes off the cant), has even sapwood on edges (for hardwood species) and faces.  Watch him rotate the cant and figure out why he is doing it.  Then see if you would do the same movements, and why or why not.  As you get more experience, you'll "see" more of what he is doing and why it may be good or bad for your application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8nyrP8bclI

A couple other tips related to your physical health, which is important if you want to keep on sawing.  I have an artificial hip from playing collegiate sports.  However, it has helped me be more efficient.  To put things in perspective, if a thousand board foot of logs weighs 8 tons, and even if you load the logs hydraulically, except for the sawdust, every ounce of that log is coming off the mill as flitches, slabs or boards and you will be potentially handling every one.  If you mill "just" a thousand bdft per week, you will be "hand" handling over 800,000 pounds in a year, year after year.  Now imagine what that weight number is if you mill every day, like some of us.  Proper handling of stuff coming off the mill isn't optional, its paramount to long term survivability.  

I'll leave you a few pieces of advice I think about EVERY day.  
"Never lift both ends of the board at the same time."
"Always take steps to save steps."
"Don't cut anything of yourself off."

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
Words to live by indeed.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 Logrite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
YH,

Nice videos. I like the guy in Camden although I typically vary the process a bit. I normally saw the first side and a flitch or two to get the face I want, flip 180 and repeat. I start the second face at a point I will end with the thickness I want for finished boards as the log allows (Example 12",10", 8" etc.) then I flip 90 degrees, saw the round off and a flitch or two till I get to clean wood then I flip to the last face and start on a mark off my cheat sheet so I finish exactly on the desired board thickness. I check and sometimes have to cut an 8/4 in a batch of 4/4 or a 4/4 when I'm cutting 8/4 to keep from splitting the pith but I check that before I make my first cut. Another change I make is I edge against a cant. When I get down to about a 3-4 inch cant I  stop making boards, stand the flitches up and edge them then finish sawing the cant down to the last board. I like the extra full length stability of sawing against a cant instead of just clamping  bunch of limber boards in the center.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2019, 10:19:43 AM »
Here are my thoughts for the new guy. If I read it correctly,you came out of an office job.
Start an exercise regime with weights and cardio and throw in a yoga class every week for the stretching. It can Be as simple as a good brisk walk every day. Throw in some weights a couple of times a week.  You only need 30-45 mins a day.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Read and you will succeed.....

Started by OlJarhead on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post February 23, 2016, 11:27:39 AM
by OlJarhead
xx
LT35HD Best 1 day output

Started by thechknhwk on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 07:36:20 PM
by thechknhwk