The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Nyle L 53  (Read 569 times)

Offline Downhill Cutter

• Share Post
Nyle L 53
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »
I recently met Danny Hamsley by phone.  What a helpful guy!  He invited me to joint the Forum . . . Thanks!
I'll be attending the April event. Day 1 is particularly timely as I just took delivery of the working parts of a new L53.  My dilemma is sizing for the box itself.  My interest is primarily KD'ing slabs.  I have access to an ongoing supply of "wide" material (hardwoods) . . . 48" is not unusual, and sometimes over that.  I THINK I'd like to be able to KD material up to 16' long for table tops, as well as occasionally high quality dimensional material that length, but I don't know if those lengths are practical or marketable. 

Basically, I"m looking for input regarding the inside dimensions of my kiln box, and, unfortunately, I must build it before the Event. 

Thanks in advance

Downhill Cutter
If you do what you SHOULD do, WHEN you should do it, for Long enough . . . Pretty soon you'll be able to do what you WANT to do, WHEN you what to do it, For the rest of your life (within limits).

Offline K-Guy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • http://www.nyle.com/
Re: Nyle L 53
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »
Hi Downhill
I'll be glad to help.

Stan from Nyle
800-777-6953
Nyle Kiln Sales & Service

Offline Mossy Chariot

• Forest Vue LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:23:42 PM »
Hey Downhill,
Keep us informed on your decisions and progress. I am currently planning on a similar build and also plan to be at the April Event.  
Thanks!!!
Tony B
LT35HD, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Stihl 250 & 460, can-am Defender

Offline Downhill Cutter

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 03:15:57 PM »
Mossy . . . Thanks for the encouragement.

A couple of weeks ago, I finished the exterior of the chamber.  I had a slab poured, nominal 14' x 8'.  Dumb luck, I guess, but the dimensions meant that I had almost zero offcuts as I framed the chamber and sheathed the exterior.
, as called for in the instructions, with 1/2" cdx over 2x4 studs.   I used typical sheet metal roofing as per Tennessee practice. I built it this large so I can dry 12' material.  I might need auxiliary heating to heat that much air, but everything's a trade-off, right?

I'll finish the interior in mid-May, and I'll keep you posted.  I'll put up a couple of pix as soon as I have any that are relevant.

Cheers 

If you do what you SHOULD do, WHEN you should do it, for Long enough . . . Pretty soon you'll be able to do what you WANT to do, WHEN you what to do it, For the rest of your life (within limits).

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 05:23:57 PM »
The key to a DH kiln chamber is to think of it as a swimming pool, with the liner to the inside.  It must be perfectly air tight and so then water vapor tight.  Since the kiln interior has a high and low pressure side due to the baffles and fans, any leak in the internal moisture barrier will allow slightly pressurized, warm moist air to infiltrate into walls of the kiln, causing mold and a loss of insulation integrity.  So lots of insulation and water tight on the innermost wall and you will do fine.

The L53 is a wood drying machine.  You've got a good one.  

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Downhill Cutter

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 02:44:28 PM »
Yellowhammer ;

Thanks for the "pool" analogy. I'll be finishing the kiln over the next couple of weeks, and doing my best to keep all the moisture either on the inside, or going out the outflow pipe . . . NOT leaking through into the framing and insulation.

Really helpful mental image.

Muchas Gracias,

DHC

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Nyle L50 vs Nyle L200

Started by nanook on Drying and Processing

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2007, 08:55:24 PM
by David Freed
xx
Nyle L33?

Started by oakiemac on Drying and Processing

2 Replies
Last post December 11, 2004, 05:38:29 PM
by oakiemac